Author Topic: Hello!! New to site  (Read 1689 times)

Offline pryedthirdeye

Hello!! New to site
« on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:35:30 »
Hello all,

Just getting into mechanical keyboards and bought my first cherry mx blue board.  Nothing fancy but its my first.  Site looks like a good resource for all things clicky!!

pryedthirdeye
clicky clicky

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: Hello!! New to site
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:42:40 »
Welcome! My first board was blues, and I think I might want to try a board with them soon again, or greens or whites, a heavier version of whites.

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:51:10 »
Welcome to the forum!
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 23:06:11 »
Welcome! My first board was a Filco with Blues. Be careful, or you will find that your wallet empties pretty quickly around here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:09:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So which keyboard did you get?  There are a lot out there with MX blues ;)

Also my first modern mech was a Ducky Shine with MX blues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pryedthirdeye

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:22:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

So which keyboard did you get?  There are a lot out there with MX blues ;)

Also my first modern mech was a Ducky Shine with MX blues.

Hello!  Sorry for the delayed response.  I got a Rosewill RK 9200 with cherry MX blues.  I would love to eventually build my own ten leyless or 60% board once I get a handle on all the different options :)
clicky clicky

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 02:02:54 »
I like the combination of green and red LEDs that the RK9200 has!

If you want to build your own 60% keyboard, the GH60 is an excellent place to start!

Although the GB is closed, it is still a good collection of links about the GH60: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pryedthirdeye

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 21:46:26 »
I like the combination of green and red LEDs that the RK9200 has!

If you want to build your own 60% keyboard, the GH60 is an excellent place to start!

Although the GB is closed, it is still a good collection of links about the GH60: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464.0

This is a great thread, thanks!  Looks like that was a great GB, do these kinds happen anymore or is it just basically ordering all the parts from a website?
clicky clicky

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 04:38:46 »
This is a great thread, thanks!  Looks like that was a great GB, do these kinds happen anymore or is it just basically ordering all the parts from a website?

If there's enough interest there might be a second GB, although I gather that the above GB hasn't actually finished yet, they are still waiting for some of the parts.

You could post in that thread and just ask what the possibility is of joining.

Also some people tend to over-commit on group buys, and then want to sell their purchase before the GB has finished.  You might be able to take over someone's order.