Author Topic: What do you think of this layout?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Rose

What do you think of this layout?
« on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:35:34 »
Here is the layout I've come up with.  I used keyboard-layout-editor.com to create it.  What do you think?  I want to make sure the larger thumb keys are easy to reach.  Is there enough room in the middle for a teensy?  I also included a couple doodles of how I'm thinking I'll wire the matrix.  Am I on the right track?  I'm new.

Offline brain29

Re: What do you think of this layout?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 23:47:00 »
I like it

but instead of going through the trouble of planning and building it yourself (unless you really want to)

you might want to look at acidfires build log for his campaign thats coming out
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.1590

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 07:01:15 »
There is easily enough space in the middle. While I was planning out a possible build, i found out that a teensy will pretty much fit anywhere that 2 keys can fit.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 08:38:36 »
I suggest that you print the layout in real-life scale and test typing on that to test if the locations of the thumb keys and column offsets work for you.
ErgoDox uses smaller column offsets than Key64 and previous column-layout keyboards, and personally I think it should have been larger.

Is there enough room in the middle for a teensy?
Yes. You could think of the Teensy as being one key wide and two keys long, but you should also consider the room for the cable and plug: the plug itself could be two or three keys long if you don't cut it open.

If you are making a PCB, you could also design it so that the Teensy is mounted under two switches - that is, if all leads could be routed and you don't mind the thickness. To build it, you would first solder header pins and switches to the PCB before you solder the Teensy onto the header pins.
🍉

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 08:42:34 »

Yes. You could think of the Teensy as being one key wide and two keys long, but you should also consider the room for the cable and plug: the plug itself could be two or three keys long if you don't cut it open.

If you are making a PCB, you could also design it so that the Teensy is mounted under two switches - that is, if all leads could be routed and you don't mind the thickness. To build it, you would first solder header pins and switches to the PCB before you solder the Teensy onto the header pins.

I would recommend avoiding this if at all possible.  The reason is if you ever have an issue with the switch that the teensy is convering, you have to desolder the teensy before you can desolder the switch.  That is how the GH36 is setup.  Granted it is acceptable and perfectly functional, but is still a bit of a pain in the ass to assemble.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 09:44:46 »
Your wiring looks good, but don't forget the diodes (one per switch, doesn't matter if it's wired to the column or row as long as it's consistent and the correct orientation for the way the firware drives the matrix). Yup, there's enough space between the halves for a Teensy.

Have you seen the Atreus? Very similar layout, but less keys:
http://atreus.technomancy.us/
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54759.0
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 10:12:31 »
I like the design! I'm experimenting with my own similar design right now. The main difference is, as odd as it might look, I want the tab, caps, shift etc to all be compatible with standard key cap sets so they will have a jagged edge on the outside since they will be aligned on the inside edge of the keys.

Offline Rose

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 10:39:10 »
but instead of going through the trouble of planning and building it yourself (unless you really want to)

you might want to look at acidfires build log for his campaign thats coming out
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.1590

I want to go through the trouble of building it.  My goal is familiarize myself with a whole bunch of new skills like soldering, firmware programming, and CAD software. (And get an awesome keyboard.)

I suggest that you print the layout in real-life scale and test typing on that to test if the locations of the thumb keys and column offsets work for you.
ErgoDox uses smaller column offsets than Key64 and previous column-layout keyboards, and personally I think it should have been larger.

Thanks,  I'll take your advice and see if I can figure out how to print a full scale layout to test.  I'll also experiment with more column offsets.  I could see that my fingers are naturally more offset than I have in the current layout.  I just want to err on the side of not enough offset.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by this.  Cut what open?

I have been wondering how to connect the usb cable.  I am guessing the best thing would be a detachable cable so if it gets yanked it just unplugs instead of damaging the teensy.  But then to do this it seems like the teensy or at least a the mini usb port would need to be mounted to the end of the case.

I am pretty set on hand wiring this one.  Maybe one day I'll try learning about PCB design and fabrication.  From what I can tell, the single biggest advantage to using PCBs is for mass production.  This will only be for the one board.

Your wiring looks good, but don't forget the diodes (one per switch, doesn't matter if it's wired to the column or row as long as it's consistent and the correct orientation for the way the firware drives the matrix). Yup, there's enough space between the halves for a Teensy.

Yeah thanks.  I know I am going need those.  They are to avoid ghosting, is that right?  I am planning on buying some and figuring out the correct orientation once I have all my switches mounted to a plate.  Then I'm going to get all the soldering and wiring stuff I need. 

Have you seen the Atreus? Very similar layout, but less keys:
http://atreus.technomancy.us/
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54759.0

I have seen and absolutely love the design of the Atreus.  It was very much an inspiration for this project.  The keyboard I am building is going my first ever mechanical, split, or column staggered board so it's going to take a lot of getting used to.  I'm planning on bringing everywhere with me and not using any other keyboards while I adjust.  So the goal is something portable but also with closer to a full 60% or 70% layout. 

