Author Topic: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)  (Read 57400 times)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Key Cap Creation (Topre Fn)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:54:32 »
I might just send you one for stress testing and review with the white walker I'm about to trade to get my very first bro cap back?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:56:42 »
I might just send you one for stress testing and review with the white walker I'm about to trade to get my very first bro cap back?

Since I use my HHKB daily, Stress testing would be my pleasure!  ;D
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 19:57:58 »
If I do send you one, can u do me a favour and use the cap on an alpha you use a lot even if it will be an odd mixed profile? No better way to test mods and 1u keys than to use them as alphas.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:01:53 »
What rows have you made?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:02:29 »
Just R4 and some mods.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:05:19 »
If I do send you one, can u do me a favour and use the cap on an alpha you use a lot even if it will be an odd mixed profile? No better way to test mods and 1u keys than to use them as alphas.

Yeah, I'll throw it on "A". That'll give it a workout.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:05:40 »
Well I don't know qwerty very well but on dvorak I use the bottom row pretty often for m and w.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:06:49 »
Dvorak sounds so alieny. Alright, once I make it then I'll send it to you Exit for letting me get my most precious first ever Bro cap back.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:08:59 »
At this point qwerty is alieny, my wpm has dropped to 6.  :(

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:13:15 »

Colemak is where it's at (seriously, I would convert to it if there were caps for it). I don't mind dvorak, and qwerty is just fine to me. I still hit 100wpm consistently, so I'm not going to complain about qwerty.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:17:22 »

Colemak is where it's at (seriously, I would convert to it if there were caps for it). I don't mind dvorak, and qwerty is just fine to me. I still hit 100wpm consistently, so I'm not going to complain about qwerty.

I've just given up on finding caps but I touch type so it doesn't bother me. I'm at 50ish on dvorak but I haven't been trying to increase my wpm, I was at about 90 on qwerty but I couldn't touch type.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:18:56 »
Lel. I can't touch type and I only use 6 fingers when typing.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:18:57 »

I've just given up on finding caps but I touch type so it doesn't bother me. I'm at 50ish on dvorak but I haven't been trying to increase my wpm, I was at about 90 on qwerty but I couldn't touch type.

I'm at around 100 touch typing on qwerty, I can maybe do 60 on dvorak (but I can't touch type on dvorak) and about 125 touch typing colemak. I've been using colemak since before I got into mechs, so that's the only reason that works.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:20:52 »
I'm at around 100 touch typing on qwerty, I can maybe do 60 on dvorak (but I can't touch type on dvorak) and about 125 touch typing colemak. I've been using colemak since before I got into mechs, so that's the only reason that works.

The only reason I switched layouts is I wanted to touch type. I may learn colemark at some point but I'll probably never go back to qwerty, it's too inefficient.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 22:15:14 »
Does anyone want to sell me some blank enter, tab, and backspace/delete key for the HHKB? Newer would be better.

Holy crap dude... Not only 1 mod which is a first.. But multiple modifier keys.. You're amazing. Please do the giveaway soon!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 22:42:07 »
Does anyone want to sell me some blank enter, tab, and backspace/delete key for the HHKB? Newer would be better.

Holy crap dude... Not only 1 mod which is a first.. But multiple modifier keys.. You're amazing. Please do the giveaway soon!

You've seen his space bar, right?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 22:50:32 »
Photo courtesy of ImpendingDom. FN R4 and Spacebar match

Offline luminor

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 03:21:07 »
niceeee i'll get the  pink and purple pls

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 04:45:12 »

Show Image

That spacebar looks very clean! :0

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 05:54:44 »

Show Image

indeed!!!!!
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 06:08:44 »
Killin it!!! Spacebar looks beautiful!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 14:01:14 »
Killin it!!! Spacebar looks beautiful!!!

Show Image

indeed!!!!!

Show Image

It had a few problem areas on the bottom side of it, but I took a bit of time on an industrial polishing machine and the imperfections melted away quite nicely. There a still a few bubbles but nothing detrimental to its use.

