Author Topic: Well F*** me ... Granite DSA back up on MassDrop  (Read 7097 times)

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
Re: Well F*** me ... Granite DSA back up on MassDrop
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:43:14 »
It's been up for less than 1/2 a day and it's already at 630 purchases. Wow!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 10:44:41 »

Retailer must have placed an order for 600 kits.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:05:19 »
Well, now it's already at "761 purchased".  Maybe it's organic.  Crazy

Offline Alpsie

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:06:21 »
13$ for an ISO enter  :eek:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:12:26 »
13$ for an ISO enter  :eek:

That's the ISO curse.  Small batches.  At least you get two of them.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:38:31 »

If it was like the last buy that number is inflated a bit as they track it per individual subset, not order. Basically everyone purchases 2-3 "orders"
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:45:11 »
Would it be overkill to put these on a lolita that I only use for gaming?  >_>  It's my favorite looking set and I'd love to try DSA, but the lolita is the only cherry keyboard I still use.  Dammit, now this is making me consider dropping my HHKB for a novatouch, or just buying a nova to harvest.  But all that money...

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:50:48 »
Would it be overkill to put these on a lolita that I only use for gaming?  >_>  It's my favorite looking set and I'd love to try DSA, but the lolita is the only cherry keyboard I still use.  Dammit, now this is making me consider dropping my HHKB for a novatouch, or just buying a nova to harvest.  But all that money...
If you like the keys on the HHKB (hard not to) then you'll might not enjoy DSA (I personally hated DSA).

The selling point of this set (in my opinion) is the timeless color scheme and the fact that you can get enough keys to fit virtually any key layout for about 150 dollars + shipping.
null

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:38:03 »
1498 purchased on day one - wtf

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:42:10 »

I think I remember someone saying that each kit counts as one purchase

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:45:45 »

I think I remember someone saying that each kit counts as one purchase

Yes, this is true.  If everyone averages 5 kits, and I think that's a conservative number, then the participant count would be 1500/5 = 300.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:54:13 »
I'm surprised SP hasn't made a deal with matt3o to produce these as a regular stock item.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:22:34 »
I'm surprised SP hasn't made a deal with matt3o to produce these as a regular stock item.

^

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 19:33:14 »
Granite isn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad people are getting another chance. Looks like they're definitely taking advantage!
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 20:26:29 »
when you have to make 2 purchases to by one set of keys for a 60% the price doesn't seem all that exciting.
If they were cheap like potatoes I might buy a set but they aren't.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 20:48:52 »
If it is like last time, the number purchased is by set - not people. Therefore each person could easily add many to the count.

I really, really, wish they added a 1.75u Escape to replace capslock (great for vim), 1.5 Super (for HHKB layout, ex: infinity), and some hyper keys to fill in the extra mods. Ohh well.

Right now I am using the geekhack key on the function button, Fn on caps, and Super/alt swapped. Not perfect but it looks good and is as close as I can get to their true functions.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 20:54:40 by Smasher816 »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 22:00:00 »
Thought I'll get a couple of sets with some extras to fill out the smaller, weirdo layouts on some keyboards.

Some keys are dirt cheap, but I know they're nothing like GMK or BSP in quality, hence you take the risk in buying these.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:25:23 »
Thought I'll get a couple of sets with some extras to fill out the smaller, weirdo layouts on some keyboards.

Some keys are dirt cheap, but I know they're nothing like GMK or BSP in quality, hence you take the risk in buying these.

What's the risk?

Offline Vanilla

• 110% Snuggable
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 00:47:45 »
Augh not this set again... too much granite.... can't handle seeing pics of more boards with the set... anymore. Please... stahp.

FWIW, in my defense, I was part of the OG group buy on PMK.  :-*

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 03:55:28 »
FWIW, in my defense, I was part of the OG group buy on PMK.  :-*

I was in the original BUT I returned mine due to severe quality issues affecting their usage, hence I hope they (SP) have finally corrected their Granite Series already.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 05:15:37 »
At least they asked matt3o before they did the drop this time.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 06:45:19 »
Rolling up on 3k with 14 days to go...

Offline lolpes

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 16:02:39 »
hey guys, sorry if it seems an innapropriate question, but i'm currently trying to decide between the granite set and the vortex doubleshot pom set, both currently available on MD, and i cannot decide which one to get :| The build i will be doing is with a Face-u replica board, so 60%, and an acrilyc case built by me, and for backlighting i would be using blue LEDs, can you help me decide? :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 03:19:49 »
hey guys, sorry if it seems an innapropriate question, but i'm currently trying to decide between the granite set and the vortex doubleshot pom set, both currently available on MD, and i cannot decide which one to get :| The build i will be doing is with a Face-u replica board, so 60%, and an acrilyc case built by me, and for backlighting i would be using blue LEDs, can you help me decide? :)

You won't get much light shining through the Granite keycaps - they are fairly thick PBT.

Also the profile is quite different - if you like flat profile (all the keys the same height), then Granite DSA.  Otherwise the Vortex are probably OEM profile.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 04:59:16 »

Signature Plastics isn’t business-minded. They are careless in every sense ... remember their bad quality control.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 05:11:28 »
They did fix the legends, so they should be right to make more sets now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:29:08 »
I've wanted this set for my Poker for a while...the real kicker is wanting that Bonus Pack to come back again (yellow Super key though...). Oh well. Won't be taking pictures since the internet has enough granite photos  :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 10:39:54 »
They did fix the legends, so they should be right to make more sets now.

If I remember well the the warping was the worst quality issue in the first run; but, I have not have recollection if it was totally fixed.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 14:55:29 »
Is it me or does this group buy on Massdrop look strange?  There is a discount on the common set, but there is no discount on any other set.  I don't see any price drop for  the Modifier Keys set.  It is $26.99 no matter what. 

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 15:19:16 »
Is it me or does this group buy on Massdrop look strange?  There is a discount on the common set, but there is no discount on any other set.  I don't see any price drop for  the Modifier Keys set.  It is $26.99 no matter what.

I think MD is just making a (safe) assumption that the lowest price tier will be hit by listing those prices in the description. If you go to actually place an order the dollar value is based on the cost of the common set. So, if you want a number pad set, for example, it is shown as -$15 off the common set price, not $14.99. That would mean that if the common set was $35.00, the numpad kit would be $20.00. But since it has hit the lowest tier the pricing is accurate in the description. I'm totally guessing, but that seems to make sense. Listing everything in the description as -$14.00 (or whatever) off the Common Kit just seems necessarily confusing.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around