Author Topic: So about Topre...  (Read 6307 times)

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
So about Topre...
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:28:09 »
Hey guys.
After I've seen how people hyped this keyboard, I wanted to try it for myself. I was in doubts as it's so expensive, but i decided to give it a go since so many people only speak positive about it.
After a lot of consideration, i decided to buy the Realforce 87U Tenkeyless with unified 55g-weighted switches.

Even though I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, I'm going to say it: There is NOTHING special enough about this keyboard to justify spending 300$ on it.
The build quality is good, yes. The PBT keycaps feel amazing, yes. The special "thud" feels unique, feels like typing on butter, yes. But does that all justify the price? No, imho it doesn't. I prefer cherry MX feels to Topre, still.

I wouldn't like for this thread to become a ****storm and a place for arguments. What I would like is hear from topre lovers; What is it that you admire about this keyboard. What is it that makes it THAT much better from MX boards in your opinion?
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: So about Topre...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:28:51 »
Dude there's already like 100 threads exactly about this and most people agree with you.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:33:23 »
Even though I don't have one (yet), I do enjoy the sound it makes A LOT. I can't say about the feel as I haven't typed on them, but I really really really enjoy the sound.

With key switch feel, it's 100% subjective, and it depends on the person whether or not they like a switch. An example of this is that I find mx clicky switches to be pretty meh, and only sometimes do I enjoy them.

Also, give a bit of time for the board to be broken in, as from what I've heard it will make it better. Unless you don't like it at all, and want to get rid of it as soon as possible to try to make up for the money you spent on the board.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:35:46 »
null

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:40:11 »
Show Image

Exactly, that's why I'm asking the topre lovers on this forum about their arguments as to why it's the board of all boards. :thumb:
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:40:19 »
Topre is best because I think it's feels the best. If you don't think it feels the best then, that's cool too.  :thumb:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:42:02 »
I just prefer topre to cherry. Feels way smoother to me and 55g is snappier and smoother than everything except clears. Everyone's entitled to their opinion!  :thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:43:49 »
I just prefer topre to cherry. Feels way smoother to me and 55g is snappier and smoother than everything except clears. Everyone's entitled to their opinion!  :thumb:

Wtf, more than 1 reasonable Topre user in a thread? Where is demik?

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:44:47 »
Seems to me that whether it's worth it depends on your financial situation, and of course how much you like Topre.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:46:22 »

Wtf, more than 1 reasonable Topre user in a thread? Where is demik?
/r/mk?

But yeah. I'm a fan of all types of switches but considering keyboards are my primary hobby, I decided to just go with my absolute favorite switch, which just so happened to be Topre.

I do like me some linear MX style switches though.  ;D

After giving nearly everything a test run, I realized that I value smoothness over tactility. I type with enough accuracy that tactile feedback was more of a novelty/gimmicky thing. For me it's all about the feeeels.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:53:40 by Sygaldry »
null

Offline steve.v

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:59:29 »
Hey guys.
After I've seen how people hyped this keyboard, I wanted to try it for myself. I was in doubts as it's so expensive, but i decided to give it a go since so many people only speak positive about it.
After a lot of consideration, i decided to buy the Realforce 87U Tenkeyless with unified 55g-weighted switches.

Even though I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, I'm going to say it: There is NOTHING special enough about this keyboard to justify spending 300$ on it.
The build quality is good, yes. The PBT keycaps feel amazing, yes. The special "thud" feels unique, feels like typing on butter, yes. But does that all justify the price? No, imho it doesn't. I prefer cherry MX feels to Topre, still.

I wouldn't like for this thread to become a ****storm and a place for arguments. What I would like is hear from topre lovers; What is it that you admire about this keyboard. What is it that makes it THAT much better from MX boards in your opinion?

Some days I feel like typing on my ergodox clears, then my poker blues; on most days I type on my HHKB Type S. It's all personal preference. It's like saying, why should I spend more on good quality food, when it's just food. They are just keyboards roll eyes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:06:53 by steve.v »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:01:39 »
Hey guys.

Some days I feel like typing on my ergodox clears, then my poker blues; on most days I type on my HHKB Type S. It's all personal preference. It's like saying, why should I spend more on good quality food, when it's just food.
Mechanical keyboards, for the most part, are a quality of life kind of thing.
The keyboards that come with OEM computers are perfectly functional and work perfectly well.  ;D
null

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:30:42 »
i like topre because topre likes me
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:32:44 »

Does scotch like you OR is this going to end with all of us shooting each other in the balls in some german basement/pub?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:35:30 »

Does scotch like you OR is this going to end with all of us shooting each other in the balls in some german basement/pub?

both
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:36:46 »
If you try Topre and it isn't for you, then nothing anybody will say is going to change that.

