Author Topic: Hello from Sydney, AUS  (Read 1643 times)

Offline tkim

Hello from Sydney, AUS
« on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 06:25:06 »
Hello everyone, been a lurker on these forums for a while and decided to join up.

I first bought a filco minila air with blue switches as a means to bring to work since we have activity based working (shared keyboards) Call me OCD but I found the premise of sharing a keyboard strangers rather disgusting  :eek:. The blue switches served me well however it drove my fiancé up the wall, she hated the sound of typing as she was a light sleeper.

I then seeked out a topre switch keyboard after reading a post which rated the typing experience better than on a blue switch. So I took the plunge and bought a leopold fc660c which I absolutely love. Now I have been looking at customisation options, only to realise how expensive this habit has become. Anyway, hope to be a regular around here, but I do more lurking than posting  :)

Offline tkim

Re: Hello from Sydney, AUS
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 08:00:57 »
Some pics, sorry I will not win any awards for my photography skills.

Will mostly likely be selling the Filco and Vortex double shots for some Topre Keycaps believe it or not  :eek:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:00:10 »
Welcome! Oh man that is the one board I miss most! FC660C by Leopold. It's gotta be one of the best boards out there! Don't let it go!

You could add krytox lube to the sliders and also there are multiple silencing methods to the sliders. Foam, dental bands, etc.

For Keysets there are Realforce keysets that fit the alphas or multiple sets to do the mods. Or you can use novatouch sliders then an mx keyset.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:01:09 »
Welcome! Oh man that is the one board I miss most! FC660C by Leopold. It's gotta be one of the best boards out there! Don't let it go!

You could add krytox lube to the sliders and also there are multiple silencing methods to the sliders. Foam, dental bands, etc.

For Keysets there are Realforce keysets that fit the alphas or multiple sets to do the mods. Or you can use novatouch sliders then an mx keyset.

Agreed. The FC660C is a great keyboard, I wish I kept mine! Welcome to Geekhack and let us know if you have any questions!   :)

Offline tkim

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 05:21:10 »
Thanks for the welcome guys, but why did you part with yours?

I don't think I will mod it with nova touch stems, my mother is going to Korea in a few days so I might ask her to pick up some real force keys.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:29:18 »
I sold mine because I got bored and wanted to try an HHKB. Now that I have an HHKB (which i also love), I wish I had both!  :p

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 02:14:05 »
Thanks for the welcome guys, but why did you part with yours?

I don't think I will mod it with nova touch stems, my mother is going to Korea in a few days so I might ask her to pick up some real force keys.

I sold mine because I got bored and wanted to try an HHKB. Now that I have an HHKB (which i also love), I wish I had both!  :p

Good call! I personally love topre sliders so wouldn't want CM Novatouch sliders in the board.

I sold it so I could try a different board. Then I sold that to try another, etc etc etc now I wish I had the fc660c back!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 04:51:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ah the orange keyboard ;)  I probably would have bought one of those if they had been available when I was looking for a Topre keyboard, but I found my HHKB first.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tkim

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 07:44:53 »
Probably would have gone with a HHKB too except I use a lot of Excel so having dedicated arrow keys was imperative.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 01:28:45 »
Probably would have gone with a HHKB too except I use a lot of Excel so having dedicated arrow keys was imperative.

That is fair enough, and a valid use case for a numeric keypad.

Of course you could have gotten an HHKB plus a separate numpad ;)  The RealForce 23U and 23UB are very popular.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tkim

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 05:53:55 »
Yes true but its strange enough I carry my own keyboard in the office let alone a numpad :p

I use excel for formula and analysis