Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline schmickel

Greetings!
« on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 23:47:59 »
Hi!  My name is Michael.  I've been taking a course on Linux on edx.org, so I figured I would get a mechanical keyboard after seeing several people on the internet recommending them.  I've never owned one before, and this looked like a great place to start.  I've never been happy with generic keyboards, especially laptop keyboards, one of which I'm typing on now. :'(  I'm new to forums, so I don't know if this is the proper place to ask.  Like I said, I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard, specifically one for typing.  Not gaming.  Are there any decent ones under $100?  I've been doing research, but I need expert opinions.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 01:31:15 »
Welcome to Gh! You could find a cherry mx board under $100. Many brands out there with clean cases, no gaming fancy add ons. I suggest going up to $130 at least. Ducky, vortex, etc

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 07:09:10 »
Hello and welcome! Yeah dustin has the right idea. If you were to save a  little while longer you could make a solid keyboard investment. If you were a little more patient to even save up to $150 you'll have much greater amount of choices (I think $150 is a nice sweet spot).

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you plan on getting. If you have any questions please feel free to drop me a message.  :cool:

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:00:14 »
Should be quite easy to find a Model M for much less than $100, and those are great for typing. All subjective, of course, but they may be to your liking.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:02:25 »
Hey Michael! Welcome to geekhack, protect your wallet, much will try and take its precious cargo away  :))

Speaking of which...waiting and investing in something a bit nicer is definitely a good decision.  :p  Consider saving and buying a Kul or Filco, those are great starting points for the up and coming keyboard enthusiast  :thumb:

Offline jaime_herzog

Greetings!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:37:57 »
A great starter keyboard are the WASDs. Fully customizable from their webpage, including switch type. Now you just have to figure out what switch you want! There are loads of online resources detailing the intricacies of cherry mx switch types. Do your research!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 March 2015, 09:39:39 by jaime_herzog »

Offline schmickel

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 15:16:19 »
Thanks everybody!  I was looking around on massdrop on a whim last night, and decided to buy in on the Noppoo Lolita Spyder.  It was really cheap, but whether or not it's actually a good deal remains to be seen.  I've actually been looking into WASDs and KULs a lot.  I'm leaning towards getting a WASD barebones and getting some blank keycaps to help with my touch typing skills, which are severely lacking.  I'm only about 45-50 wpm. In highschool, I averaged around 65-70.  Use it or lose it, I guess.  :)  Anyway, thanks again!  I'll come back often!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 05:04:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are many options when it comes to choosing a keyboard, like size (full size, TKL, 75%, 60%, 45%, 40%), layout (ANSI, ISO, Dvorak, something else that eludes me for the moment), backlit or not, keycaps (ABS, PBT, POM, backlight-friendly, blank, front-print), and of course the biggest point of contention - switches.

Buckling spring, Topre and Cherry MX are probably the three most common readily available switches these days.  With a little effort you can find a good Alps keyboard too.

Put all those variables together, and in a community like this you'll get hundreds of opinions and suggestions :p

Under $100 is not likely to get you something backlit, but a nice TKL with ABS keycaps (keycaps can be replaced with longer-lasting PBT later on if you get a standard layout), and Cherry MX switches should last you for a good few years.

The Noppoo Lolita Spyder you mention has Kailh switches.  Some say they are as good as Cherry switches these days, although memories re still tainted by the older batches that suffered from poor quality control.  However bigger manufacturers, like KeyCool and Razor, have started using Kailh switches, so presumably they are fine now.

WASD keyboards are also very good, or the KUL is highly regarded.  Both of those will cost you a little more than the Noppoo, but well worth it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline schmickel

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 00:23:13 »
I already really like the community here!  I have been doing a lot of research on the subject lately,  a lot of which was on geekhack before I made an account.  I'm learning Linux and programming, and just wasn't satisfied with the keyboards I had.  I got a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2 a while back, and it's my favorite keyboard I have right now.  I like the layout, and the smaller size, but it just isn't enough.  My fiance's brother is an avid gamer, like myself, and while we were at his house, I noticed his keyboard.  I don't recall what brand it was, but I knew it was mechanical, and hearing the sound of the switches was enough to get me interested.  I've tried the displays of the Razers, and they're nice, but I didn't love they're Razer green switches.  I've been looking online, and listening to all the different types of switches and I think I like the sound of the Cherry MX Blues and Greens.  I need to try them out for myself, though.  I might get one of those sampler thingys.  I had read that the Kaihls were almost as good as the Cherries, so that's why I opted for the Noppoo on massdrop, with Kaihl blues.  Sorry, I tend to ramble a lot.  I look forward to feeding my new addiction here.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:14:17 »
Blues and Greens DO sound awesome! Though my wife cant stand them so I use Clears. Blacks and reds are also nice for quieter switches. Though cant beat the sound and feel of a green, just super noisy..
But I use topre anyways which is quieter then any MX.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 01:56:11 »
An excellent switch tester: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/cm-switch-tester

It includes a plate, and the case is reminiscent of a real keyboard, so you get more of the sound and feel as you would typing on a real keyboard rather than just pressing a raw switch held in your hand.

I like both blues and greens, with a definite preference for greens (I prefer stiffer switches).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