Author Topic: Das Keyboard breaks other USB devices, doesn't read on boot  (Read 8072 times)

Offline dotman

Das Keyboard breaks other USB devices, doesn't read on boot
« on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 08:45:16 »
Hello,

Wonder if any of you have any thoughts on this, or seen this.  I just got in a new Asus EEE PC (B202)-- its a small form-factor, low power pc for basic computing.  I also got in a Das Keyboard III, which I have to say is far better to type on than any keyboard I've owned.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work.  The B202 has four USB ports.  When I connect the DK after bootup, generally XP reads in a generic usb hub, a usb mass storage device, and then says that there was a problem.  The keyboard doesn't work, although all three lights (num lock, caps, scroll) remain lit.  If I switch ports, the same thing will generally happen on three of the ports, and then the fourth port will read in three HID compliant devices, a USB keyboard, and a generic hub.  At this point, the keyboard works.  However, if I try to connect a small USB flash drive (I've tried several), either to the keyboard USB ports or one of the two remaining USB ports on the PC, they will either come up as unknown devices, or read in as flash drives, be assigned a drive letter, but be unable to browse the files.  Often they don't light up, as if they are not receiving power.

Additionally, my monitor can function as a USB hub.  If the DK is connected, it also does not function properly.

Finally, and most importantly, if I reboot with the DK connected and working after finding the right port, it will not work.  It does work in BIOS (is detected and I can navigate settings, etc) but not in XP.  I typically have to move the plug around the different ports to find the (new) one that works now.   Re-booting does not cure the problem.

Any thoughts?  Anyone run into this?  With the Das Keyboard unattached, everything else functions normally (flash drives, monitor hub, etc), which makes me think its a Das Keyboard issue as opposed to a PC issue.  On the other hand, when I attach it to my laptop, it works fine.

Thanks!

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 09:03:56 »
I've never had these problems - I connect my DK via a powered USB 1 switch - but other people here have. The DAS III seems to draw a lot of current, which can overload some USB ports, and especially unpowered hubs.

Some buyers have received a USB Y cable with newer purchases, the idea is to share the load between 2 USB ports. If you don't have one, try plugging the DK into a motherboard USB port or a powered hub.

=================

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a sticky post here that summarises the quirks of the DAS III, and lock it so it doesn't turn into another mega-thread.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 09:04:27 »
Other people have posted about the USB problem, so I'd say return it and pick up a Filco.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline dotman

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 16:55:45 »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Hearing about others power problems, I tried out a powered 7-port USB hub I forgot I had.  Problem solved, everything works fine now.  So I guess in my case, at least, it was a power consumption thing.  I want to go look up the specs on my USB ports now, but I can't believe a keyboard could need more power than they provide.  

Thanks again all.  That filco looks nice too... if this hadn't of worked, or if it stops working, I'll return the boot (I'm calling it the boot now, mainly because after the picture above, I started thinking about das boot, and then started thinking how if this doesn't work I could wear the keyboard as a boot... get a mate and have a great pair of snowshoes with sweet clickety-clacks every time I take a step) and get one of those.

Offline cmr

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 September 2009, 18:25:05 »
sorry, but i've never had this problem on any machine.

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 01:19:05 »
I haven't experienced any of these problems with my Das III.  However, I've never used it on windows, only mac so far.  Could it be that it needs a usb 2.0 source in order to properly power the usb pass-through?

Offline molto

• http://www.friv.gs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 03:32:53 »
Quote from: ripster;114161
My first test of Bing Translate (ooo.... it has a autorecognize language feature).

Hmmmmm.......
My attempt at a faithful translation of this gorgeous von Goethe quotation:
What glistens is born for a glance; the real remains unforlorn for posterity.

Unfortunately, the rhyme is lost in translation.
The word unforlorn doesn't seem to exist, but it is the most literal and beautiful translation. In my opinion, genuine is a better translation than real (pure is also good), but I've chosen real because of the alliteration; to last is more beautiful than to remain, but it would require the adverb unforlornly which doesn't sound right. Interestingly, the German verloren is a participle, while its English counterpart forlorn is always an adjective since forlese is archaic (contrary to to forsake, forsaken). On the other hand, poets often bend grammar rules for the sake of aesthetics.
It's amazing how subtle changes of words can shift the interpretive emphasis! For example, Augenblick can mean moment, blink of the eye, glimpse and glance; Nachwelt can mean future, posterity and afterworld*; but each and every one of these translations also have their respective ambiguities.

*Although afterworld is the most literal translation of Nachwelt, it is most likely a false friend because Nachwelt is rarely meant in a spiritual way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2009, 04:32:23 by molto »
y8 | Miniclip | y3 | friv | ben10 | y8 | kizi | y8 | y3  | y8 | pogo

Offline ozzy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 14:04:37 »
Quote from: dotman;114105
Thanks for the suggestions.  Hearing about others power problems, I tried out a powered 7-port USB hub I forgot I had.  Problem solved, everything works fine now.  So I guess in my case, at least, it was a power consumption thing.  I want to go look up the specs on my USB ports now, but I can't believe a keyboard could need more power than they provide.  

I also had USB problems with the Das Keyboard Pro.
Connecting the keyboard to a powered USB hub solved all the
problems. Using the Y-USB cable included with the Das Keyboard
doesn't solve the problem.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 14:42:31 »
Return it, buy the Filco, be happy.

Offline meltie

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 10:29:57 »
I have the same problem with my Das Keyboard, but only with the Pro version, the Ultimate works just fine (I have both). I'm glad I'm not the only one. I will play around with the USB ports a bit or use it on a hub. I hope I get it to work properly, because I really don't want to return it, I like it a lot.