Author Topic: I need some guidance...  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Valerie

I need some guidance...
« on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:48:08 »
Hello, i am new to geekhack so i apologize for any errors that i make. My keyboard collection is:
Filco tenkeyless blue switch and brown switch
HHKB Lite in black and white
HHKB Pro in black and white (with the letters)
Das
Unicomp space saver (with the clicky keys of course)
I love all of these keyboards and they all help me type fast. However, i was wondering if there is a big difference between the HHKB Pro and the Realforce keyboards. They sound the same and i think they are made by the same company. Also, for those of you that prefer the brown switch over the blue one, please tell me why. I know the blue switch is clickier but do you feel that your fingers have to use less pressure to push on a brown key than a blue one? Thank you and i am glad to finally be a part of this forum. I thought i was the only one who had a keyboard fetish.

Offline wellington1869

I need some guidance...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:49:43 »
welcome valerie. I guess i'll be the first to tell you, this shouldnt be posted in keyboard reviews section :)  Maybe we can get imav to move it or something.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

I need some guidance...
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:52:12 »
you've come to the right place for keyboard fetishes, as some of our members are known to have had sex with their keyboards.

browns are lighter than blues, its not your imagination, its been measured :)

realforce and hhkb are similar but slightly different in sound. Also I think there are slight key-weighting differences from model to model. these differences have been brought up before by folks who tried or owned both. you can prolly search the forum for it (or they'll show up on this thread sooner or later).

nice collection of keyboards you got there!

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline rdjack21

I need some guidance...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 22:53:28 »
welcome to geekhack!

First off excuse my in ability to provide links to the exact theads for what I discuss below. I'm on the road and typing this on my N810 which is not the best thing for typing this sort of message.

To help you understand the differance between the HHKB Pro and a Realforce board take a look at the HHKB exposed thread in the mods section. Also take a look at article linked to from there as well. For a good overview of the Topre switch take a look at the Topre/Realforce wiki page. I could add allot more but typing on this very little keyboard is a pain. If you still have questions after reading those theads ask.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]