Author Topic: Made a Lego jig for my latest bolt mod  (Read 2592 times)

Offline wholphin

Made a Lego jig for my latest bolt mod
« on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 01:46:51 »
When starting my second bolt mod, I had a look around the house for a cardboard box to cut up for a jig so I don't go bending any of those precious springs. Couldn't find one, so ended up just making one out of  Lego. Possibly not the most original idea, but thought it was a neat way to protect the springs while I work away at removing the plastic rivets.

Apologies for the qualities of the pics, I'm not that good at photography :)
More

More

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 03:34:28 by wholphin »
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Made a Lego jig for my latest bolt mod
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 07:29:04 »
Boy, that was a lot of work! I would worry that it would separate if pressed too hard.

I made one for a standard M and one for an F-122 out of scrap 1x2 lumber because I wanted them sturdy.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline wholphin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:18:50 »
Boy, that was a lot of work! I would worry that it would separate if pressed too hard.

I made one for a standard M and one for an F-122 out of scrap 1x2 lumber because I wanted them sturdy.

It's solid enough. I took all the rivets off without it moving or falling apart. It'd probably start falling apart if I took it off my desk, but for its purpose it does the job well.

Those wooden jigs look quite nice - that would be my ideal if I was doing another bolt mod after this one.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 15:42:21 »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline wholphin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 15:50:30 »
if I was doing another

Ha Ha Ha Ha

I've found Model Ms quite hard to find in New Zealand (well there is an auction for one on Trademe that's been up for ~a month, but they have the starting bid at $320). I may have to do a bit of a visit around some of the computer recyclers. Either way, I've caught the Model M bug :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:06:23 »
if I was doing another

Ha Ha Ha Ha

I've found Model Ms quite hard to find in New Zealand (well there is an auction for one on Trademe that's been up for ~a month, but they have the starting bid at $320). I may have to do a bit of a visit around some of the computer recyclers. Either way, I've caught the Model M bug :)

What's shipping like from Australia?  They do turn up from time to time over here, and for considerably less than $320!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:27:22 »
Loving that rig!! I have a soft spot for Legos :D

Offline wholphin

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:28:23 »
if I was doing another

Ha Ha Ha Ha

What's shipping like from Australia?  They do turn up from time to time over here, and for considerably less than $320!

Ah, I should clarify. There's one auction up at current with a starting bid of $320 which was NIB until 2010 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/keyboards/corded/auction-859605748.htm). The ones I've managed to get were both for > $90. Might consider shipping from overseas for an SSK though!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 16:58:03 »
The US Post Office has a "large flat rate game board" box that will go to NZ for $77 so if you can crack that nut for shipping the base price might still need to be low.

Model Ms used to sell in the US in the $40-$60 range but recently that has edged up to $60-$80 +
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 10:30:42 »
Cool jig.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing