Author Topic: [IC] GMK made 60% sets | Poker | Infinity | HHKB, BLACK, Beige and Dolch at MD.  (Read 7815 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Disclaimer: These are 60% sets, not full size 100+ ones. For full sets you could check Photekqs Red, Blue, Beige sets, or TA one.

I have open a poll for BLACK, Beige and Dolch 60% sets at MD, compatible with Poker (ANSI US standard layout), and Infinity (HHKB layout support). These colors are awesome, and if it happens that you just get an Infinity, or have a Poker or other similar 60% keyboard this drop may interest you, so go and cast your vote.

Motivation: As a 60% percent user I always have  a hard time justifying the investment in full sets, because of all these caps I will never have any use for, the function keys, the nine central pack, and the numbers pack.

You can also discuss some options that may interest you to get included in the final drop, and I will keep track of them as they reach some consensus, and I will discuss them with the MD guys to make sure to get them included in the final specifications of the set, or sets, if both reach 200+ votes.

The timing for this will be defined considering current GMK goodness pipeline of Elder's offers, if one or more of the colors reach 200+ casted votes, that I really doubt, I will take the community's input for the scheduling, and pass it to MD officials for consideration.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:51:34 by ideus »

Offline Keyzus

link to the poll?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
link to the poll?

I am not sure if I can post it here. I will wait for a mod to enlighten me about it. But thank you for asking.

Offline Keyzus

If your going for the classic beige you might as well add the classic white on black!  :thumb:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
I'm guessing you did not consider the beige GB I'm going to be starting shortly whatsoever when you did this?

It can't be put down as ignorance, because I know you've seen it. I can only put it down as very inconsiderate.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:01:40 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Keyzus

Wasn't the Massdrop link for the GMK Triumph Adler poll posted here?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I'm guessing you did not consider the beige GB I'm going to be starting shortly whatsoever when you did this?

Not really sir. These sets are not full sets, and have far less keys than yours. Does that make sense? They are something in between a modifiers set and the full size 100+ key sets. Thus they are not the same as either one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:05:18 by ideus »

Offline Keyzus

I'd rather go through Photekq's simply because it's a full set. But have you reconsidered making all USA buyers pay a 20% EU tax? Plenty of trustworthy people offered to handle CONUS distribution in order to keep the cost reasonable.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:06:01 by Keyzus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Wasn't the Massdrop link for the GMK Triumph Adler poll posted here?

I think so, but I will wait either way.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone

Not really sir. These set are not full sets, and have far less keys than yours. Does that make sense?
I understand that. Regardless, do you not agree that if this were to run it would lower the order count of my GB, thus lowering the chances of it reaching MOQ?

@Keyzus

I'm working on that now. I want to get the price as low as possible to everyone, and thanks to a very generous offer from a certain Myster, this could happen.

Plenty of trustworthy people offered to handle CONUS distribution
We have different definitions of trustworthy :) There's only one person who's offered that I consider truly trustworthy, but luckily one is all we need.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:07:49 by Photekq »
github

Offline jonathanyu

Just my opinion, running a vote is fine, but please don't run the actual gb in the following 5-6 months.  There are a lot of GMK gb right now already.  Hyperfuse, Olivetti, Red Alert, Classic Beige, Blue mods, Triumph Adler...  I think most people cannot afford all of them, so it maybe nice to give people a break time before you run the gb

Offline Keyzus

Hoff offered to help and he's among the most trusted people here.

Massdrop is also an option. They'd handle everything and more would be sold so it would cost less.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone

thanks to a very generous offer from a certain Myster, this could happen.

There's only one person who's offered that I consider truly trustworthy, but luckily one is all we need.

To be clear : I was talking about Hoffman :)

github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Not really sir. These set are not full sets, and have far less keys than yours. Does that make sense?
I understand that. Regardless, do you not agree that if this were to run it would lower the order count of my GB, thus lowering the chances of it reaching MOQ?

Your set already have the GH community interest, while 60% sets are more of a niche product, that may attract other users that in any case will not pay the cost for a full size keyboard set. Besides, as it has been discussed here many times, GMK are for actual keyboard aficionados, and I even doubt they reach the 200+ in the poll.

