Author Topic: Trying to find a vendor for ~100 custom logo Esc keys  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Eugene

Trying to find a vendor for ~100 custom logo Esc keys
« on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 05:08:13 »
I've tried searching through old posts for answers, but it's daunting. I'm looking for a vendor who can fulfill an order of about 100 keycaps with the silhouette below for members of my gaming community

(I have a higher res version)

Do any of the major names have MOQ that low for singles? I know I can have these pad printed on ABS at WASD, but I would probably prefer PBT and some other method of printing. A white/gray logo on a black key would be best. I guess that eliminates dye-sub unless someones willing to sublimate the image into a white cap and then mask/dye the rest black. Backlit ABS caps were brought up as something people would like as well.

Should I just not bother inquiring with Signature Plastics, GMK, IMSTO, etc. and look at smaller shops?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 February 2015, 05:11:31 by Eugene »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Trying to find a vendor for ~100 custom logo Esc keys
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 08:23:22 »
There's never any harm asking and I'm sure they would all be happy to make your caps - the only question will be how much they will charge.

Looking on the completed SP buys this doubleshot  SA ABS 1.75x is surely a custom design and it was $2.50 a cap if it got to 100.  Yours is only a 1x and I'm guessing you don't want a big SA cap so it should be cheaper :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Moralless

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 08:31:40 »
Agree with suicidal_orange. I think your best bet is with Signature plastics, their customer service is great and you should be fine inquiring them about this since you're planning to order more than enough to meet the MOQ. It should be a bit cheaper than the buy that suicidal_orange linked since SA profile keycaps are generally more expensive compared to their other profiles. Also if you plan to make it a group buy which would be hosted on their website (if you're ok with other people not from the gaming forum to have the keycap) it's basically guaranteed that the MOQ will be met since you're already ordering 100 and any more orders will definitely make it cheaper for you overall as you might break more price points.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 11:21:55 »
Fair warning, SP might not do it.  For the reason of what the image is.  They might, and could probably turn it down due to copyright issues.  If that is the case than about your best bet is to get in touch with Imsto and ask him if he will dye sub them.  As he is not located in he US, he has done logos that other companies won't touch.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Eugene

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 21:37:52 »
I personally feel it's outside the realm of copyright since it's a hand-traced vector and a fairly generic silhouette, but we'll see.  But then again Coca-Cola Company gets militant over anyone using silhouettes remotely resembling its bottle shape...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 21:55:12 »
Contact Melissa at SP, and ask her if they could produce your caps. Again, nothing to lose and you may get a nice PBT die subbed cap for your community. They just start doing PBT work in DSA and DCS recently.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 23:12:45 »
Contact Melissa at SP, and ask her if they could produce your caps. Again, nothing to lose and you may get a nice PBT die subbed cap for your community. They just start doing PBT work in DSA and DCS recently.

I was under the impression that light on dark wasn't something within the capability of dye-sub unless you cheat by masking a lighter colored cap. I'm only vaguely familiar with the printing types though. I wonder if laser+infill would look okay. Doubleshot would probably look best, but I hear SP doesn't do much doubleshot PBT? Doubleshot ABS would probably be fine in the end.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 February 2015, 23:20:11 by Eugene »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 03:47:19 »
Maybe IMSTO $3.90 each though (maybe you could knock him down a bit for 100).

http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=93

Maybe something from here (with the possibility to dyesub onto dark keys):

http://keycapdiy.blogspot.jp/
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 03:49:39 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Eugene

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 04:36:52 »
Yeah, the second link is the DecentKeyboards guy I think? I ordered 4 samples from him. Hopefully making black keys isn't as painful as that blog makes it look.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 08:04:54 »
I'm still looking. I've e-mailed IMSTO and GeekKeys primarily, but their responses have been glacial...a week to respond at best, I'm not even sure they read my last replies. I'm assuming SP is one of GeekKeys' suppliers. As I'm almost sure I wouldn't have any luck getting official authorization from Blizzard, I'm assuming my best bet is still IMSTO or some other Asia-based seller? I just want to get these damn keycaps made for my forum members, haha.

I'm basically looking at blue/gray PBT keycaps with black printing, and possibly black-coated ABS backlit keycaps.

Also /wave at MissAlaire.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 08:15:43 by Eugene »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 11:44:49 »
Couldn't you pm sp?

Offline Eugene

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:06:35 »
SP had IP/copyright concerns.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:06:03 »
Good to go with 50 backlit keys from GeekKeys. Just need IMSTO to get back to me about doing some thick PBT dye-subs.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:56:06 »
What is it a silhouette of?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Eugene

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:35:27 »
It's a Warcraft universe Tauren flexing/posing.

Offline Vectivus

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 15:27:12 »
Good to go with 50 backlit keys from GeekKeys. Just need IMSTO to get back to me about doing some thick PBT dye-subs.

Don't give up on this dream ;D

Offline Fusion

• Unknown Lurker
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 14:45:50 »
I personally feel it's outside the realm of copyright since it's a hand-traced vector and a fairly generic silhouette, but we'll see.  But then again Coca-Cola Company gets militant over anyone using silhouettes remotely resembling its bottle shape...

Searching Google with your image pops up with a bunch of ElitistJerks links. It's pretty close to their logo. I couldn't call the Coca-Cola logo mine if I hand traced over it-it's still ripping off the logo.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:37:41 »
EJ is the community I'm talking about. It doesn't own the image, Blizzard does.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:39:28 by Eugene »