Author Topic: Micro connectors  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 19:28:22 »
Anyone familiar with this thing?  I read a review of the Kensington Studioboard (combined with a mini-review of the original Tactile Pro/Strong Man) that referenced these Micro Connectors boards as worth a look for Mac users.  The review claimed they were OOP, and being that they were designed for the original iMacs, and the fact that I'm a pretty superficial dude, I gave it no more thought.

Then today, I was in FRYS and spotted a Micro Connectors product with an 800 number on the packaging.  "What the hell," I thought.  I gave them a call, and inquired if they still made their old Mac keyboards.  "Yes, of course we do," said the man on the other line, much to my surprise.  So then he put me through to a product expert who, when asked, swore up and down this D07-135 series did, in fact, have mechanical keyswitches, and were of the "clicky" type.  "Some people don't like that," he said.  "But they're quite nice."  

Anyway, I've now got one sitting in my shopping cart on their website, and I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with these boards before I pull the trigger.  The product itself is shockingly cheap, but the shipping's 10 bucks and I'm not made of money.

Offline Rajagra

Micro connectors
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 19:39:45 »
Googling D07-135GPT leads to descriptions saying its keys are "quiet and soft".

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 19:44:30 »
I saw those, but I've never been one to trust 8-year-old marketing blurbs over the words of real people I can talk to.  The average buyer most likely doesn't want to hear "loud and clicky."

Offline hyperlinked

Micro connectors
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 19:50:23 »
I own four of these keyboards. The one I bought in 2000 was one of my favorite keyboards. I used it until I ran out of "useless" function key switches to swap into place of other switches that died.

Micro Connectors stopped producing these keyboards, but Buy.com had a cache of old stock that I picked up for $40 to $55US each. I ended up with three of these. None of these lived up to the original that I owned. Two of them suffered from ghosting with one of them so severe that I never got any use out of it. The other one felt surprisingly stiff and hurt my hands so I had to put that one down too.

I'm sure Micro Connectors stopped making these because I tried to find these keyboards on their website a couple of years ago and it was nowhere to be seen. The one they have listed now may more may not be the same as what they produced before. They made a decent keyboard. $14.99 seems a bit cheap for a decent keyboard. I'm curious how their most current editions perform.

The ones I own are indeed mechanical switched keyboards. They're not tactile nor do they click. They have very little resistance, which is why I liked this keyboard in the first place.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

Micro connectors
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 20:03:28 »
Actually, I take what I posted back. Now that I've been learning about what goes into these keyboards I like, I pulled off a few keys of my Micro Connectors and was surprised to see an imprint on the black switches that said "ALPS".

They are not truly clicky, but they make a lot of noise. In addition to the ALPS switches for this model being very springy, the way the keyboard is made makes for some odd acoustics that gives the keys a little echo.

I'll post some pics and record some audio this weekend. Don't have time or energy right now.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 20:32:56 »
Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet on one.  It's a much cheaper investment than a Customizer, and (IMO) marginally better looking.  And the madre needs a Mac keyboard for her clamshelled laptop anyway, so if it's not for me I can foist it off on her.

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 14:35:06 »
This keyboard just came in.  it does indeed have black Alps-marked keys.  Though I'm guessing they're what you guys call "simplified" or "fake" Alps.  So far I'm really enjoying it, but I am coming off having used scissor and dome keyboards for a long while now.

Offline cmr

Micro connectors
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 15:27:54 »
it has begun

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Micro connectors
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 15:38:49 »
Quote from: cmr;117862
it has begun
What has?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 15:57:11 »
Quote from: cmr;117862
it has begun

Ha!  We have a saying over at Head-Fi, one of the bigger 'net headphone forums: "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet."  I suppose that rings true for a lot of people here, too.  Nonetheless, I'm actually pretty picky about the whole Mac keys and aesthetic issue, being superficial about my computers and all, so there really aren't that many keyboard options out there for me.  I do love buckling springs, having grown up on them, but the Model Ms and Unicomps are just too hideous to consider, particularly with a lack of Mac keys and being more than double what I paid for this number.  I also can't live with tenkeyless.  Anyway, we'll see if I find myself dissatisfied with this particular purchase anytime soon.