As Keyzus did, other people is waiting for your set, and your set only. I think the only ones that may be interested in the poll are some that just got the Infinity kit, and they are looking for a non so expensive decent set to dress it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
We have different definitions of trustworthy :) There's only one person who's offered that I consider truly trustworthy, but luckily one is all we need.

Well, I can always help too. 

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Just my opinion, running a vote is fine, but please don't run the actual gb in the following 5-6 months.  There are a lot of GMK gb right now already.  Hyperfuse, Olivetti, Red Alert, Classic Beige, Blue mods, Triumph Adler...  I think most people cannot afford all of them, so it maybe nice to give people a break time before you run the gb

This is why I am not moving on anything regarding my HHKB kit interest check. There is just too much going on. I am probably just going to drop the idea and let the pros handle it. Honestly if people are smart, they will just go with Poteq's simply because of higher resale value and utility on multiple boards.

Going with a purely 60% layout seems so close minded.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
LOL

I feel bad now! Make that two bro. I completely missed your post :'(
github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Worry not, as I wrote before, I have not seen much interest at MD for GMK made stuff, but for TA, it appears most people there are in the PBT madness train.

Offline Keyzus

Yo Nubbs I guess Photekq doesn't think your to be trusted!  :))

Offline billnye

• ability man
LOL

I feel bad now! Make that two bro. I completely missed your post :'(
rude as ****

Offline Keyzus

Wait a minute, Bill did you say you'd help as well?

Offline billnye

• ability man
Just gonna deposit my $.02

I think this is a bad idea at this time. Photekq has put a lot of work into his beige gb and this would really undercut it and not benefit either of you. Maybe at a later time this would be better.

yea, but I think Hoff or nubs might be better choices than me to help
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 18:32:31 by billnye »

Offline Keyzus

There's lots of other designs to run there. Dolch wouldn't be stepping on anyones toes since Ivan already finished running his. Or you could run classic white on black.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Just gonna deposit my $.02

I think this is a bad idea at this time. Photekq has put a lot of work into his beige gb and this would really undercut it and not benefit either of you. Maybe at a later time this would be better.

yea, but I think Hoff or nubs might be better choices than me to help

it is only a poll guys. People tend to hate ABS outside GH.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
There's lots of other designs to run there. Dolch wouldn't be stepping on anyones toes since Ivan already finished running his. Or you could run classic white on black.

Great idea, standard white on black would not hurt anyone.

Offline Keyzus

I stand by what I said though. Hoff, Nubbs and BillNye are three of the most trusted people on GH. Can't go wrong with having anyone of them help. Let's get that started.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
This interest check is turning into a Photekq's beige set IC branch, LOL.

I told you guys, only we GHers want the GMK goodness.

:thumb:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
I stand by what I said though. Hoff, Nubbs and BillNye are three of the most trusted people on GH. Can't go wrong with having anyone of them help. Let's get that started.

thanks to a very generous offer from a certain Myster, this could happen.

There's only one person who's offered that I consider truly trustworthy, but luckily one is all we need.

To be clear : I was talking about Hoffman :)

github

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
Are you thinking about the same set of keys that billnye has in his upcoming buy?

I'm generally in favour of colourful 'booster packs.'

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I would like this to add some value to current and upcoming GMK buys that our elders are working on right now. Thus, I would like some input to define an offer that complement but not compete with current designs under study.

For example, I have added the plain white on black to the poll. It may have some complements like a red enter and red escape only. There is no other offer like that, even Ivan's mod set will be a more complete design, and therefore they will not be in direct competition. As previously explained these are small sets, not full ones, therefore people in need of TKLs and beyond will be better served by Photekq's, HFs, and other full sets. Each one has its very own market.

As a 60% percent user I always have  a hard time justifying the investment in full sets, because of all these caps I will never have any use for, the function keys, the nine central pack, and the numbers pack. This is the motivation for this IC.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:21:36 by ideus »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
This is going to step all over the MOQ of already established GB's. When are you planning on running it? Between Photekq's Classic Beige, billnye's mod set, Hyperfuse, Red Alert and Triumph Adler there is very little room to move. Not to mention the fact that some of these people have been actively waiting for a gap to run their GB's so as to not over-crowd the landscape, it would be pretty rude to just jump in.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
This is going to step all over the MOQ of already established GB's. When are you planning on running it? Between Photekq's Classic Beige, billnye's mod set, Hyperfuse, Red Alert and Triumph Adler there is very little room to move. Not to mention the fact that some of these people have been actively waiting for a gap to run their GB's so as to not over-crowd the landscape, it would be pretty rude to just jump in.

