Author Topic: ERGODOX LeftHand Woes  (Read 1249 times)

Offline des_illacom

ERGODOX LeftHand Woes
« on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 00:19:42 »
Hi guys, was building my second ergodox , full hand this time and ran into something i cannot seem to figure out. Left side is not working at all, here is what i checked:
1.all smd's are mounted correctly, vertical white stripe is on the square pad side
2.all keys tested with multimeter
3.trrs cable is not faulty and if i plug in my first lefthand side ergodox, it works, so it seems like there is enough juice running from the right side to the left
4.io expander is mounted correctly

So I'm thinking it's either the trrs connector on the left side or the io expander is fried or something, i don't have an oscilloscope to test , I'm attaching pictures, maybe i missed something any suggestions are appreciated, I have been staring at the old left hand build and the new left hand build and for the life of me i cannot see any differences ...

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
Re: ERGODOX LeftHand Woes
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 13:21:04 »
It may be a long shot but your solder joints doesn't look perfect, especially not on one of the jumpers by the TRRS. i would try re-flowing them with some flux.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:24:14 »
It may be a long shot but your solder joints doesn't look perfect, especially not on one of the jumpers by the TRRS. i would try re-flowing them with some flux.

Agreed, the lower joint on the far left of the second picture doesn't even look like it's connected to the pad.

Also using flux and reflowing the joints on the io expander wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:26:58 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 23:34:55 »
I second this, reflow the expander and the TRRS with the jumpers. I don't think you are heating up the pads so you have quite a few cold joints. Also make sure the expander is orientated the correct way.