Author Topic: Can you buy and apply coatings to key caps?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
Can you buy and apply coatings to key caps?
« on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 15:36:28 »
I noticed I like whatever coating is on my Type Heaven's ABS keys, and also whatever coating is on my KBP v60 MTS. If I found a texture I liked, would it be possible to spray it on any other ABS caps that are starting to shine or that I just find too smooth? I don't really care if they are opaque and cover the legends, though if they are clear, even better. I hear stuff like "UV coated" and wonder if I can just buy a can of it and squirt it all over my Rosewill or something.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Can you buy and apply coatings to key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:59:05 »
not that i know of

and it'd probably peel off and look gross anyway
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 12:01:40 »
The process involves an UV tunnel.

Plastidip is something that has been used on keycaps before.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 07:14:46 »
Any film applied to a surface has the potential to peel back off.

If that happened consistently, it might be OK, but since it will be random and spoltchy, it is sure to look bad.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015