Author Topic: NIB XT Model F  (Read 1901 times)

Offline rdjack21

NIB XT Model F
« on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 09:59:34 »
I'm putting this here in the ebay finds section because this board is on a bidding site but it is not on ebay. The question I have is this really what it seems to be.

I ran across it when digging around on Yahoo Japan and here is the auction link for it. Check out the price the seller wants for it 25,000 yen! I may keep an eye on this one and see if someone buys it but I bet at that price and how it was listed it will not get noticed. It also has auto relisting turned on for the auction wonder how much the price will go down on the relist. Oh well just thought there would be some members that would be interested in this.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

NIB XT Model F
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 10:17:50 »
Quote from: ripster;110586
NIB Model F AT

I read this as "Model Fat" about 3 times.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
NIB XT Model F
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 August 2009, 10:18:33 »
Quote from: ripster;110586
Now in my limited knowledge of the Model F does the lack of "AT" on the silver label mean that no way will this just hook up to a PC as is?

Yep, need a special adapter circuit to interface them with AT.

And the odds of you finding a NIB AT model are very very limited. Besides, they dont seem to be as prone to spring wear as the Ms (or at least no one has complained yet)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
NIB XT Model F
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 17:30:15 »
Or maybe it's the stem hitting down on the hard plastic?

Think about it, once past the point of actuation, the switch doesnt do anything. You're just pushing the keycap/stem down and the spring further out to the side. The hammer is still in the down position, and doesn't change till you release the key.

My Boscom function key Test-O-Matic is mounted directly on the metal plate and doesn't feel appreciably different than any other Model M with rubber mat/membranes so I don't know what's going on there.

Surprise surprise...

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
NIB XT Model F
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 18:33:21 »
That's if you bottom out on them, of course. I don't really find that I do that. Obviously YMMV depending on typing style.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2009, 18:39:30 by ch_123 »