Author Topic: Ergodox Question - Using a Mini B plug instead of cannibalizing a USB cable  (Read 1350 times)

Offline rand77

I'm building an ErgoDox and need I need to bridge the Teensy to mini USB port.  The instructions call for stripping an existing USB cable to make the connection.   However, I don't have a rotary tool, so I anticipate that it would be difficult for me to cut through hard plastic to get at the mini USB connector.

I do have several of these on hand:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Hirose%20PDFs/UX%20Series.pdf

I need to know how to solder the wires to the "side facing the cable".  Based on the diagram in first page on the datasheet, is pin 1 the leftmost contact?

Because if this is the case, the pinout is reversed from the "output" side.   Can someone clarify?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Pin 1 is on the left when you look into the end that goes into the PCB socket with the wide side of the cable connector facing down.

The connector you linked has the solder points on the back, so it's still the left side when soldering because it's upside down and you're looking from behind. This should make it "easy" but different connectors are different so I always doubt it too, better to check than fry something!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rand77

Pin 1 is on the left when you look into the end that goes into the PCB socket with the wide side of the cable connector facing down.

The connector you linked has the solder points on the back, so it's still the left side when soldering because it's upside down and you're looking from behind. This should make it "easy" but different connectors are different so I always doubt it too, better to check than fry something!

Thanks for the clarification, I just wanted to be sure before soldering.  Worst case I can always re-solder again if it doesn't work out :)