Author Topic: Cooler Master Rapid Si (pre-release)  (Read 7118 times)

Offline shrubkeys

Cooler Master Rapid Si (pre-release)
« on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 13:31:55 »
tl;dr: This keyboard is either pretty uninteresting or is exactly what you've been praying for.

The Rapid Si (Rapid i/Stealth Edition) is the only keyboard on the market that's both backlit and front-printed. To some people, those are the two sweetest aesthetics - and it's exciting to finally have them in one board. If not, a Quickfire Rapid is cheaper and exactly the same.

Actually, there's not that much more to write. Everything is precisely what you'd expect. Fit/finish is typical Cooler Master - which is to say unspectacular but very nice. Matte black case with ABS OEM-profile keys to match (Duzeyao shows a white keyset too, but I haven't seen it). It's got fine lighting effects - tho no ARM processor onboard, which means nothing super-complicated like the Rapid i. The backlighting is crisp and goes from comfortably dim (I wasn't blinded in a pitch-black room) to extremely bright (visible in daylight - looks like crisp white doubleshot text.) Pulling off a cap, you can see that they just moved the LED to the bottom. That, with its unique translucent side-printed text = your Mom. Or this keyboard.

I hate brown Cherry switches - which is the only way it's being released, at least for now. With a little DIY you could either solder in different switches or move the caps to a different board that happens to have bottom-mounted LEDs, like the orange Monoprice TKL or the KPB V60 (CM's not selling the caps separately), and you could recoup some of the cost by reselling the original as a backlit-Rapid/ghetto Rapid i. But I definitely don't care enough to do this.

FWIW, according to a post @DT, Filco patent on front-print =  it won't be released in the EU (confirmed w. CM reps).

93084-093086-193088-293090-3
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:48:27 by shrubkeys »

Offline Art of Payce

Re: Cooler Master Rapid Si (pre-release)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 18:16:22 »
CM specs the keycaps as having "grip coating". What's it like? Does the board sit flat on the table or did you get any rocking? What FN function/media keys are there? I'm pretty disappointed about missing ARM and lack of per key lighting. I guess bottom LEDs and front-facing backlit keycaps are equivalent to the Rapid I features if CM decided to step it down.

By the way, I'm positive I saw someone on r/ looking to buy this exact board. You might do a little search.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 04:43:16 »
Could be interested, could take some better shots of the case? I dont expect myself to stand any stock key caps from a "gaming keyboad" but if the case is nice, white LED's and come in Mx Red I could be interested
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 23:15:41 »
Could be interested, could take some better shots of the case? I dont expect myself to stand any stock key caps from a "gaming keyboad" but if the case is nice, white LED's and come in Mx Red I could be interested

The case is same as Rapid-I
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline cryptowillem

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 15:44:36 »
I don't know why I thought this board would be more exciting. At first I was all gung-ho and couldn't wait to get one in my hands, but seeing as I'd eventually be changing the keys, there's not much new to it. Oh well. Cool nonetheless!
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens

Offline nox_uk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 09:25:06 »
any ideas where I can get this keyboard - i'm really struggling to find it for sale anywhere globally :(

Nox

Offline y2bd

• I'm just here for the caps
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 17:13:45 »
Interesting how it was a downgrade in terms of lighting effects compared to the standard Rapid-i. I wonder if it's closer to the original Stealth/Rapid or the Rapid-i in terms of design and formulation (probably the former).

Edit: holy did not notice the necro, only saw the March's, heh.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 March 2016, 17:15:28 by y2bd »

Offline nox_uk

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 07:44:21 »
sorry about that, I was in two minds whether to create a new thread (and run the risk of people not knowing about it) or resurecting this one!  I figured as the review was pre-release then it should be to market by now...  but it's not from what I can tell :(  the only places i've seen it are in the hands of reviewers, and on the CM website.  Really like the keys.

Nox