Author Topic: Hello from England  (Read 1009 times)

Offline biff

Hello from England
« on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 10:48:49 »
Hello from Blighty!

Over the past few weeks I've read many GH posts as I tried to decide which keyboard model should be by first mechanical keyboard. I'm a software developer by day (and often into the evening) and an occasional gamer by night so I spend quite a bit of time at the keyboard. At home I've used an old Saitek Eclipse II for the past few years but it was definitely past its use-by date. It's a Dell at work (possibly a KB212-B).

When I started my research, I didn't know how difficult my decision would be!

I was originally leaning towards browns as the choice of switch for my first mechanical keyboard but then I decided to order a Cherry switch sampler kit. Although it may not be truly representative of switches mounted in an actual keyboard, it did help my decision. The brown switch didn't feel as tactile as I was expecting and I'm currently typing this post on a Filco Majestouch-2 TKL with blues that only arrived a couple of hours ago... (It's also my first TKL.) I would've preferred the ninja version but there wasn't any availability and I didn't want to wait any longer! However, I might look at replacing the keycaps at some point in the future although PBT ISO keycaps don't seem too easy to come by.

Of the non-clicky switches, the clear was my favourite. I want to replace my work keyboard so I think I might take my new Filco into work at some point to see if the noise annoys anyone. If it does then I'd prefer to get a keyboard with clears but it looks like that would limit me to a WASD v2, which would be approaching the cost of a Topre by the time I add the shipping and import costs...

Anyway, I think that's enough waffling for now!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from England
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 04:32:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You might be lucky with blues, or you might not, in terms of annoying your co-workers.  I use an SSK at work (buckling spring), and I've had a few comments, but so far nothing overwhelmingly negative.  If pushed I could revert back to my previous work keyboard which had MX greens :))  Another guy there uses MX blues (actually one of my keyboards that he is borrowing).

Have you tried The Keyboard Co.?  UK-based, so at least the shipping should be a bit less!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline biff

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 05:30:00 »
Thanks for the suggestion. I got my new Filco from The Keyboard Co but they don't stock WASD boards unfortunately. However, if I can get away with the blues at work then I could just get another Filco without having to worry about getting a board with clears. Although looking at most GH members I'm probably going to end up with more keyboards than I need at some point!   ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 04:57:23 »
Thanks for the suggestion. I got my new Filco from The Keyboard Co but they don't stock WASD boards unfortunately. However, if I can get away with the blues at work then I could just get another Filco without having to worry about getting a board with clears. Although looking at most GH members I'm probably going to end up with more keyboards than I need at some point!   ;D

True, very true :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