Author Topic: Started an EECS(electronics) club for my students, need suggestions/donations!  (Read 911 times)

Offline slickmamba

Hey guys, with the recent frys sale on hakko solderers, I convinced my principle to let me start an engineering club for coding, and building any sorts of electronics,robots, etc. 

We are a title I school, so entirely low income students, from an entirely underrepresented population in college.  Since I'm from a similar background, I'm trying to expose them to things that I never got growing up. 

I teach the computer science class, along with a few other classes, and have gotten a few boards already thanks to moose(Model M) and polpo(choco mini).  For some reason, they are not required to take a typing course like I did in middle school, so the average typing speed is about 15-20 wpm when they come into my class, and about 60wpm after a month.  In doing so, a few have them have started to love keyboards, and are probably reading this very post. 

I have been bringing in my own boards for them to use, but I want to take it a step further with this new EECS (Electrical engineering and Computer Science) club and let them start tinkering and programing things on their own :) and have boards that I will leave in in the classroom.

Their first board they will be playing on is polpos choc mini that has a double typing issue.  I will have them take it apart and try to figure out what is causing the issue.  I will be buying a wyse terminal board, where they will be desoldering some vintage blacks and resoldering them into the choc mini to see if it fixes the problem(hopefully that is their conclusion)

I've already bought a crap ton of stuff with my own money for them, but since I make no money, plus paying for grad school, I need some help =/

Any donations would be great!  More soldering irons/stations, Soldering station mats (so they don't destroy my tables), solder, helping hands, magnifying glasses, keyboards, switches, caps, pcbs, arduinos, teensies, old robotics kits, solar kits, lego kits.
I'm not asking you guys to go out and buy stuff for us, just whatever unwanted stuff you have laying around that might be good for this club! 

I'm doing this basically all alone so any suggestions for events, lessons, projects, would be great!

GH <3
Hi :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
link some specific stuff (like an amazon wishlist or something)! i'll be more than happy to help
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
I can probably help here, I have a ton of old dev boards (teensy, raspi, pcduino) boards laying around that will probably never see any use. Let me look through my junk room and I'll get a box together for you.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline slickmamba

TY for the thought brotha, but I don't really want you guys buying stuff for us.  Maybe when we get bigger.  I still have some time before I roll this out to the students, so I'm just collecting stuff until its time.  As of right now, I have 5 students 2-3 days a week. 

That being said,  another solder iron/station and solder mat is pretty high on the list.  Along with stuff for them to practice on while we are getting started
The students all have macbook airs to code and work on so that is no issue. 

My end game is to start joining robotics meets :)

Offline slickmamba

I can probably help here, I have a ton of old dev boards (teensy, raspi, pcduino) boards laying around that will probably never see any use. Let me look through my junk room and I'll get a box together for you.

That'd be awesome!  Also for those of you that don't know me that well,  I can send verification if needed :) 

I'll also just post a pic of some kids taking apart the choc mini tomorrow.