Author Topic: Amazed by the rabbit hole  (Read 1516 times)

Offline blastoid

Amazed by the rabbit hole
« on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 09:52:41 »
I've actually been into mechs for a decade, ever since I pulled an AT101W out of the trash and fell in love with it. Stumbled across a Model M shortly thereafter and was hooked. The fact that the M keycaps were non-sculpted partially contributed to my switch to Dvorak in 2006. I tried to modernize a little, buying a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate in 2012, but I couldn't pull myself away from the lovely buckling springs.

A few months ago, I performed what I thought was just about the geekiest thing ever: After spilling coffee on my Model M at work, I went to my car to get my spare Model M out of the trunk.

All of this before I realized how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Two weeks ago, I stumbled across /r/mk, and wow. I bought a MaxKeyboard MX tester and decided that I like Clears. I bid on (and won) a random vintage board on ebay, no idea if it's mechanical. I bought a V60 with Matias QC off /r/mechmarket to try the switches, and I have a custom WASD V2 on order.

:eek:

Yeah, I got sucked in.

As a Model M user, I've thought about getting a WinKey Unicomp for a while, and I've seen the GH keys they offer there. But I never thought to look into what it was!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Amazed by the rabbit hole
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 10:19:22 »
Welcome to Geekhack!  I was wondering which keyboard are you using at work and which one at home?  And what ever happened to that model M you spilt coffee on?  I hope you still have it.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 10:24:37 »
I bid on (and won) a random vintage board on ebay, no idea if it's mechanical.

I did this recently. Bought a Cherry board for $15, but it turned out to be a rubber dome.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 10:30:12 »
Welcome to geekhack! What a hole it is  :p

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 10:32:07 »
With any Cherry boards on eBay it is worth doing a quick lookup on Deskthority.

And welcome to Geekhack. :D
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 11:07:43 »
Welcome to GH, brace your wallet and prepare for your mind to be blown with amazing keyboard related info and items.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 12:18:58 »
Welcome to GH! Model Ms rule! So do clears!

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 12:30:51 »
Welcome to GH! Model Ms rule! So do clears!
What about model Fs?

Offline blastoid

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:22:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!  I was wondering which keyboard are you using at work and which one at home?  And what ever happened to that model M you spilt coffee on?  I hope you still have it.
I'm using a Model M at work, and the Razer Ultimate at home. And yes, I still have the other one! I may try to bolt mod it and clean it out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 05:11:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

MX greens are closer to buckling spring than clears - but they are a poor substitute.  Nothing beats those little springs, buckling away :)

Do you always carry a spare keyboard with you?  If so, you'll fit right in around here :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