Author Topic: Toronto Meet - Matias Tour Round 2 (July 11, 2015) - PICTURES PAGE 7  (Read 60127 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Toronto Meet - Matias Tour Round 2 (July 11, 2015) - PICTURES PAGE 7
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:32:38 »
I believe it was a type of topre with super sculpted high profile caps? I didn't like how much it sucked my fingers into the caps. Not 100% on the switch type though. Iirc it felt like light topre.

The board is called the Nissho KB106DE.
It originally came with 30g topre switches and was later changed to 55g. Halverson said they were super light in the comments but that may be because I kept the numpad in 30g.
The bottom row arrangement isn't actually like that and is more of a traditional Japanese layout but it has been fiddled with to look like it did.

I liked it! I loved the feel of the keycaps, actually. Are those stock?

Yup the caps are completely stock. Aside from the spacebars.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/topre-yk2100-realforce-capacitive-switches-9a-86202.htm

This is the closest item that you can get.

The keycap profile is exactly the same although this would be 45g uniform instead of the mix of 55g and 30g like FrostyToast's board.  :P

+1 for sushi.  But not bubble tea, it's like drinking Topre cup rubber.  Squishy.  Ew.

;)

That's maybe the most insulting thing I have read on this forum.

Hahah it's not that bad, usually at bubble tea places they sell enough variety of other stuff to cover everyone's preferences.

If you don't like tapioca then get fruit jelly, or pudding, or grass jelly, lots of options here.  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 11:56:10 »
Damnit guys! Because of the meet...I want a HHKB...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:01:35 »

Yay!

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 12:46:33 »

Yay!

I'm waiting for mistake^2's AL case...mmmmmmmmm :-*

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:35:41 »

Yay!

Oh Lordy. Get the hhkb before we get old!

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:41:23 »

Yay!

What boards do you have sir? All you brought was your "iPhone 4S with linear switches"

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:48:03 »

Yay!

What boards do you have sir? All you brought was your "iPhone 4S with linear switches"

Ughhhh so many. Should have brought some.
Hhkb
Hhkb with 30g silent
JiS anniversary topre
Topre short throw
LZ GH
Siig mini touch with Monterey blues
Duck v2 with blue alps
Ducky year of the rabbit
Model f 122
Weird Chinese/Japanese alps
Weird Japanese ibm with some sorta clicky switches
Several model M including one made on my bday
Sgi granite
Grass valley video editing tank with a 2550 shoved inside
G80 in a peacock case with Miami caps
Like two or three pokers, one in a Lego case, one is a oneproduct bent aluminum case
Hall effect numpad
Four ibm selectrics
F660c
Ortek with white alps
Possibly more...

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:55:44 »

Hhkb
Hhkb with 30g silent
JiS anniversary topre
Topre short throw
LZ GH
Duck v2 with blue alps
Ducky year of the rabbit
Model f 122
Sgi granite
Like two or three pokers, one in a Lego case, one is a oneproduct bent aluminum case
Hall effect numpad
Four ibm selectrics
F660c
Ortek with white alps
Possibly more...

Wow...that's a lot! You should have brought some dude! What colours are your HHKB's? Maybe I should get one...should I get it from EK?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:00:57 »

Hhkb
Hhkb with 30g silent
JiS anniversary topre
Topre short throw
LZ GH
Duck v2 with blue alps
Ducky year of the rabbit
Model f 122
Sgi granite
Hall effect numpad
Four ibm selectrics
F660c
Ortek with white alps
Possibly more...

Wow...that's a lot! You should have brought some dude! What colours are your HHKB's? Maybe I should get one...should I get it from EK?

I got my first blank white/grey from Japan when the yen was low. Here's a potato of how it looks now, all symmetrical n stuff.

The 30g is an old pro 1 in black printed I got on yahoo auctions cheap. Then modded with the jis 10th ann. I think I'm modding back cause 30g hhkb is not my fav but I like it in realforce boards.

EK is a safe bet if you're looking for new. Or if used you could get a good deal on GH.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 15:25:23 »
Those clacks though...<3.

Thanks man, I may end up picking one of these topre boards!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #360 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 16:25:11 »

Hhkb
Hhkb with 30g silent
JiS anniversary topre
Topre short throw
LZ GH
Duck v2 with blue alps
Ducky year of the rabbit
Model f 122
Sgi granite
Hall effect numpad
Four ibm selectrics
F660c
Ortek with white alps
Possibly more...

I got my first blank white/grey from Japan when the yen was low. Here's a potato of how it looks now, all symmetrical n stuff.

The 30g is an old pro 1 in black printed I got on yahoo auctions cheap. Then modded with the jis 10th ann. I think I'm modding back cause 30g hhkb is not my fav but I like it in realforce boards.

EK is a safe bet if you're looking for new. Or if used you could get a good deal on GH.

disgusting
I love Elzy

Offline Hyde

« Reply #361 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 10:21:49 »

Hhkb
Hhkb with 30g silent
JiS anniversary topre
Topre short throw
LZ GH
Duck v2 with blue alps
Ducky year of the rabbit
Model f 122
Sgi granite
Hall effect numpad
Four ibm selectrics
F660c
Ortek with white alps
Possibly more...

disgusting

lol too crazy.

On another note, I'll probably send out another mass pm some point this weekend (too lazy at the moment) to see if anyone's interested on the "call me any time to chill" bandwagon.

Then we'll go from there.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline divito

« Reply #362 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:22:53 »
Kinda upset but I ended up having a ball hockey tournament in St. Catharines so I was unable to go. Looks like it was a lot of fun and not impressed that I missed out. Hopefully more things can happen in the near future.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #363 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 21:14:18 »
Kinda upset but I ended up having a ball hockey tournament in St. Catharines so I was unable to go. Looks like it was a lot of fun and not impressed that I missed out. Hopefully more things can happen in the near future.

so ****ing Canadian
I love Elzy

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #364 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 22:16:06 »
Last bump of this post, I promise. ;)

At the meetup I mentioned I make soft cover cases for $30 USD + shipping! (Edit: I realized it doesn't make sense for me to quote the price in USD to most of you because this was a Toronto meet up, let's go with an even $38CAD as the price). They're all custom and handmade. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can work something out.

What I need from you in the PM: what size keyboard, if you want a pocket, and what colours/styles you like. I try to only make 1 or 2 of each case fabric so that they're unique.

Sifo's case:

More case photos: http://imgur.com/a/FOxfE

Send me a PM if you're interested! :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:30:17 by retainerbox »

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline Hyde

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 10:35:32 »
Ohhhh nice cases !  Haha unfortunately I'm too poor now saving money for Taiwan/Japan trip.

Also I just finished engagement ceremony this past weekend finally have some time to do the "trade phone number so we can hang out" thing.

I'll send a PM out later to see who's interested.  :D

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 19:28:54 »
@retainerbox - I just sent you a PM. I ordered a b.mini and Dreamre is helping me build it right now as I'm typing on my laptop.. so excited! Will definitely reach out to you once it's all done and ready to have a new home ^__^

@Hyde - Thanks again for being the official social organizer :3!

On that happy note, Dreamre and I have blogged about the Geekhack community, more specifically the Matias meetup. You can read more about it here: http://worthylist.com/portfolio/geekhack-toronto-meetup-july-11-2015/! We took some more photos (also credits to Hyde for letting us include some of his photos ^^) and included it on our post as well so definitely recommend checking it out :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 19:29:30 »
Did you forget a link kelbear? :(

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 19:30:45 »
Did you forget a link kelbear? :(

WHOA you're fast LOL I just modified the post...

You, sir, are a fast one! :o
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 August 2015, 21:04:18 by kelbear »

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 23:51:04 »
Hi everyone, I'm new! I'm not a gamer and only use keyboards for typing... hope I'm still welcome here lol.

