Author Topic: Modernizing Hall Effect: 60% layout with custom Korean case  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Modernizing Hall Effect: 60% layout with custom Korean case
« on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:09:13 »
This is going to be my build log on geekhack; a similar log with different questions will also be on DT.

My plan is to make a pcb, tinker with my layout that is similar to a 60% keyboard, and possibly commission a case from a Korean custom kbd maker.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to use kicad, and I'm creating a PCB. I'm also in need of a spacebar :blank: so if anyone wants to help make a spacebar in CAD so I can 3D print it, that would be amazing.

The story:
I've acquired 2 Hall Effect keyboards on ebay with caps that are in fairly good condition. After going over the matrix with a few people, we concluded that it is 1KRO: something that I do not wish to use. HaaTa suggested that I make a custom PCB. At first, I didn't want to go through all the effort, but when I realized how badly I wanted to use Hall Effect switches, I decided to go all out. A full Korean custom case with a modified 60% layout.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:57:59 by Firebolt1914 »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Re: Modernizing Hall Effect
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:43:19 »
Alright, kailet said that if I send him the PCB files, he can make a case for me :eek:

This dream is slowly coming together

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Modernizing Hall Effect: 60% layout with custom Korean case
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:49:00 »
Pretty interested in this but there's not enough to read! Do you have a link to the DT thread?

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:46:06 »
I'm just getting started. The DT thread is about the same length too. Will edit both of them

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:23:32 »
Before pics?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:02:11 »
Oh my how I love stuff like this. Building one-of-a-kind awesome gear! 
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:20:03 »
Awesome idea, I'm really interested to see how this goes.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:55:43 »
This sounds like a really neat idea. I don't know a lot about hall effect keyboards. Are there standard switches, springs, or caps for this kind of board or are you basically winging it with discrete components?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 21:00:24 »
This sounds like a really neat idea. I don't know a lot about hall effect keyboards. Are there standard switches, springs, or caps for this kind of board or are you basically winging it with discrete components?

There are standard switches and all, but they're from a while ago, so I have little to work with.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 22:02:11 »
I like the layout, making use of those extra keycaps.

Note: this style of shuffling around the keys to make a more usable layout only works with "single magnet" or "sealed" switches. The old "dual magnet" types are limited by the "finger" plate they have available. Sealed switches need a custom plate of course but it's possible to make any layout you have the keycaps for.

also forget DT: you have more HE expects here anyway.

@njbair: SP can make keycaps with hall effect stems, though I think it's limited to SA (SA profile was most likely based on these hall effect caps)

I lubed up a hall effect board and a few GHers got to try it. It's very linear!