Author Topic: Mighty Korth has arrived!  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Korth

Mighty Korth has arrived!
« on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 23:45:25 »
Just saying "hi".  I'm a typist, programmer, enthusiast, former lurker.

Always on the lookout for my "perfect" keyboard.  I'm overly fussy and particular, so apparently it's time to mod or build my own.  My apologies in advance for possible waves of relentless interrogation about details, lol.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
Re: Mighty Korth has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 23:48:45 »
all hail mighty korth!  welcome to GH. :)  what keyboards are you using right now?
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Korth

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 01:59:14 »
Hm, I should've specified, eh?

Currently using a Das Pro 4 (MX browns) for day-to-day typing and programming and stuff.  A Logitech G510s (mushyjunk, but can take a beating and has pretty awesome macro keys and features) for gaming, and - just to be stubborn - an ugly, ancient KeyTronic LT-5000 which I found at a thrift store and (in contrast to my main keyboard) it's kinda grown on me.

My ideal preference would be the manly robust stiffness of Cherry Blacks (or Clears on certain keys) but with sort of a "precision" tactile (less movement range than a Brown).  I also like clicky Blue sound, but can as easily do with or without.

I don't like the Topres I've tried.  Sold a Type Heaven back to craigslist where it came from, I really just hated the feel.  It just felt flat and squished, as if the keys never recovered after being pressed.

But I do not always mind evil overmaligned domes.  Provided they are tactile-ish and have a distinct "pop" responsiveness.  I can't stand the ones which feel little better than membrane crap, the sort which I will happily join along in condemning.

I dimly recall having used Model M and buckling spring and ALPS units in the distant past, but nothing about such things seems to have impressed me, good or bad.  More recent brief exposure to a busted up ghetto Model M made me wonder why people still like them, but to be fair this particular unit and keyswitches were in awful condition.

Looking for perfect keyswitches, perfectly arranged, with a lot of the best functions seen on newer and most garish gamer keyboards yet with a style and form-factor which tends towards conservative and elegant.  No such beast, yet.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 02:45:24 »
Welcome!  type heaven isn't the best representation of topre switches!  From what you are saying, 55g realforce or 45g hhkb sounds like it would be nice.  Or even some panda clears (clear switches with your robust black springs).  I've tried all three and can say they are pretty awesome :) 

62g Ergo clears are also very nice. 

Good luck trying and exploring! 

Also: you probably already know, but greens are stiffer blues.  Pretty nice.
Hi :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 03:07:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like the stiffness of MX blacks and the clickiness of blues, perhaps MX greens will be your perfect switch.

Although I don't recall a keyboard with, say, greens and clears.  Although that is entirely possible, and quite simple to do to get a MX green keyboard and strategically replace a few green switches with clears.  And if your soldering skills are not up to the task, there's quite a few people here who undertake such jobs for others.

The Model M you used might be in need of a bolt mod.  The difference between one that needs a bolt mod and one that doesn't (or that has already had a bolt mod done) is like night and day.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Korth

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 22:42:51 »
Oooh MX Greens, neato, sometimes something new actually does come along.  Now, if only Cherry would see fit to offer more options in switch geometries, finer control over actuation heights and tactility and whatnot ... but I suppose more than one new flavour per decade is asking for a too much, lol.

Offline Korth

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 02:57:49 »
Just curious ... some changes since the old days.  No ripster, ha, I've read some of the aftermath chatter about that.  But, alas ... no more iMav, Welly, ItlnStln?  They all head over to deskthority or something?  And, aw, the no-quarters video game arcade is gone?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:15:57 »
iMav pops in from time to time - his last visit was only 2 days ago!

As for the others - haven't seem them for a while.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