Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1661 times)

Offline zombimuncha

Hello
« on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 16:24:48 »
Hi there!
I joined a couple days ago. Posted a couple times already, so I thought I'd better say hi in here too.
I've been in the mechanical keyboard scene for about 6 months. My first keyboard was/is a Matias Quiet Pro. I also have an FC660M w/ MX Clears. For my next adventure I want to try some different keycaps on the Matias - I'll need some help with choosing. I've also got my eye on the Penumbra and GMK Triumph Adler sets for my 660M. Longer term I hear the call of the Novatouch, and also maybe something ortholinear / Planck-ish.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 00:19:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Finding replacement keycaps for the Matias - they are Alps compatible, IIRC, and very few such sets are around.  There is an interest check for an Alps set here - get in and register your interest!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 03:11:58 »
Thanks!
There is an interest check for an Alps set here - get in and register your interest!

I'm already on that thread, but I want either a full keyset or alphas, which is basically the opposite of what that IC is about.

I understand I would need to get an old Alps keyboard to "borrow" the caps from but I'm confused about which keyboard to get, and how to find a decent deal on it. Especially considering I'm an ANSI user in the UK, and most of the ANSI Alps keyboards on eBay ship from the USA.
I've seen advice to use the caps from an AEKII, but I also see in another thread that they have a different profile than standard Alps,  which I assume is what is on my Quiet-Pro. And there's no way I'd get a full set of caps from the AEKII due to various other weirdnesses.
The deskthority wiki has some good info on which keyboards have Alps compatible caps but very little detail on the caps themselves. I don't want to pay £30 in shipping costs to end up with another set of this ABS pad-printed caps...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 03:18:26 »
One option might be to find someone in the US who wants the keyboard (e.g. the switches), and split the costs between keycaps (for you) and everything else (for US person).  Shipping on a bag of keycaps would be much less than a whole keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 05:38:03 »
Great idea! Where should I look for such a person? Classifieds?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:07:52 »
Great idea! Where should I look for such a person? Classifieds?

Hmmm to post a new thread there you'll need to meet the forum requirements - 2 months membership and 25 posts.  The 2 months will happen by itself whether you post or not, the 25 posts shouldn't be much of a problem ;)

Have a look around, post a few queries in Alps-related threads, look for Alps great finds and see if anyone wants to split the cost with you.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:02:30 »
Welcome! I've actually wanted to try both of those boards! Matias quiet and fc660m w clears. Nice!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:43:19 »
thanks! I'm pretty happy with both of them. Using the MQP right now.

A couple nights ago I dreamed I had an SSK just like yours!

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:22:40 »
Finding replacement keycaps for the Matias - they are Alps compatible, IIRC, and very few such sets are around.
That's one reason I've held off on getting non-Cherry switches. There are just so many good options for cherry compatible keycaps.
CM Storm QFR-i | Matias Ergo Pro (pre-ordered) | M$FT Natural Ergonomic 4000

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 02:12:06 »
thanks! I'm pretty happy with both of them. Using the MQP right now.

A couple nights ago I dreamed I had an SSK just like yours!

It sure is an amazing board! Phosphorglow really knows how to make them brand new!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 04:48:51 »
Finding replacement keycaps for the Matias - they are Alps compatible, IIRC, and very few such sets are around.
That's one reason I've held off on getting non-Cherry switches. There are just so many good options for cherry compatible keycaps.

True - even Topre languishes with few replacement sets.