Author Topic: Logitech G600: Discussion & Brainstorming  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Art of Payce

Logitech G600: Discussion & Brainstorming
« on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:10:01 »
I'm 100% buying this mouse for productivity. (I don't game at all.) I was recently inspired by ExcelMouse.com and I thought it would be worthwhile to see how other G600 users have squeezed the most juice out of their 20 buttons. It has been said many times over that the possibilities with this mouse are endless; personally, I find myself mentally concocting macros when I'm daydreaming AFK.

I've invited seasoned owners vun and Kamen Rider Blade to share their experiences and tips. Anyone else who may have bright ideas: feel free to join in with brainstorming even if you don't own a G600! It's all about the ideas. (e.g. different ways to use it, in-app, between apps, macros, etc.)

Offline tbc

Re: Logitech G600: Discussion & Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 05:25:09 »
i have a lefthanded razer naga, razer's competitor to the g600.

as a starting point, i bind all my ctrl presses to it.

ctrl c
ctrl v
ctrl shift b (build in visual studio)
ctrl f
ctrl n
ctrl shift t

there's no point to chording when i have a single key alternative :)

etc.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Commoner

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 08:49:34 »
I think the Razer Naga Mechanical is better than the G600. I own a G600.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 10:25:45 »

I own the G600, and unfortunately I must agree. The G600 feels really loose and cheap. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to buy another Razer mouse until they fix the adhesive issue.

Offline Art of Payce

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 13:18:42 »
Thanks for your input, tbc. I'm making a .DOCX with a chart for everyone to more clearly map out their binding profiles.

Could you share maybe three reasons why? What do you think about the uniform profile on the Naga's thumb keys? I'm in favor of using the G600's contours to touch-press instead of look-press. Although, I'm not in a rush since I don't play games and this is purely for Office and like apps. I haven't touched the Naga but I would definitely appreciate a better squeeze. I tried my hand on the G600 and it's too wide. I don't like it, especially since I'm a fingertip gripper, but I was going to give it a chance anyway. I think the side buttons are reason enough to try.

I read a ton of reviews preferring the G600 to the Naga... and vice versa. About the only comparison I haven't done is how the softwares face off. I've glanced only at Logitech's software. Some small issues with switching between profiles for different apps, but it works for most people; profiles are generally set-and-forget. The only real concern I have is getting a newer version of the mouse for the firmware, which proved to be a big deal. All of the 4 star and lower ratings I saw hinged on this issue (old firmware = jumping cursor and other things).

I own the G600, and unfortunately I must agree. The G600 feels really loose and cheap. Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to buy another Razer mouse until they fix the adhesive issue.

I'm not a fan of the build quality, either. I can set aside that complaint though if it just works. Is the issue you're referring to the glue oozing out of the right side? Yeah, that's a pretty big deal in my opinion. Doesn't the Naga get warm? How's the temp after prolonged use on the G600?

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 20:22:17 »
As somebody who has owned too many Razer products only to be disappointed by each one.
I'm glad to go back to Logitech. The build quality / reliability is so much nicer.

As for what my daily keybindings are for normal windows navigation:

Mouse Wheel Left = DPI Down
Mouse Wheel Right = DPI Up
The Right Ring Finger button = DPI Shift
G8 = Mode Switch
G7 = Default DPI

My Thumb Bindings are:
[Forward][Back][Prev App Window][Next App Window]
[Redo][Undo][Prev Browser Tab][Next Browser Tab]
[Cut][Copy][Paste][Double Click]

The flexibility of this type of mouse is only limited by what you want to do with it and what you feel like binding.

The nice thing about having this many keys is that I'm not forced into using the keyboard if I don't want to.
It's also a nice way to prevent RSI by not having to use the same motion all the time, I can switch whenever I feel like it.

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 20:27:25 »
Thanks for your input, tbc. I'm making a .DOCX with a chart for everyone to more clearly map out their binding profiles.

Could you share maybe three reasons why? What do you think about the uniform profile on the Naga's thumb keys? I'm in favor of using the G600's contours to touch-press instead of look-press. Although, I'm not in a rush since I don't play games and this is purely for Office and like apps. I haven't touched the Naga but I would definitely appreciate a better squeeze. I tried my hand on the G600 and it's too wide. I don't like it, especially since I'm a fingertip gripper, but I was going to give it a chance anyway. I think the side buttons are reason enough to try.

I read a ton of reviews preferring the G600 to the Naga... and vice versa. About the only comparison I haven't done is how the softwares face off. I've glanced only at Logitech's software. Some small issues with switching between profiles for different apps, but it works for most people; profiles are generally set-and-forget. The only real concern I have is getting a newer version of the mouse for the firmware, which proved to be a big deal. All of the 4 star and lower ratings I saw hinged on this issue (old firmware = jumping cursor and other things).

I'm not a fan of the build quality, either. I can set aside that complaint though if it just works. Is the issue you're referring to the glue oozing out of the right side? Yeah, that's a pretty big deal in my opinion. Doesn't the Naga get warm? How's the temp after prolonged use on the G600?

I have the old firmware G600 (On both of my G600's) and there is no cursor jumping issue for me
The mouse never gets warm to the touch. The only warmth is from the body heat of my palms.
The contoured buttons with middle tab indicator is genius.
My only issue with bindings is that you better use keyboard shortcuts instead of the command bindings. The command bindings that the software sends doesn't always work reliably while having the bindings send keyboard keystrokes is reliable.
I've never had any profile swapping issue with Logitechs software, it detects the .exe file running and switchs as it should.

Offline tbc

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 21:26:54 »
I should be specific about the razer naga I was using.  I was using the naga 2014.

that one DOES have contoured macro buttons which imo are very good.  both the contours used and the actual feel of the keys
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Art of Payce

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 February 2015, 22:57:25 »
Maybe the left-handed models are immune, but I'm a little concerned by the horrendous reviews of the 2014 Naga's durability (particularly since it doesn't seem to be remedied all that well by customer support). "It's great! Until it dies" kind of reviews put me off. I'd rather stick with a similar product of more reliable longevity that works 95% of the time and deal with the kinks. BTW, we are definitely still on topic since we're talking about a competitor of the G600.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:22:47 »
SCRAP that stupid side button design the G600 has, take a look at the Naga 2014, it took what little improvements the G600 had over the Naga/Naga 2012 and blew it out of the water.

But regarding the scroll wheel related issues, I'm not really sure if the scroll encoder used on this mouse is really the TTC 1230020000000 mechanical wheel encoder as it appears to be, or a cheap Kailh knockoff, but lately Razer has been using some really low quality components due to their partnership with Kailh. Sooner or later, they're bound to release some "Razer" branded switches for mice to replace the OMRONs, which will be just rebranded Kailh switches and that's when we will all know that they've hit the rock bottom.

The G600 and Naga 2014 don't get warm at all after some time. Now, the Old Naga Molten...

Those LEDs really overheat...
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 February 2015, 10:47:38 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.