Author Topic: Open Source Circuit Simulator  (Read 1431 times)

Offline RedRoboHood

Open Source Circuit Simulator
« on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 08:46:39 »
Hi, everyone!

Like many people, I have played a fair amount of Minecraft. The aspect of Minecraft that I find the most interesting and enjoyable is the ability to create and simulate digital circuits. I didn't really know anything about digital circuits before I started playing Minecraft, but the game and its community allowed me to quickly learn about many different types of circuits. It's been a great learning experience.

After a while I realized more and more that Minecraft has a lot of severe limitations to building and simulating circuits, such as the fixed 10Hz update limit, fixed number of loaded chunks at once, and general inefficient coding of redstone mechanics. So I built my own circuit simulator in Java.

My program doesn't have any of the limitations I mentioned above. It does, of course, have limitations of its own, because I haven't worked on it long enough to finalize it and work out all the bugs, but it's definitely very usable. Any programmers/computer engineers who want to play around with my program and maybe help contribute to it? :)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Open Source Circuit Simulator
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 07:41:44 »
Tag for later.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Korth

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:32:52 »
I never knew Minecraft (the game, right?) could do such things.  Bizarre.

SPICE has been around for ages, runs on countless platforms, and comes in numerous flavours (and many are open source).

Offline RedRoboHood

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:58:08 »
I never knew Minecraft (the game, right?) could do such things.  Bizarre.

SPICE has been around for ages, runs on countless platforms, and comes in numerous flavours (and many are open source).

If you thought Turing-complete Minecraft was strange, wait until you see Turing-complete Minesweeper! :))

I do realize that there are existing circuit simulators that are better than mine in pretty much every way. The reason I created my own was that I wanted to capture the simplicity, shallow learning curve, and interactivity of Minecraft, while also addressing some of Minecraft's drawbacks. (Plus, writing it was great practice in Java and JavaFX. :P)