Author Topic: Questions about keycap profiles of CM Quickfire Rapid-i and translucent keycaps  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Art of Payce

Dear Geekhack,

Really need some help putting a board together. As of right now, I'm 95% sure on buying the CM Quickfire Rapid-i with MX Reds (plus a Keycool 22 in Blue Kailh or MX Clear or from Massdrop).

My goal: Replace only alphabets A to Z with blank translucent keycaps of a very similar or identical profile to the stock keycaps on the Rapid-i. Don't laugh, but I'm going to put sticker legends for Korean on them. I was originally going to buy the new Leopold FC900R w/ LED and doubleshots, but sadly, from what I've seen online, the Korean legends don't appear backlit. If they are, they're dominated by the luminosity (and size) of the English legends which I need to be equally or less bright. The only decent keycaps with backlit Korean legends are Nkeyboard, but I can't justify the cost; still, if you've seen anyone selling their keycaps from this board, please let me know!

Anyway, does anyone know what profile the stock keycaps on the Rapid-i have? Are the tops flat or do they have any noticeable angle? I'm indifferent about the texture due to sticker legends, but I need the replacements to closely match the remaining non-alphabetical stock keys in size. (Flat tops are a plus, but not necessary.) I don't want to uninstall all of these due to fit, if possible.

As for blank translucent keycaps, I found these so far:
I know DCS is significantly shorter than OEM, but again, I can't tell what profile the Rapid-i has. Couldn't find the profile for the Max keycaps. Cherry perhaps?

Any ideas or other suggestions? Thanks for reading and helping out in advance!

Photos of the Rapid-i (thanks TechPowerUp):
Edit: Removed hotlinks (you'll have to Google, but they're easy to find)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 21:02:43 by Art of Payce »

Offline crazystu

The stock key-caps on the Rapid-i are OEM profile, and are thin ABS with what feels like a rubber coating. The tops have a standard cylindrical (not flat) shape.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
The problem with the backlight glow is the position of the LED. If you look at the MAX Universal set images you can see it clearly.

Anyhow, the the MAX set will be the closest to the stock Rapid-i caps and should match pretty well (they're both OEM profile, but OEM isn't actually standardised, so there may be some small differences).
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Art of Payce

Thanks crazystu! I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Oobly, thanks for your input as well. I think the LED position shouldn't be a problem since I can custom cut the sticker legends with an X-Acto knife and affix them accordingly. Cheap mod, but I think I'll be satisfied with it. Also, hey, can you tell me how you like DCS Family? I read one of your posts from last year saying you dislike flat profiles. Why? Do you find a curved profile better for typing? I feel like a uniform flat profile on top helps with finger travel. I don't get tripped up. (P.S. I love the haiku in your sig).

Lastly, I'm paying $200 USD total for the board, keycaps, O-rings (Silicone, 50A, 0.40mm on Massdrop), and sticker legends. It's my first mechanical in years though. It's not out of my budget, but I'm wondering if I should just wait more and test some more switches before making yet another change of mind.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 February 2015, 11:39:24 by Art of Payce »