I am probably going to start with the Atreus's case CAD files and try to modify/reverse engineer them into something that will work for my design.  I couldn't seem to get swill's plate tool to work for it.

Offline Rose

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 10:43:10 »
I like the design! I'm experimenting with my own similar design right now. The main difference is, as odd as it might look, I want the tab, caps, shift etc to all be compatible with standard key cap sets so they will have a jagged edge on the outside since they will be aligned on the inside edge of the keys.

Oh cool idea.  What do you have for a design so far?

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 11:32:04 »

Oh cool idea.  What do you have for a design so far?

This is still early in my thought process, I need to figure out the right side a bit but something along these lines: http://i.imgur.com/N9Qtg9k.jpg

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 13:32:26 »
I am not exactly sure what you mean by this.  Cut what open?
People who try to squeeze in a Teensy in their builds sometimes cut off the black rubber around the Mini-USB plug that goes into the Teensy, because the rubber is stiff and takes up space. Sometimes also the outer coating of the USB cable also. Then there is only the metal plug itself and some more pliable cords left.
It is a bit hazardous though. Cut just a little too deep, and you wreck the cable ...
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 13:34:19 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Rose

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 14:11:00 »
Do you think this one will still work?  I'll have to get a little more creative wiring the matrix but I like the layout better.  I'll still be able to connect the teensy to a mini usb on the edge of the case right?  I imagine there being enough room between switches to run the cable.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 22:47:24 »
Here is the layout I've come up with.  I used keyboard-layout-editor.com to create it.  What do you think?  I want to make sure the larger thumb keys are easy to reach.  Is there enough room in the middle for a teensy?  I also included a couple doodles of how I'm thinking I'll wire the matrix.  Am I on the right track?  I'm new.

Two suggestions

1) make it split layout in two pieces. Your shoulders are never less that 40cm apart. Why create a unified keyboard?

2) never mount teensy under switches. it's a big pain because mistakes occur and teensy removal is hell.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 05:49:50 »
Looks nice. Atreus-y. I think it'll be nicer un-split (splitting a small board takes away the convenience of a small board IMO)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:34:50 »
It looks good.  I like the diamond layout of the nav keys.  It wouldn't be practical for me but that's not the point.  I think Findcanor has offered the best advice so far.  Print your layout at 1:1 scale and see how it feels to pretend to type on it.  Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram.  That's something I didn't think about when designing my board.  Also, swill fixed the plate building tool last night.  Try it again. 

Looking at it some more, it looks like the Fn button is not conveniently placed for use by the right hand if you are going to use it to change the number keys to function keys.  This may not be an issue if you rarely use the function keys.   Of course, I don't know your physiology and this may be the ideal placement for you.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:42:04 by derezzed »

Offline Rose

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 12:13:48 »
Looks nice. Atreus-y. I think it'll be nicer un-split (splitting a small board takes away the convenience of a small board IMO)

Yeah.  I started planning on a split board but decided on the one for this reason.  I plan on taking this to school and using it at home so I want something very portable.  I think way down the road I might make a second, complementary split version to leave set up in my office at home.  For now that is not in the budget.  I'm also brand new to mechanical keyboards, soldering, teensy programming, etc so keeping it simple has its appeal.

It looks good.  I like the diamond layout of the nav keys.  It wouldn't be practical for me but that's not the point.  I think Findcanor has offered the best advice so far.  Print your layout at 1:1 scale and see how it feels to pretend to type on it.  Thanks for sharing the wiring diagram.  That's something I didn't think about when designing my board.  Also, swill fixed the plate building tool last night.  Try it again. 

Looking at it some more, it looks like the Fn button is not conveniently placed for use by the right hand if you are going to use it to change the number keys to function keys.  This may not be an issue if you rarely use the function keys.   Of course, I don't know your physiology and this may be the ideal placement for you.

Thanks!  As soon as I put the nav keys in that diamond I was sold on it.  I took Findcanor's advice and printed it to scale.  It is perfect!  I'm glad I increased the column offsets.  It's also more compact than I expected which is great.

The function key is actually very easy for me to reach with my thumb.

I tried swill's tool and it generated a CAD but it's kind of wonky.  It will be a good starting point at least.  I was pretty dead set on using layered acrylic for the case.  I can use my university's laser cutter.  Now I'm not sure though.  I've read that the a 1.5mm acrylic switch plate might be too brittle and crack.  I also read that 1.5mm acrylic might leave the switches a little loose.  I was hoping to not have to super glue them in place because I might need to swap them out.  But then some people just jam the switches into much thicker sheets and they stay put?  I need to look more into this.

I am thinking about calling it the falcon or the eagle or something.  It looks kind of like a bird right?