Author Topic: Hey Y'all!  (Read 1592 times)

Offline mdmcaf

• If this isn't nice, what is?
Hey Y'all!
« on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 10:20:42 »
I've been lurking around here for a number of months and decided it was high time I introduced myself.

I've been into mechanical keyboards for about 4 years now, my first one being a Filco Majestouch2 Ninja with brown switches. Ever since getting that keyboard I've been in love with a good feeling keyboard and have bought three more keyboards. I just purchased a Leopold FC660M from Massdrop and am anxiously waiting for them to do another drop on the Tex Yoda Trackpoint.

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a way to get my normally shy self out of lurking on this forum and out into actually participating. I'm still very much a noob when it comes to keyboards, I've kept most things stock on my keyboards, having only switched out key caps on my Leopold Tenkeyless after I wrecked the A key during an intense gaming session.

Happy Saturday!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hey Y'all!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 05:09:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like you have most of the good keyboards already!  Now all you need is something Topre, and something with buckling spring :)

And maybe something with Alps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:14:57 »
Yup, a HHKB is next on my list so I'll have Topre taken care of. I actually have an IBM Model M in my possession, but I have no way to use it on my Mac Pro 1,1. It's also missing a few key caps and could use some love so it's a work-in-progress.

Not sure of the Model M would be Alps or Buckling Spring...but it's sitting on top of my bookshelf for the astute observer to notice.

Offline kohi

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 16:02:15 »
welcome to geekhack~

HHKB is a great choice for topre, although the layout might need some getting used to
I really need to try an Alps board too.. soon :))

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 00:14:30 »
Sup youns!

My new members post was hey y'all, brings me back.  :))
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58512.msg1336382#msg1336382
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 05:00:51 »
Yup, a HHKB is next on my list so I'll have Topre taken care of. I actually have an IBM Model M in my possession, but I have no way to use it on my Mac Pro 1,1. It's also missing a few key caps and could use some love so it's a work-in-progress.

Not sure of the Model M would be Alps or Buckling Spring...but it's sitting on top of my bookshelf for the astute observer to notice.

I have used a variety of Model M keyboards on my Mac!  They all work fine, either with one of orihalcon's SDL to USB cables, or a PS/2 to USB adaptor.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 15:47:00 »

I have used a variety of Model M keyboards on my Mac!  They all work fine, either with one of orihalcon's SDL to USB cables, or a PS/2 to USB adaptor.

That's fantastic news! I didn't even think to try a PS/2 to USB adapter. I just assumed it wouldn't work. Right now the Model M is doing some display duty on top of a book case, it's a little big for my desk...but I've really missed typing on that thing. It was my main keyboard for many years when I was younger.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 08:05:57 »
Welcome to geekhack! I also have a BS that I haven't' found use for yet. :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:19:13 »

That's fantastic news! I didn't even think to try a PS/2 to USB adapter. I just assumed it wouldn't work. Right now the Model M is doing some display duty on top of a book case, it's a little big for my desk...but I've really missed typing on that thing. It was my main keyboard for many years when I was younger.

My two full sized Model Ms are also on top of a bookshelf, but I'm using one SSK at work (Windows 7, although I miss having a Win key sometimes) and the other one I'm using with a SDL to PS/2 cable and a PS/2 to USB adaptor (ID Innovations) on my Mac.