Author Topic: ABS Doubleshot Shine and Durability?  (Read 9497 times)

Offline awhitedev

ABS Doubleshot Shine and Durability?
« on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 15:50:18 »
So I've not typically been a fan of ABS keycaps... Mostly because of that dang shine that develops. It's mostly annoying on the space bar. So my question is this... Do different keycaps made of ABS shine at different rates? Are there manufacturers who produce better quality ABS that does not shine very quickly? Seems like with any stock ABS caps I've used the shine develops in about 4 weeks :( obviously if I dish out good money for a set... I'd like for it to last longer than that.

Thoughts?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: ABS Doubleshot Shine and Durability?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:07:03 »
You could try putting a strip of sticky tape along the space bar to prevent shine, if that is the biggest issue.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:13:01 »
Most stock abs caps are not good quality caps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:15:07 »
You could try putting a strip of sticky tape along the space bar to prevent shine, if that is the biggest issue.

The answer is relative to the particular ABS polymer mixture and texture of the mold used. The harder polymer, and the rough texture may caused the ABS made cap to last longer with less shiny spots. At certain point all ABS caps will get polished with use.

ABS has lower hardness, thus it has lower resistance to friction, and tends to get polished with use fairly quickly. Some like the polished tops on alphas for example, because they give a good grip to type on them. At the end of the day, caps are not an ornament, but the surface where we type on. However, those caps wider than one unit will look odd with shiny spots, mainly the space bar as you wrote.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2015, 07:24:30 by ideus »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:16:03 »
This, I've had a GMK set that I've used regularly for about 1 year and not even the alphas have developed any visual shine.  I am however very insistent on making sure my hands are clean before using them, which I'm sure has helped somewhat in maintaining their texture.  I think the timeframe in which ABS caps develop shine may have something to do with your individual body chemistry too.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 19:21:45 »

Most ABS caps that come with new boards are thin, and engraved with low cost methods like laser etching. Cherry ABS double shot caps are a totally different product, but a set of them will cost you as much as some boards.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 20:55:19 »

I've noticed that as well... but what I didn't know is if all ABS is created equal. From what everyone is saying here it is not...

Most ABS caps that come with new boards are thin, and engraved with low cost methods like laser etching. Cherry ABS double shot caps are a totally different product, but a set of them will cost you as much as some boards.

I got in on the Hyper Fuse GMK set... it sounds like their casting process is a lot better than most ABS sets. Are GMK caps textured on the top?

This, I've had a GMK set that I've used regularly for about 1 year and not even the alphas have developed any visual shine.  I am however very insistent on making sure my hands are clean before using them, which I'm sure has helped somewhat in maintaining their texture.  I think the timeframe in which ABS caps develop shine may have something to do with your individual body chemistry too.

You might be right about it being up to your individual body chemistry. I have a bad habit of making ABS caps shine in about 4 weeks. How quickly do non GMK ABS sets develop shine for you?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 21:04:48 »
GMK caps are the thickest commercially available abs caps, probably, and their texture is in the fine side.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 04:53:26 »

ABS is a denser plastic than PBT, but it does have lower hardness...

Sorry, but no. PBT is both denser and harder wearing than ABS. POM is denser than both: [http://www.stelray.com/reference-tables.html

GMK keycaps seem to take longer to wear than SP DCS. At least it takes more time and use to wear the "matte" surface of GMK caps smooth vs the "matte" surface of SP ABS caps. Could be the surface texture used, the specific formulation of ABS used or a combination of both.

PBT and POM are both harder wearing and will take longer to go smooth, but all keycaps will wear in time. IBM Model M and F keycaps are PBT, but you can find many shiny examples out there.

Personally, I like the shine, shows that the board gets used :) If you want to keep the shine away as long as possible, get PBT caps with a fairly rough molded surface texture, like old thick Cherry PBT sets, one of Ivan's new PBT group buy sets, a Leopold PBT set from eBay or a PLUM / Noppoo set. The Poker II caps are also thick PBT with a matte surface, but they're OEM profile.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 04:54:57 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 07:33:56 »
So I'm confused... are GMK cap tops matte, fine, textured? Can someone explain? lol

The best texture I've felt on a keycap is SP's PBT DSA. Everything else seems smooth in comparison. Leopold's PBT were very smooth IMO.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 07:56:25 »
Embrace the shine man!!   My favorite keycaps are my buttery smooth, shiny as a baby's bottom OG Cherry keycaps.   Pure typing bliss.   I hate super textured, scratchy feeling PBT caps.   Fingers are sore after typing on those suckers!!  Plus it's SOOO easy to remove shine from spacebars, but I personally just don't care.   Don't want shine ..... then don't type on them LOL!! 

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:27:24 »
Well i guess that's one approach. How do you remove shine though btw?

Offline engicoder

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:36:56 »
Personally, I like the shine, shows that the board gets used :)

I agree. Its like worn stone steps in an old building. That's what's great about double shot, the legends stay now matter how much wear.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:47:25 »
So I'm confused... are GMK cap tops matte, fine, textured? Can someone explain? lol

The best texture I've felt on a keycap is SP's PBT DSA. Everything else seems smooth in comparison. Leopold's PBT were very smooth IMO.

All GMK keycaps I have are pretty smooth compare to SP keycaps.

Offline tbc

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 22:37:42 »

i haven't found anything better either.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:30:18 »
On a somewhat unrelated topics, is there a ABS set that is shiny to begin with?
I bet lots of people hate the shine because ununiformness, because not all keys are used equally often and therefore has different shine rate.
I wonder if a set is shiny to begin with, will it get more shiny because of use?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:48:35 »
I bet lots of people hate the shine because ununiformness, because not all keys are used equally often and therefore has different shine rate.
I wonder if a set is shiny to begin with, will it get more shiny because of use?

SA keycaps are generally shiny.  The Nuclear Data Green set is very shiny, and it looks and feels great!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline psyEDk

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 06:51:01 »
Well i guess that's one approach. How do you remove shine though btw?

Very fine sandpaper will do the trick.

Offline spoonraker

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 08:03:31 »
Not all ABS is created equal, obviously there are going to be differences in plastics between companies. Regardless, I think the biggest difference in durability simply results in how textured the key caps start out as.

If they're heavily textured when new, they'll last a lot longer than a set with a very fine texture.

I have a set of WASD key caps that have lasted 4 months of heavy use without any visible signs of shine, and WASD is definitely not known for being super durable.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 12:41:24 »

SA keycaps are generally shiny.  The Nuclear Data Green set is very shiny, and it looks and feels great!

It will be awesome there are DCS or DSA shiny ABS sets...