Author Topic: Trendy thread section  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Trendy thread section
« on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 08:29:09 »
Hey guys!

I'm using the Tapatalk app and in the new version they added a section for the trendy topics. I like this feature a lot and it is easy to keep up with stuff going on in the community. I don't think there is something alike in the website or at least I didn't find it. If that's the case, please feel free to redirect me to it and I'll close the topic.

I would like to see such a feature to be added to the website. I don't know if someone can be in charge for it otherwise I would be interested in programming it as I miss it when I'm on my desktop. I have a few algorithms possibilities to reach such a goal in mind. I'd be happy to share them with you to get your feedback and to elaborate the best algorithm that would suit our needs, if it goes through.

What do you think guys? Would you like to have it as well?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Trendy thread section
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 23:58:23 »
I also noticed Tapatalk's trending section, but it doesn't seem to me that anything they say is trending is of particular significance or importance to GH!

I wonder how they determine how something is trending.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 00:02:33 »
Personally, I find the spy feature just as, if not more useful. New topics, or topics with a lot of activity, tend to end up there. I've never felt the need for anything more than that.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 00:20:02 »
I think trending is based on the most active threads. For example, Clack therapy from Dec through Feb. I have seen some of the more controversial topics there as well.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 04:29:41 »
Well Spy only shows the latest posts but it fulfills the job a bit as you said.

What I had in mind was to give the list of 50 (not written in stone) topics which has the most comments + views during a special timeframe like the last hour or something like that. I would like to had some weighing on the number of comments and views as 1 for comments and 0.3 for views so topics with more comments would be prioritize against topics with lot of views but few comments.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 07:11:45 »
It would also be nice to be able to see threads with 0 comments because they tend to get buried and some people never get help with whatever they post about.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 12:42:18 »
It would also be nice to be able to see threads with 0 comments because they tend to get buried and some people never get help with whatever they post about.
In the same feature or in another one?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 12:44:27 »

In addition to it would be sort of an anti-trendy thread view  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 12:47:59 by SpAmRaY »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 13:39:44 »

I think similar but separate.  Both are great ideas.  Quickly see what's hot, and quickly see who needs help.  Nice.

By the way, congrats on the star, ngt! :D :D
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 03:40:13 »

In addition to it would be sort of an anti-trendy thread view  :))
Yeah that's not a bad idea actually.

I think similar but separate.  Both are great ideas.  Quickly see what's hot, and quickly see who needs help.  Nice.

By the way, congrats on the star, ngt! :D :D
Yeah I like the idea as well. Thanks!

Do you guys know who I should contact if I want to help on the website? Hoff?