Author Topic: i've got a problem  (Read 1492 times)

Offline mullidan

• !(Lt. Dan)
i've got a problem
« on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 21:35:57 »
Hi all,

I have a problem...  Whenever I see something really bada$$ that interests me (Doesn't matter what *it* is) I turn into a knowledge fiend and dive head first into the deepest darkest pit of said interest. My wife and anyone else who has known me for long enough calls it the borderline OCD phase. Also, I've found myself to be somewhat of a collector of rare or otherwise hard to obtain items. The more rare the item and/or the harder said item is to obtain the more I seem to want/covet it. For example, I quit smoking this past year with the help of e-cigs. I spent a week vaping a device one of my good friends suggested even though I knew before I even started that a mech mod was what I really wanted. 1 week later, suggested item on desk, mech mod in hand. Yea, I'm pretty self sufficient in that area now as I make my own juice, build my own coils, etc... Everything short of owning a 5-axis CNC machine where I could really have some fun. That's just the latest example I can give. The list goes on and on.

Lately it seems as if time is playing catch up with me as my hands/fingers feel sore more frequently now. I guess I can attribute that to constantly smashing my fingers into POS rubber dome keys for the past 20 years. Well, I'm tired of it so I'm changing it up a bit.

There is just one problem...  "Which mech keyboard should I get?"  ;D   haha, just kiddin.

So after doing a little bit of research I've determined the following:
#1) Every single KMAC ( and other sweet boards too ) I see is just another reminder that my keyboard sucks.
#2) I really like the idea of a converting over to use a 60%.
 ( The Poker II (KBC Pure) seems like the honda civic of mech keyboards in that it is really easy to customize it over time and has a large selection of compatible keycaps that will fit it. )
#3) I tried out a Ducky DK2018SZ for about 4 hours last night. ( mx brown switches ). I think I need something more... Clears seem to be that nice in between, but Greens could also be the answer? Honestly, this is where I find myself right now as you can't exactly drive down the street and test out various switches and the tester seems useless except for the audible feedback it would provide you with. I care less what DBs it makes and more what it feels like.
#n)  There is apparently a cult of people who covet special/novelty keycaps such as the "Click Clack", "BroCaps", and probably others that have yet to be discovered. I guess this is ultimately the stage where most people like me would end up. Trying to find the nth key to complete my set so it doesn't look all janky.
#n+1) Building my own board does not seem hard, but rather just plain tedious. Especially one that has LEDs. Apparently, it is also more expensive than just buying a board from GON.

Questions:
1.) LeupoldFC660 - The keycaps are not standard right and so customizing will be limited?
2.) If you could go back in time before and put yourself in my shoes what would you get and why?
3.) Any idea where I can find a Poker2 w/ clears?

Just one of many amazing boards that has ultimately brought me to you all. Looking forward to learning some new stuff, enhancing my typing experience, and interacting with you all.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2015, 22:09:41 by mullidan »

Offline vindaon

Re: i've got a problem
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 21:46:36 »
Questions:
1.) LeupoldFC660 - The keycaps are not standard right and so customizing will be limited?
2.) If you could go back in time before and put yourself in my shoes what would you get and why?
3.) Any idea where I can find a Poker2 w/ clears?

1. Pretty sure the placement of the stems on the spacebar is weird / nonstandard.
2. Can't really give you good advice here, but the Poker 3 is supposedly coming out in a couple months.
3. I think the Poker II with clears is only from MassDrop. You might be able to find on the classifieds or on reddit's /r/mechmarket

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 02:53:25 »
1. FC660M has two left shifts and a weird space
2. Buy the best board you can, I started my 60% journey with a Poker which I loved but quickly outgrew and sold
3. Massdrop has them all the time, if you don't want to wait you could buy a Poker with any switch and do the swap yourself (I did this)

If you go with the second option and don't want to do the mod yourself hit me up and I can do it for you.  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 02:41:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like collecting (or at least lusting after) rare things, start following Click Clacks and Bro Caps artisan keycaps.  Some of those are pretty hard to find, some almost impossible.  And don't even think of getting a full collection - there are just way too many of each.  And there are at least a dozen other artisan keycap makers too!

MX clears are like stiffer browns.  MX greens are like clears but with an added click.

Answers:
1) ^ what they said - non-standard.
2) Entirely up to you as each person's needs and desires are different, but Poker II is an excellent keyboard.
3) qtan is rumoured to be getting some Pokers with clear soonish: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=3982940
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mullidan

• !(Lt. Dan)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 16:20:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you like collecting (or at least lusting after) rare things, start following Click Clacks and Bro Caps artisan keycaps.  Some of those are pretty hard to find, some almost impossible.  And don't even think of getting a full collection - there are just way too many of each.  And there are at least a dozen other artisan keycap makers too!

MX clears are like stiffer browns.  MX greens are like clears but with an added click.

Answers:
1) ^ what they said - non-standard.
2) Entirely up to you as each person's needs and desires are different, but Poker II is an excellent keyboard.
3) qtan is rumoured to be getting some Pokers with clear soonish: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=3982940

Thanks for the welcome Rowdy! I wasn't able to track down a poker 2 board w/ clears so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on CODE TKL w/ clears instead. I absolutely love the feel of the clears compared to the browns! TKL is taking a little time to get used to... I find myself constantly reaching for the numpad enter key and hitting the desk instead. Thanks for the link to Qtans site.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 04:36:25 »
CODE is an excellent keyboard - very positive reviews of that one.  I like the black/white theme it has too :)

The numpad Enter is probably what I missed most switching from full size to TKL.  Also I enter IP addresses fairly often, and that was a breeze with a numpad.

I guess a separate numpad would be the way to go if you really couldn't live without those extra keys, with the bonus that it could be moved out of then way when not required.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