It has everything to do with personal preference. There really is no discussion to be had, because it's simple. Some people prefer Topre to MX, others prefer MX to Topre. And still others prefer Buckling Spring/Alps/something else to either Topre or MX

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:58:18 »
If you try Topre and it isn't for you, then nothing anybody will say is going to change that.

It has everything to do with personal preference. There really is no discussion to be had, because it's simple. Some people prefer Topre to MX, others prefer MX to Topre. And still others prefer Buckling Spring/Alps/something else to either Topre or MX
To add to this beyond stock switches there are dozens of mods that can change the feel.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 19:29:17 »
sheeeet. I just ordered myself another Topre board.

Started from the bottom (MX) now we here (Topre).
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline skuko

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:06:04 »
QFR -> Filco -> FC660C was my path

recently switched out my FC660C for the TKL filco with MX reds, lasted for about 30 mins. dunno, i just prefer topre. my second FC660C arrived 30 mins ago :)

does it justify its price?

that's personal preference. for me it does, otherwise i wouldn't have bought it. :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 06:15:50 »
I got my Realforce second hand at a decent discount ($175) not knowing for sure if I would like Topre or not. After having used it for a couple weeks theres no question I could have spent full price for it and still been very happy. In fact, I've barely touched any of my MX boards since receiving the Realforce.

Different strokes for different folks.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline aref

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:04:26 »

With respect to stock switches, you said all that needs be said. Kudos to you.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:08:19 »
you gotta wait for the post purchase rationalization to sit in.

Offline hodori

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:13:25 »
First all... I would like to get it out there, as many others have said before me, that keyboard feel is all personal.

Now having said that I wouldn't trade my Realforce 87U for anything else. I love the Topre switches. For me it's all about the feel and sound. I couldn't type on other mechanicals (and I've had keyboards with all the switches including clear, green, and an old IBM M). The biggest factor was me was that the Topre had no excess sound.

When I start typing I start becoming aware of the sounds of the springs squeaking and metal stabilizers rattling around. After awhile I found those noises started annoying me. For me this is the reason I love the Topres the most as all it has ever given me are solid sounds. For me, that was worth paying that much for the keyboard for that sense of peace while working.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:35:16 »
The biggest factor was me was that the Topre had no excess sound.
55g Realforce with Type-S stems is the quietest keyboard I've ever typed on.  :thumb:
null

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:39:23 »
I feel that Topre's are the best then ergo clears are next  just because I do =) :thumb: Btw it isn't $300 for a topre because they can be had for about half that price without any problem.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:41:09 »
I dig the HHKB because of the mixture of size and FN layer. I haven't ventured into the blind Torpe love, yet.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 19:58:01 »
People spend over 300 on custom keyboards.... It's not like topre is something special either.  They're all tools.  If you like it good for you.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 03:35:39 »
I kind of agree that Topre seem expensive. However a decent MX board in the UK like a Filco would be £110+ (I'd buy PBT caps so £150 all in) and a Topre would be £190. The quality over the Filco is worth it for me. MX switches always feel a little cheap to me, modifiers on Topre boards are tight. The switches just feels amazing. Made in Japan so always going to be more expensive with workers getting better pay. I own too many products already where people are stood on for there production so will make this choice where I can. Ethics aside. Topre just feels amazing. I can understand why some would be underwhelmed. But once illusion is dropped and the delusion of reality is dissolved you're left with dat oneness of cup rubber, all just seems so right with the world.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 03:37:38 by Sencha »

Offline spale

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 03:43:32 »
First of all give it some more time, and no,its not worse then Cherry. I have exact same model, it feels great like always. I tried MX blue, also but they cant compare.

If I hear you one more time you claim that Cherry is better then Topre:

Offline Polymer

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 04:08:53 »
Hey guys.

How long have you been using it for? 

I'm sure you've read this somewhere in your research..but give it time..like a month, before making any decisions about the keyboard.  Some people give it less than an hour or a few days but really, you have to give it time so you can really see the difference when you go back to Cherry.  Probably half the Topre users on here started off not liking them or thinking "is this it?".  Some people gave them a bit more time a lot of those are still Topre users today...

Ultimately, whatever you prefer is what you prefer...that's all it is, personal preference.  You can go away knowing you're happy with what you have and that you've tried one of the main other alternatives...