Offline D-EJ915

Micro connectors
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 16:38:22 »
unicomp would probably put mac logos on the keys instead of windows ones if you asked nicely lol

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 16:57:55 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;117881
unicomp would probably put mac logos on the keys instead of windows ones if you asked nicely lol

They will, and have, but when they do it, it's not the same lettering, and it looks really off.  The bigger issue though, frankly, is money right now.  I could probably swallow their looks for the sake of superior feel and build quality, but as it stands the keyboard I picked up was $15 and is doing the job quite well for now, not to mention looks quite a bit better and has native Mac keys.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Micro connectors
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 17:16:04 »
Quote from: Meyvn;117886
They will, and have, but when they do it, it's not the same lettering, and it looks really off.  The bigger issue though, frankly, is money right now.  I could probably swallow their looks for the sake of superior feel and build quality, but as it stands the keyboard I picked up was $15 and is doing the job quite well for now, not to mention looks quite a bit better and has native Mac keys.

Unfortunately, the options for Mac-native keyboards are rare, and usually unspectacular.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline hyperlinked

Micro connectors
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 17:22:22 »
Quote from: Meyvn;117886

Ah, so the keyboard is doing fine, eh? Is it kinda loud and springy to the touch? The ones I have are very very "clacky." There really is some bit of echo to the keys.
-

Offline cmr

Micro connectors
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 17:42:27 »
Matias says the Tactile Pro 3 should be out "any minute now", so if you like the modern Alps switches you might want to check that out once it ships.

Offline wellington1869

Micro connectors
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 17:46:27 »
Quote from: cmr;117901
Matias says the Tactile Pro 3 should be out "any minute now", so if you like the modern Alps switches you might want to check that out once it ships.

thats great, and i hope it has fukkas like the tp2!  I signed up to be notified on email.

who'll be the first guinea pig to get one?  

I might do it, since they have a 30 day return policy in case it fails any of my fukka tests, lol.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

Micro connectors
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 17:47:56 »
i believe the micro connectors has black alps. I looked into it at one point a while back...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Meyvn

Micro connectors
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 September 2009, 18:00:43 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;117894
Ah, so the keyboard is doing fine, eh? Is it kinda loud and springy to the touch? The ones I have are very very "clacky." There really is some bit of echo to the keys.

I definitely noticed the echo you mentioned at first, but I painted the case white with Krylon Fusion within 15 minutes of unboxing, and since having done that, the echo seems to have largely receded.  I still get it a little bit, but not nearly as much; this paint's some thick stuff, apparently.

It definitely has black keyswitches that say Alps on them.  I can only assume that they're black Alps.  They don't require all that much force to get them to push down, but having come off using scissors for the past six years, I don't naturally use that much force to push down, so I find these quite to my liking actually, especially considering the price.  I hit the bottom often on the space bar and the delete/backspace, but not really on any other keys.  I still remember liking my old Model M back in the day better, but this doesn't feel as inferior as I expected it to.  

Interestingly, Mac OS thinks this keyboard is a Strongman. If I recall, that's the company that actually produces the Tactile Pro series, rather than Matias?

One thing I really do miss--and this isn't specific to this keyboard really; I'd get it with most aftermarket options--is Apple doesn't offer full remapping of all the function keys.  I can reassign all my dashboard and exposé (and Spaces if I used it) keys, but none of the volume/play-pause/track skip controls for use with Quicktime and iTunes.  I've found third party software to help with this, but it doesn't quite work the same way Apple's official hotkeys did; it the volume, play/pause and track stuff were OS-wide rather than iTunes specific, and I could fast forward/rewind as well as skip tracks.  These are minor things, but workflow issues I suppose I'll have to get used to.  It seems the Matias board would be able to do the volume, but not the rest. Hmm.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2009, 18:11:26 by Meyvn »

Offline hyperlinked

Micro connectors
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 October 2009, 22:25:17 »
I just pulled my old beat up MicroConnectors keyboard out of the garage when I went to go dig out an ADB cable to plug into an AEK II I just got off eBay. I pulled the keycaps off of it to take a better look at one of my old favorite keyboards to see if it was the same thing as the newer versions that I'm not that fond of.

The old ones use black ALPS switches. The newer ones use white ALPS switches.
-