Author Topic: Compact TKL (80%) - If I build this PCB would anyone design a case for me?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
I want to try this layout!

standard:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

I like my good old TKL layout and all the keys that come with it, but I also quite lick the compactness of the 75% layout.  This is a hybrid of the two that you might call 80%.  The Compact TKL has a full 87 keys but in the minimum amount of space.  It uses a standard keyset except for the one bonus key next to the arrows and the incorrect profile of Home/End.  Unlike a typical 75%, this has a more pleasing F-row stagger, which is nice.

The board comes with full backlighting and 8 (!) indicator LEDs to allow for lots of status info (see Easy AVR LED mapping).  It uses Costar stabilizers.

I'm good at the code and electronics, but I have no talent for case design.  I would like to fit this into something really nice.  I'm looking for a partner.  If you don't do 40/45/60% layouts and want a compact board with lots of keys that supports a standard key set, then sound off below.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:31:14 by metalliqaz »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Compact TKL - If I build this PCB would anyone design a case for me?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 21:46:50 »
I'm no CAD master and I'm only using TinkerCAD, but I think it may be time for me to try something bigger...as long as it's a more simple design.  I'd definitely try and get someone more knowledgeable, but if you throw out some dimensions (PCB/Plate size, x/y centered offsets for screw mounts, etc), I'll definitely give it a go.  I'd want someone with a bit more know-how like Photekq to give it a quick once over, but it could be fun.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 21:48:02 »
I may be able to help you out depending on how complicated a case you want  :thumb:

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 21:57:50 »
What kind of case are you after?

I just modelled a JD45 case which is essentially the same as the Tex 60% case. They're fairly easy to do, but the PCB needs to support it through optimized mount holes and USB connector location.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:00:37 »
My vote would be to do plate mounted to the case and have the PCB float.  Much easier on the PCB and case design.  Plus allows for handwired builds.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:55:40 »
Encouraging!  I can provide drawings, of course. The usb would indeed be top left.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:09:02 »
Encouraging!  I can provide drawings, of course. The usb would indeed be top left.

yeah post some drawings, as I said I may be able to help. Im not so much limited by technical skill but rather how much time I can dedicate to it  :p

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:36:24 »
Haven't designed it yet, but the PCB dimensions are at least "final"

I definitely want an 80% form factor

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:52:07 »
Haven't designed it yet, but the PCB dimensions are at least "final"

I definitely want an 80% form factor
Well if you want to brain storm pm me and I'll give you my skype for some IM :thumb:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Just to check in I'm still moving forward with this.  I'm excited about making something interesting.
I'm close to finishing a reference design.  I just have to get to work on a PCB so I can place the USB connector.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:30:48 by metalliqaz »

Offline regack

Just to check in I'm still moving forward with this.  I'm excited about making something interesting.
I'm close to finishing a reference design.  I just have to get to work on a PCB so I can place the USB connector.

(Attachment Link)

ooh, that's neat.  Almost seems like there would be enough room in there for more Interesting Things :D