Author Topic: How to change springs in a Model M?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline wheel83

How to change springs in a Model M?
« on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 02:48:22 »
I have a few model m's with busted springs.  i tried the search and couldnt find it.  can someone supply me with some info on how to replace a spring.  thanks

will
I <3 BS

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 03:35:43 »
Quote from: wheel83;111968
I have a few model m's with busted springs.  i tried the search and couldnt find it.  can someone supply me with some info on how to replace a spring.  thanks

will

There is an article over here with a similar question. I did not read all the posts in that article but maybe it ends up useful to you.

Offline kode

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 August 2009, 04:27:17 »
This thread is relevant to your query. This post is especially useful. I just did a spring replacement a couple of days ago, and crafted my own tool sort of like the one pictured. (I ended up turning the spring counterclockwise in the end, however, as it was easier for me to get the spring mounted then.)

Offline cmr

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 22:46:07 »
I've only swapped a couple of Model M springs, but I never found any need to twist, either clockwise or counterclockwise. They slid right off with a touch of a narrow blade.

Offline cmr

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 22:56:40 »

I use the blade of this, and it just slides right off, and when reinstalling it just slides right back on. I put the blade right against the outside of the base of the spring, where it's all bunched up. This might be irregular, but it has worked for me on both IBM- and Lexmark-made Ms from a decade apart.

Offline cmr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 August 2009, 23:07:18 »
If someone came after my orange X%&#! key I'd probably arm myself with something far more dangerous than a Swisstech Utili-Key...