I certainly will not. If the sets reach MoQ, that I doubt, I will consult the elders involved to get their input scheduling-wise.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone

I certainly will not. If the sets reach MoQ, that I doubt, I will consult the elders involved to get their input scheduling-wise.
You do realise that Massdrop doesn't care, right? If your poll gets plenty of votes and they decide to run it, they will run it when & how THEY want to.
github

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

You do realise that Massdrop doesn't care, right? If your poll gets plenty of votes and they decide to run it, they will run it when & how THEY want to.

Haata is a reasonable person, and I am pretty sure he can listen.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'

What does he have to do with this? His only contribution is the actual Infinity? He has no say how things are run...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

What does he have to do with this? His only contribution is the actual Infinity? He has no say how things are run...

Have to contact them then.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'

The guy you want to get in contact with is Andrew Lekashman if you want to work with MD on keyboard related things.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

The guy you want to get in contact with is Andrew Lekashman if you want to work with MD on keyboard related things.

This is correct.  Haata has no affiliation with Massdrop.

Offline whentheclouds

overlap with others aside, i wouldn't join a GB where the organizer doesn't know 100% what he's doing

Offline geniekid

ideus, I really really like your idea (God I want HHKB Dolch) but I agree this will hurt upcoming GMK GBs.  If I didn't have tremendous respect for Photekq I would look at this poll, decide that all three color schemes were great and just wait until MD launched their drop, even if I had to wait for some random community GB to end first.

Please don't get discouraged and let this idea die.  Just...please get in line :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

This is correct.  Haata has no affiliation with Massdrop.

Thank you guys, I have sent an email to Andrew, and I will let you know the answer.

Again, the intention of this is not to get in the middle of anybody else plans. The people that may be interested in these sets are mostly newbies that are just getting into keyboards customization, while most of the people buying GH GBs are us long timers that know what we want already, thus we will not change our minds just because a partial set may be offered. Each set will have their demand, some already have theirs.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Again, the intention of this is not to get in the middle of anybody else plans. The people that may be interested in these sets are mostly newbies that are just getting into keyboards customization, while most of the people buying GH GBs are us long timers that know what we want already, thus we will not change our minds just because a partial set may be offered. Each set will have their demand, some already have theirs.

But there is overlap here, there's no denying it.  There are a lot of people who exclusively use 60% boards that buy full sets and help support those that need the full set (whether they want to or not).  This will definitely fragment buyers, and doesn't really benefit anyone (there likely will not be enough 60%-only buyers, much like there aren't enough full size-only buyers).  GMK sets have a hard enough time reaching MOQ, I don't see how splitting this further would help anyone.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

But there is overlap here, there's no denying it.  There are a lot of people who exclusively use 60% boards that buy full sets and help support those that need the full set (whether they want to or not).  This will definitely fragment buyers, and doesn't really benefit anyone (there likely will not be enough 60%-only buyers, much like there aren't enough full size-only buyers).  GMK sets have a hard enough time reaching MOQ, I don't see how splitting this further would help anyone.

Fact is only the Dolch set is getting a few votes, and I think that does not fragment anything as there is no any other GMK Dolch in the horizon. I can hide the Beige option, that I see as the only one that may be in conflict with Photekq's.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear

I'm one of those people and I'm not alone. There are plenty of people here that will buy into whatever GMK sets are available, problem is we only have so much money. Running this in parallel with the already announced buys will hurt other people's GB's regardless of how you try to spin it.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Well guys, thank you for your feedback. I prefer to be in good standing with the community instead of keep my own ideas. It appears that this, even done with good intention, is deteriorating my reputation here.

I will ask Andrew to remove the poll at MD, if that is possible.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

The poll is going to be removed at MD, and this thread locked. I hope that this settle this, with those who posted opinions against the proposal.

Just as a side note Andrew is a great guy, and he was ready to help.