Offline keyhopper

• Fun is Key.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:31:41 »
It's the force curve:
See

Hypersphere key switch force curve thread:
        https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63305.0

Topre shares with buckling spring the trait that the force collapses after a certain point.
But unlike buckling spring, Topres are much more silent and smooth.

Also the consistency of the keys (hit from every corner and they go down smooth, except the left CTRL key which is special),
the PBT keycaps, the hypnotic thock thock thock.

I bought my Realforce 87U black 55g like 4 months ago, and I'm still in love with it.
Sometimes I switch to other keyboards for fun but always return to the RealForce.

It kinda ruined other keyboards for me  :D

Cheers!
.KeyHopper.

RealForce 87UB 55gr    |    IBM Model M (1995)    |    Razer B.W.T.E. Stealth (w Razer oranges)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 10:54:05 »
Too bad he was wrong in that thread..

Offline steve.v

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:42:08 »
I'll buy it from you 10% over what you paid for.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:44:58 by steve.v »

Offline steve.v

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:56:41 »
Show Image

Exactly, that's why I'm asking the topre lovers on this forum about their arguments as to why it's the board of all boards. :thumb:

Are you saying you bought the keyboard without researching and reading what others have said about the keyboard? Now you're asking what you should have asked before buying it lol?
Everyone's experience/perspective on a keyboard will be different from yours; what else can be said if someone believes typing on a topre is like nirvana; it's just their opinion.
Therefore an opinion is different from an argument. No one's forcing you to believe what their opinion is regarding a keyboard. If I believe cherry mx keyboards are the best keyboards, it's just my subjective opinion.
If you don't like something you bought just because it wasn't what you expected nor suited you, no need to bash your own experience or others, nor re-ask what can be done by researching the forum through the search option.
Don't like it; sell it to me  :)).

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 15:56:08 »
Just happened to come across this after having posted a topre typing video (I'll make a better one soon)~

It's a rough video but it says a lot "about Topre..."

The sound of cup rubber is healing to the soul~

Offline keyhopper

• Fun is Key.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:11:02 »
Too bad he was wrong in that thread..

I think both were right in that thread.

The BS force curve does continue to go up after activation, but remains below the force at the activation point for a long time, so it feels like it doesn't increase, since your finger keeps going with the previous force, which is almost not surpassed up until the last point of the key travel. So it *feels* as if it collapsed.

Cheers!
.KeyHopper.

RealForce 87UB 55gr    |    IBM Model M (1995)    |    Razer B.W.T.E. Stealth (w Razer oranges)

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:20:54 »
Hey guys.

Whew, that saved me money!   :p

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:24:47 »
I love my topre feels and I love my ergoclears feels.

It really depends on what you want. Topre is so satisfying and I got myself some hipro topre since I love cylindrical keycaps.

Just like linear switches aren't for me, topre might not be for you

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:25:09 »
Hey guys.

You shouldn't discount the 55g Topre yet. Unless you've tried it, you don't know it it's not for you =)

OP's post is purely his opinion. Some people love 55g Topres, some don't. Same goes for all switches. You never know unless you give it  whirl
null

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:51:05 »
I love my topre feels and I love my ergoclears feels.

+100

You've got the best of both worlds~ (I also love my vintage blacks tho)

Hey guys.

I respect isaske for his opinion. As nice as the Topre is, it's not for everyone :)

My experience:

I do hope you will give it some more time though, and keep typing on it for about a week or so. I ALSO DISLIKED my 55g Realforce when I first got it, and I thought it was too stiff (I had a 45g 660C before it), but it eventually grew on me as I learned how to type on it. To think I almost sold it!!! As weird as that may sound, I type differently on each of my boards depending on the spring weight/stiffness, keycap profile, keyboard height, and switch variant. I also have many other Cherry MX boards to compare them, so I'm not just coming from Topre boards (I love my ergo clears as much as my Topre :P ).

I think diving straight into 55g Topre is kind of like diving into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim. As much as I love my 55g, I also love 45g Topre and I think everyone should start their Topre experience with 45g. It's just so much easier to notice the difference and distinct feel of Topre. Getting into Topre is definitely an expensive process. I can understand if people want to make their decisions based on reviews. Trust me, I'm really really really hard on myself before purchasing on any keyboard. However, I was one of those people who took the leap of faith and just made the expensive investment because I was just so curious. I'd be lying if I didn't say that my curiosity and decision for buying it was from my PURE love for the sound of Topre :P I ALSO wasn't too impressed with Topre when I first got it and was kind of underwhelming, but Topre is one of those switches that, in many cases, grows on you with time. It needs to be typed on differently than that of Cherry switches. Topre is all about bottoming out and typing with that in mind, unlike something like Ergo Clears which I don't type in the same manner (I try to lift off after actuation/tactile point). I ran into the same problem when I bought my 55g Realforce (2nd Topre board after 660C), and I was actually quite disappointed, and almost sold it off. However, I kept it and typed on it for about a week or so... never looked back.

