Author Topic: Data911 MDS2000 Keyboard by TG3 Electronics  (Read 4047 times)

Offline partyanimallighting

Data911 MDS2000 Keyboard by TG3 Electronics
« on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:17:31 »
Hi guys,

I am a lighting designer and I've run into a keyboard issue and I need your help and input. I've been searching for a backlit PS/2 keyboard to work with a Leprecon LP-X24 lighting console which has a PS/2 connector for mouse and keyboard and VGA out for an ELO touchscreen monitor. I wanted a durable keyboard that would stand up to the rigors of touring etc. so I purchased a DATA911 MDS2000 keyboard/touchpad which has the backlit option and is all metal construction. Here's the issue. I just hooked it up to the console and switched it on and the keyboard lit up and seemed to be functioning properly so I tested it further. The touchpad worked fine but the keyboard functions erratically, some keys do not function at all and every key that does function does not output correctly eg: if I type the letter A it might output a number or an asterisk or something like that. This keyboard will be perfect for me for this line of work and I would really like to get it to function properly. I am technically inclined and can open up this keyboard, switch around wires, resolder or switch around jumpers if necessary but I'll need some advice on this from the pros, you guys.

Can anyone help?

Offline intelli78

Re: Data911 MDS2000 Keyboard by TG3 Electronics
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:21:22 »
First step: test it with another computer to determine if the keyboard is simply defective.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:26:04 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 19:55:32 »
I had one of these and never had any problems. There are enough of them on eBay that it shouldn't be hard to replace if it's defective.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 21:49:41 »
So you guys think it's a physical problem with the keyboard and not anything to do with the software that runs the lighting console? The console works fine with a regular cheapo PS/2 keyboard and optical PS/2 mouse but the keyboard isn't backlit and the mouse is "jumpy" and "sticky". Do you think poking around inside the DATA911 and touching up on some solder joints and reseating chips etc. might help?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 21:51:09 »
Bro,

First step: test it with another computer

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 05:21:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

PS/2 is PS/2 and should be standard across various computers and keyboards.  If a different keyboard works, then it is probably a faulty keyboard.

The first step is to try the keyboard on a different computer ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 03:22:14 »
Hi guys, the problem here was finding a desktop with PS/2 mouse and keyboard inputs but I finally found one today at a friend's office. So I hooked up the MDS2000 to the desktop and it worked fine, no issues at all. So the keyboard is ok, the problem is compatibility with the lighting controller. Is there anything I can do internally with the keyboard to get it to function properly? It's a great keyboard and it's exactly the type of durable keyboard I need for this use. I'll repeat the symptoms....touchpad works fine when connected to the lighting controller but the keyboard outputs garbage and the keys that do output double up the character .ie: if I press the letter (a) the screen displays (qq) etc. (without the brackets).

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 23:11:51 »
Does light board have usb? You could try a converter if so.
I'm back.

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 03:06:50 »
Unfortunately no. The controller only carries PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse and VGA for the monitor.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:05:55 »
Could try a hack like PS2 --> USB --> PS2, failing that, probably would need to put a Teensy in it.

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 18:55:01 »
Hi, I had no idea what a Teensy was so I Googled it and I see that it's basically a small USB pcb. Where do I install this? Inside the keyboard? So I'll get a USB out from the keyboard into a PS/2 via a cable and adapter? Please don't tell me that I have to open the console. I would really hate to open that unit and screw around inside if it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:43:04 »
The lighting controller may not use standard PS/2 protocol for the keyboard at all. It may require a proprietary keyboard which uses a different protocol, yet strangely uses a PS/2 connector to connect the keyboard to the unit.

Edit: Well, I had a look at the product literature, and it should support a standard keyboard with PS/2. Have you tried another keyboard with it, and if so, what were the results?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:56:04 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 00:16:42 »
jdcarpe, here's the thing. I was using another standard cheapo PS/2 keyboard and optical mouse before that I bought from a PC store and it worked fine. The problem was, in dark venues, i couldn't see a thing on the keyboard so I bought this MDS2000 with great backlighting. But....only the touchpad functions. Still open to ideas....

Offline Parak

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 01:11:01 »
Most likely the console does not provide sufficient ps/2 power for the keyboard, which in turn draws more than a typical keyboard (but still within spec, since it works on a PC). Not much you can do there, I think, to use that particular keyboard.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 11:18:41 »
Hmm, keyboard into ps2 to usb convertor. That into powered USB hub. Usb to ps2 converter into lighting box.

Or just buy a headlamp??
I'm back.

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 15:26:05 »
Hi Parak and all others,

I contacted the lighting console company and they informed me (as Parak said) that the console cannot supply enough voltage to the keyboard to illuminate the keys and provide proper key entry function. Here's my question. I'd like to bypass the circuit line that feeds supply to the LED's and connect the LED circuit + and - to a chassis mount power input fed by a separate external power adapter or a small battery rechargeable button battery installed inside the keyboard via a chassis mount battery holder and a mini slide or toggle type on/off switch. Possible?