If the sonicator is not working 100% (I'm assuming you are using a probe sonicator), I would suggest a vacuum degas before hand or  pressure cast. If the work time is not enough for both the sonicator AND a vacuum degas, do some experiments to find out which is more effective in the time frame. Pressure casting is almost always do-able because you don't have to worry about work time, just demold time. I'm sure I have used different media than what you are using now, but I have had much more success with vacuum and pressure than sonication. That being said I have only used a bath sonicator; it had results but a probe is probably a bit more effective. I also like short work time/demold time and low viscosity so I have had some restraints of my own.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:07:22 »
Teaser pic for what is to come later Thanks for the suggestion doom. I actually had major mold issues on the space bar so I won't be making hem till I have more materials. I use an industrial sonic at or but it is mainly for distributing and mixing them uniformly. I will eventually get a degasser as well once I have enough to do so but the working Ines vary and might not give me enough time to Degas's and use the sonicator. The caps are getting better now compared to when I was making them before.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:17:59 »
This is some advice, personally coming from me as a cap consumer. The visible lines in a transparent cap ruin the look for me. So I guess my suggestion is to make it so the lines that are there.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:20:22 »
The cap won't be as sturdy if I were to make it without the lines. I actually tried it and the cap ended up bing brittle and feeling quite different. If most people do prefer that they aren't there then I can definitely so that.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:24:11 »
Omg, that Frosted/Milky Pink looks awesome Synjin! O=
Not sure if my body can withstand a picture of a modifier set in that color!

I personally dont mind the support bar lines on transparent caps honestly.

But making the hole cap as thick as the supports would remove the lines look an make it even more sturdy.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:27:43 »
I will be making a list if stuff that should be tackled when new iterations if the caps are made.
The mods are lacking some keys since I don't have those blanks.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 15:56:36 »

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCEEEEE!!!!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 16:10:37 »
The cap won't be as sturdy if I were to make it without the lines. I actually tried it and the cap ended up bing brittle and feeling quite different. If most people do prefer that they aren't there then I can definitely so that.

I personally don't mind the lines! Would definitely prefer them if they make the structure nicer too!

Offline joey

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 16:11:43 »
Amazing work Synjin!

The caps are looking close to perfect!

Now I need some thock in my life...
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:01:51 by joey »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 18:51:45 »
Oh man that Frosted Pink... <3 <3 <3
I can't stop imagining modifiers like this but the Love is already too much. xD

Honestly scared for the next update, not sure If my body can handle more of that Frosted Pink beauty...
* FoC_Tow coveres his eyes. Peeks...

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 19:10:31 »
I really don't mind the lines either as I haven't seen to many variants of trans keys without them. Let me know what modifiers you need if any of them can be found on a RF 87u tkl I might be able to help.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline martinyeah

• * Maker
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:46:36 »
Well done job Synjin.

Your Keycap doesnt look like the new beginer.

I enjoy making keycaps ,because it is very interesting and when the cap finished i have the feeling of satisfy :)

Looking forward to see more about your great work.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 12:09:50 »
Well done job Synjin.

Your Keycap doesnt look like the new beginer.

I enjoy making keycaps ,because it is very interesting and when the cap finished i have the feeling of satisfy :)

Looking forward to see more about your great work.
Thank you for your support Martin. You are one of my inspirations for sure. With hopes, I can make a full nod set for the HHKB.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:03:35 »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:09:32 »
Show Image
Show Image

Those look super clean!  :)  You are making super fast progress Synjin!

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:43:30 »
Pink ish purple that is reactive to UV as requested.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:20:38 »

That color is pure Love Synjin! <3
Its really subtile yet really pops in a way and is actually even a UV color!

I'm really wondering if it would look more or less vibrant on the white case of the type S.
A white case might make it bright, a dark one even more subtile i guess...  :)

Is the second pic actually done with UV light btw? Is the glow strong?

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:24:52 »
god synjin I love those cant wait til you start to release some  :)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:28:17 »
The glow is strong but I don't have a tripod to actually attempt to capture it glowing with UV light.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:39:24 »
The glow is strong but I don't have a tripod to actually attempt to capture it glowing with UV light.

I can take care of pictures Synjin! I have the equipment except for the caps to take pictures of... xD

Sounds awesome tho! Does UV make the glow more white or pink?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:39:46 »
It glows white.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:44:31 »
Purple trans.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 10:59:41 »
This is probably due to lightning but it looks really blue from there.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:00:12 »
Potato phone. Its deep purple.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:01:40 »
This is probably due to lightning but it looks really blue from there.
Same however the screen on my tablet is really off and does not even come close to displaying colors correctly !

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 11:03:17 »
I will try to get a better pic after class.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:10:26 »
You did deep purple and oj trans! Why you tease me sooo! :D  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 21:49:20 »
You did deep purple and oj trans! Why you tease me sooo! :D  :thumb:
lol right !

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:12:53 »
Giveaway has started.