Friend just got to my house so I have to cut this short~ I'll have to continue after I'm back later tonight or tomorrow~

TL;DR ~ For some, including me, Topre takes a lil' bit of time to get adjusted before getting the full experience. Not guaranteed, but if you get adjusted like I did, Topre is a new world that provides new pleasures for your fingers~ I wouldn't say they're better or worse than Cherry MX~ Just different~
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 18:11:47 by VesperSAINT »

Offline yogrt

• HHKB Pro2
    • Yogrt
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:55:28 »
I kind of agree that Topre seem expensive. However a decent MX board in the UK like a Filco would be £110+ (I'd buy PBT caps so £150 all in) and a Topre would be £190. The quality over the Filco is worth it for me. MX switches always feel a little cheap to me, modifiers on Topre boards are tight. The switches just feels amazing. Made in Japan so always going to be more expensive with workers getting better pay. I own too many products already where people are stood on for there production so will make this choice where I can. Ethics aside. Topre just feels amazing. I can understand why some would be underwhelmed. But once illusion is dropped and the delusion of reality is dissolved you're left with dat oneness of cup rubber, all just seems so right with the world.

:thumb: couldn't agree more.
Happy Hacking on a:
Toughbook CF-19 MKII
with a:
M-XT1URBK USB track ball
running:
Manjaro Linux x86_64

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 18:34:28 »
If you do not like Topre, that's fine (for you). How would it change your opinion to hear why some people like their Topre boards? Maybe it's genetic, like the taste perception of phenylthiocarbamide (PTC). To some, PTC tastes extremely bitter; to others, it is virtually tasteless. Communication of the sensation or lack of it would be difficult between these two genetic types. ;)

Offline dante

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 20:46:00 »
I only have two big beefs with Topre:

1. First, I hate the standard space bar orientation.  The angle on it is terrible and bothers my thumb tremendously.  I need it flipped or no bueno.  [note: I do not encounter this on the Topre Type Heaven]

2. No full size 55g boards!  It's been over 3 years(?) since the 103UB 55g was discontinued and only a smidgen of 104 55g Korean keyboards were made.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:05:57 »
I only have two big beefs with Topre:

1. First, I hate the standard space bar orientation.  The angle on it is terrible and bothers my thumb tremendously.  I need it flipped or no bueno.  [note: I do not encounter this on the Topre Type Heaven]

2. No full size 55g boards!  It's been over 3 years(?) since the 103UB 55g was discontinued and only a smidgen of 104 55g Korean keyboards were made.

A 55g full size board can happen it'll just cost you. Actually I could put one together with the boards I currently own.

PS: Haven't seen you around much lately!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 10:35:55 »
People can say whatever they want regarding how much they hate Topre (as basically everyone says, it's personal preference), but I don't get it when they say Realforce's are "rip-offs". First-off, a Realforce tenkeyless is NOT $300 (not even with tax + shipping). They retail for less than $220 at EK.

And they come with PBT dye-subs, not just regular PBT's, but PBT dye-subs, which also happen to be some of the best PBT dye-subs around.

How much will a Filco with a decent set of PBT dye-subs cost you? Nearly $130 (http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MC-EB2/dp/B004WOF7S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424536111&sr=8-1&keywords=filco+cherry+mx+blue) + $90 (http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=59 - remember, we're talking good-quality PBT dye-subs, not that cheap Vortex PBT stuff, and Topre PBT's also happen to be much better than IMSTO PBT's) = $220

So... yea. Not that much more expensive for a Topre.

I also don't get it when people say Topre's aren't "that much better than a $5 dome board", because they're clearly ignoring, or somehow not feeling, the immense improvement in build quality with Topre's there (either they're trolling, or just really dumb). The switches are smoother and studier than $5 dome board switches, the switches are smoother and sturdier than Cherry MX switches. You can like Cherry MX switches 100000000000x more than Topre switches all you want (again, it's personal preference), and I say this as someone who's using a Topre board now, and is thinking of switching back to my old Cherry MX Brown board, but there is absolutely no denying Topre switches are better quality. It's not a subjective opinion when it comes to this point - it's an objective fact.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 10:51:10 by fuzzybaffy »