Author Topic: Hello all! Recent convert!  (Read 884 times)

Offline neralo

Hello all! Recent convert!
« on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:38:02 »
Hey everyone,

Neralo from sunny Singapore here. I've not had a desktop since my highschool days (poor college student), but I recently took over the monitor and keyboard that my dad used with his laptop, and have converted my laptop into a ****ty battlestation when I'm at home. Was using a G110 rubber dome keyboard with it first (got it free with my internet plan a year or so ago), but really hated the way it felt when typing. Was chatting with my friend about the crappiness of the rubber domes when he mentioned that he was looking to replace his Rosewill with a 60%/TKL keyboard, and was looking to sell the Rosewill. And that's how the Rosewill RK9000 with Cherry MX blue switches came into my possession for about 35 bucks.

Using this thing has been a revelation. How have I been living before this. It just feels so much better to type on with the blues. I can safely say I've caught the bug, and mechanical keyboards will join my other expensive hobby of fountain pens. On hindsight, my expensive hobbies are probably why I still can't afford a PC. heh.

I'm really big on customization and matching everything together. Seeing as how my desk is a mixture of black and white, and the keys on the rosewill are a little worse for wear (friend's a huge dota2 fan, the QWER and space bar are all worn slightly more than the other keys), I'm looking to replace the entire key cap set. Currently looking at the WASDkeyboards custom 104 set with black alphanumeric keys, dark grey modifiers, and orange WASD keys, but looking around at reviews, it seems like they don't last as long. They're also a little pricey shipped, at around 65USD, when i can get ducky doubleshot PBTs for around 10 bucks more, the only difference being that I don't think I can chose custom colours for the keys. If ya'll have any suggestions for a key cap set that comes close to my suggestions, please, lemme know!

Anyways, I think I'll really enjoy my time here. Maybe I'll see you somewhere deep in the comments section.
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello all! Recent convert!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 04:04:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a very nice price for a mechanical keyboard!

There is already an established fountain pen thread - you might find some kindred spirits in there :)

Someone else was talking about orange on a keyboard recently.  Done well, it look really nice.  Really nice!  But I can't think of any PBT sets that you can customise to that extent.  In fact I can't think of any orange PBT WASD, except for Topre sets, which are difficult to come by and you'd have to buy the whole set just to get WASD.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