Author Topic: Keyswitch recommendation  (Read 2296 times)

Offline erricrice

Keyswitch recommendation
« on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:16:52 »
So I am trying to find the perfect switch for me.  Ugh, I've been bitten and it won't go away, please help.  Admitting that you have a problem is the first step.....
Buying a new keyboard is the second!
Anyways I am looking for a keyboard that is pretty stiff(>55 g) and that doesn't have the actuation point right at the top of the key(that's the way that ALPS feel to me).  I like the ALPS 'boards that I have, but they seem to just be missing something.
I was thinking that Cherry Blacks might do the trick as they actuate at 60 g.
Are there any cheap Black cherry 'boards out there that are easy to find?

Any other ideas on what switch I might be looking for?
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maņana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline erricrice

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:31:54 »
Quote from: ripster;115022
What's wrong with your Model M?  Meets your specs.

Well, but that doesn't meet my requirements of continuing my addiction lol.

And yeah, I know it does meet those requirements and I do like it, but I would like to try some others as well.  I like the smooth feel of the cherry switches, but the Blues are way too light for me.

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:42:49 »
Quote from: erricrice;115020
So I am trying to find the perfect switch for me.  Ugh, I've been bitten and it won't go away, please help.  Admitting that you have a problem is the first step.....
Buying a new keyboard is the second!
Anyways I am looking for a keyboard that is pretty stiff(>55 g) and that doesn't have the actuation point right at the top of the key(that's the way that ALPS feel to me).  I like the ALPS 'boards that I have, but they seem to just be missing something.
I was thinking that Cherry Blacks might do the trick as they actuate at 60 g.
Are there any cheap Black cherry 'boards out there that are easy to find?

Any other ideas on what switch I might be looking for?

Bare in mind that Black Cherrys are linear, and therefore have no tactile point. And your criticism of the Black Alps is similar to that that a lot of people around here (myself included) would have of them.

On the other hand, you sound like a suitable candidate for initiation into the Cult Of The Model F. Come to the dark side, we have capacitors!
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:58:26 by ch_123 »

Offline lal

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:44:10 »
Brilliant :)
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline wellington1869

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 09:52:31 »
cherry blacks are a bit of an acquired taste I think. In my experience with them anyway they tired out my fingers in a way that M's and F's and Alps did not, even if the "raw" resistance force of all these switches was in the same area around 55-70g. I think the curve of the resistance matters as much as the raw resistance force.

Blacks seem to increase resistance as you push down (as opposed ot the other switches which can actually decrease ressistance (like Ms and Fs) as you push down (after the spring buckles), or alps where the resistance feels about even as you push down). I think that made the difference with blacks, so you're constantly pushing down on jello.  Tired out my fingers.
Actually the only person i know who liked blacks was xsphat but even he had to break them in "for about a year".

If you want to try them tho, they're easy to find and pretty cheap, on ebay and etc. But sounds like your best bet is M's or F's though, I think.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 10:50:56 »
Clears would probably be a better bet than blacks, but they're not that easy to find. Blacks might not be a bad choice for stuff like modifiers or cursor keys, but I wouldn't want to have them in the main alphanumeric block. They're OK when well-worn, but can be a bit tiring.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline rdjack21

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 11:58:21 »
Man you only have one Model M that's not collecting. You need a Space saver and a M13 and a M15 if you can find one that is. And of course you need a Model F and a M2. True that does not let you try new switches but it does let you fill out your collection in what you do like. Oh and lets not forget you have to have a few NIB Model M's stuck in a closet somewhere just in case.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for trying other switches but at the same time if you have found what you really like start collecting those while you search out those other switches you have not tried yet. If you do find something else you like better you can always sell off your previously collected boards to fund collecting the new ones.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline erricrice

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 12:50:52 »
I'll probably end up trying one of these out to check out the switch once I get a some more funds =)

All you Model F-ers and your propaganda!  You will not bring me over!  
I might try one out down the road, but they seem a little harder to find and more expensive when you can find them.

I will probably end up with a collection of Ms.  I don't think it's really avoidable, but at this point I just don't even have the money for it lol.
Ahh, the inevitable.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2009, 12:52:57 by erricrice »

Logitech G5[/FONT]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 12:56:57 »
Quote from: erricrice;115067
All you Model F-ers and your propaganda!  You will not bring me over!  
I might try one out down the road, but they seem a little harder to find and more expensive when you can find them.

There's some cheap XT and terminal Model Fs, that whilst incompatible with modern PCs, will give you a good idea of whether you want to spend $70+ and potentially months of stalking eBay to get an AT one.

Offline erricrice

Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:34:54 »
Quote from: ch_123;115070
There's some cheap XT and terminal Model Fs, that whilst incompatible with modern PCs, will give you a good idea of whether you want to spend $70+ and potentially months of stalking eBay to get an AT one.

I see.  This is very logical.  I might consider that!

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Logitech G5[/FONT]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:39:34 »
Here is a suitable guinea pig. Although selling for $45, they've only managed to shift one in the month or two that they have been up. I'd say you could easily get one on an offer of $20-25

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:41:54 »
I'd prescribe an IBM clicky keyboard. They meet all your requirements.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Keyswitch recommendation
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:42:51 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;115085
I'd prescribe an IBM clicky keyboard. They meet all your requirements.

Damn, wish I had thought of that!