I just discovered this site, which unfortunately means I missed the meetup. Does anyone know where I can try out various switches in/near Toronto? Specifically I would like to try Topre, Matias, and Cherry MX Clear (and variants like Ergo Clear).

I have already tried the following Cherry switches:
Blue - These probably had the best feel of the ones I've tried, but I'd prefer a little more resistance at the tactile point, without increasing the spring stiffness. Also a little too loud for the office.
Green - OK tactility (could still be better), but spring a little too stiff for prolonged typing. Ditto for noise.
Brown - Can barely feel the tactile point at all. It just feels like a less smooth linear switch to me.
Black/Red - I need tactility, so I hate linear switches.

Honestly, still I prefer the best rubber dome keyboards (Thermaltake esports Commander, Cooler Master Storm Devastator, Logitech PerfectStroke) to any of the above mechanical switches I've tried, durability issues notwithstanding. I'm thinking I would like Matias though - I just need my fingers to verify before I buy. I'm assuming I can't just show up at the Matias warehouse lol. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 11:16:22 »
Hi everyone, I'm new! I'm not a gamer and only use keyboards for typing... hope I'm still welcome here lol.

I just discovered this site, which unfortunately means I missed the meetup. Does anyone know where I can try out various switches in/near Toronto? Specifically I would like to try Topre, Matias, and Cherry MX Clear (and variants like Ergo Clear).

I have already tried the following Cherry switches:
Blue - These probably had the best feel of the ones I've tried, but I'd prefer a little more resistance at the tactile point, without increasing the spring stiffness. Also a little too loud for the office.
Green - OK tactility (could still be better), but spring a little too stiff for prolonged typing. Ditto for noise.
Brown - Can barely feel the tactile point at all. It just feels like a less smooth linear switch to me.
Black/Red - I need tactility, so I hate linear switches.

Honestly, still I prefer the best rubber dome keyboards (Thermaltake esports Commander, Cooler Master Storm Devastator, Logitech PerfectStroke) to any of the above mechanical switches I've tried, durability issues notwithstanding. I'm thinking I would like Matias though - I just need my fingers to verify before I buy. I'm assuming I can't just show up at the Matias warehouse lol. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you want to try out some of the available Matias options, contact us to arrange a time to drop by...  :-)

http://matias.ca/contact

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 12:18:02 »

If you want to try out some of the available Matias options, contact us to arrange a time to drop by...  :-)

http://matias.ca/contact

That is awesome! Thanks, I will definitely give you guys a shout.

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:18:57 »
Any chance of a round 3 this winter?
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 14:39:39 »

lol if there is I say we hold it somewhere closer to public transit, if the snow is as bad as it was last year T_T

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #374 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:14:44 »

lol if there is I say we hold it somewhere closer to public transit, if the snow is as bad as it was last year T_T

Core downtown would definitely be better, especially for me since I'm from London and take a greyhound to get to Toronto
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:15:45 »
except core downtown is literally the worst for everyone actually living in toronto
I love Elzy

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:19:18 »
except core downtown is literally the worst for everyone actually living in toronto

And that's the issue, haha.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 17:37:11 »
Yorkdale or Square One. Those are close to sane public transit areas.

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:09:09 »

I didn't even know there was a round 2!

Unless it's right near a subway station. Parking is always a nightmare downtown but I'd be more than happy to leave the car at home if it's easily accessible by subway, especially if the weather is bad.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:17:34 »
Just come north, hehe

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:21:08 »
Just come north, hehe
How north are we talking?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:31:29 »

Just come north, hehe

Farther north than you city folk travel lol

Offline blueangel2323

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:40:36 »

Just come north, hehe

You mean north of Bloor, aka Timbuktu? :p

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #383 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 18:44:50 »

Just come north, hehe

You mean north of Bloor, aka Timbuktu? :p

Slightly further, yup!

Offline divito

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 15:04:19 »
Come to Barrie!
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:32:47 »
NECRRROOO.

I'll have to keep an eye out for future meetups. Matias is 5 minutes from me.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL