Author Topic: Hey, from Australia!  (Read 3571 times)

Offline bamtan

• hi there
Hey, from Australia!
« on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 09:14:36 »
Hello everyone!

I usually browse /r/mechanicalkeyboards but decided on moving onto Geekhack because I am wanting to trade my Ducky Shine 3.

There are some delicious keyboards here, I think I'll enjoy my stay  :p

Offline Cottonsox

Re: Hey, from Australia!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 09:17:47 »
Hi Bamtan

Welcome! !

Another convict,  shine 3 is a good board, i still have my shine 2.

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 10:14:23 »
Yes it is! But I've fallen for the Leopold FC660M, the full size keyboard is too much for me, and I would love to have a 60% or less for easy handling  :D
I need to gain 25 posts to post onto classifieds ;_; how do i dis

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 00:00:19 »
Hello and welcome to GH!

I think you should enjoy your stay here more so than reddit. There's many things going on here and many things and people to learn from.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. :thumb:

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 01:13:05 »
Hello and welcome to GH!

I think you should enjoy your stay here more so than reddit. There's many things going on here and many things and people to learn from.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up. :thumb:

Thank you :D

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 02:44:27 »
LOUiS59, I presume?

Good to have another aussie around here. Welcome.

If you're anything like me, your 25 posts will come a lot sooner than the time restriction (What is it, 2 months?). I think I can post there now, but I haven't tried.

So, being a Topre fanatic, I have to ask: Have you looked into the FC660C? As far as I can tell, the only difference between that and the FC660M is Cherry vs Topre. I've been thinking about trying to find one of them. I have no idea why; I don't need any more keyboards.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 02:50:03 »
Welcome mate!
bring some vegemite and some toast, you gonna love it here :)
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 04:14:03 »
Welcome mate, please leave the Vegemite at the door :P

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:29:55 »
LOUiS59, I presume?

Good to have another aussie around here. Welcome.

If you're anything like me, your 25 posts will come a lot sooner than the time restriction (What is it, 2 months?). I think I can post there now, but I haven't tried.

So, being a Topre fanatic, I have to ask: Have you looked into the FC660C? As far as I can tell, the only difference between that and the FC660M is Cherry vs Topre. I've been thinking about trying to find one of them. I have no idea why; I don't need any more keyboards.

Yep thats me!
I've actually created this account a while back last year, so I've already past the time restriction :P, didn't start browsing until I actually wanted to try and trade my keyboard. Its scary to start new threads to those with over 2000 posts...

I've actually tried Topre switches while I was in Akihabara, Japan (HHKB's are awesome), but I dont feel anything special with them.. I've owned Red's and Blue's, now wanting to move onto Brown's!

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:41:57 »
Good luck with your search.

I've only tried browns, but I would like to get my hands on the other switch types, even if it's mostly just so I can understand the fuss. I've been rotating between BS and Topre for a while, but just got my first PBT set for Cherry and it transformed my Das from a really terrible-feeling board to one that feels alright. Typing on it right now. The caps are white, though, so there's a lot of contrast.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 05:59:16 »
Good luck with your search.

I've only tried browns, but I would like to get my hands on the other switch types, even if it's mostly just so I can understand the fuss. I've been rotating between BS and Topre for a while, but just got my first PBT set for Cherry and it transformed my Das from a really terrible-feeling board to one that feels alright. Typing on it right now. The caps are white, though, so there's a lot of contrast.

Ah, DAS keyboard. Nice choice! The white keys on the black board look really nice. Opposite to my Ducky Shine 3.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 06:10:41 »
I used to consider the Das the worst board in my possession, but then I picked up a few Alps keyboards. My experience with Alps so far has not been positive (linear Alps seem alright).

Then again, I started with a Model M and almost immediately ventured into Topre territory, so I haven't given Cherry a fair chance yet. In the near future, though, it will have to take a backseat to the capacitive BS board I bought recently. I hope the hype is warranted on those boards, and I hope even more that I don't ruin the board with the modifications I intend to make.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 01:41:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Who has over 2000 posts? ;)  Just make sure you peruse the classifieds rules and make sure you post the proof of ownership pic and you'll be right.

We need a few more Aussie trades around here, it's sufficiently difficult to get most keyboard stuff that people tend to hang on to it.  I know I do :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 05:08:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Who has over 2000 posts? ;)  Just make sure you peruse the classifieds rules and make sure you post the proof of ownership pic and you'll be right.

We need a few more Aussie trades around here, it's sufficiently difficult to get most keyboard stuff that people tend to hang on to it.  I know I do :))

Thanks :) I've got the photos ready to post, and I've bookmarked the guide  :thumb:
Postage cost a lot for us Aussies  :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 05:21:47 »
Postage into and out of Australia can get silly (I had two SSKs shipped here recently, although the postage for each one was a bit less than I'd expected).

My first modern mech was a Ducky Shine from PCCG about 3 years ago, cost $17 to get shipped IIRC.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 05:49:07 »
Where did you get your SSKs from? They seem pretty hard to find at a reasonable price.
Typing speed:
More

My collection:
More

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 05:54:57 »
Postage into and out of Australia can get silly (I had two SSKs shipped here recently, although the postage for each one was a bit less than I'd expected).

My first modern mech was a Ducky Shine from PCCG about 3 years ago, cost $17 to get shipped IIRC.

Ah PCCG, ordered sleeved cables off them, had to go to the airport to pick the package up  :-/ but also ordered my Ducky Shine 3 from them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:32:51 »

Ah PCCG, ordered sleeved cables off them, had to go to the airport to pick the package up  :-/ but also ordered my Ducky Shine 3 from them.

I used to live within cooee of them where they are in Springvale, but it was still easier to get stuff shipped.

Actually their Ducky range has increased recently, although they don't stock RealForce any more.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:37:56 »

I used to live within cooee of them where they are in Springvale, but it was still easier to get stuff shipped.

Actually their Ducky range has increased recently, although they don't stock RealForce any more.

I remember PCCG was really focused on modding supplies etc. about 10 years ago, they dont have much in that way any more but I get pretty much all my PC stuff from them and I am in NSW

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:52:09 »

I remember PCCG was really focused on modding supplies etc. about 10 years ago, they dont have much in that way any more but I get pretty much all my PC stuff from them and I am in NSW

The first thing I got from PCCG was my first Ducky Shine!  Before that I used to shop at Computer World in Dandenong, before they went all corporate.

I guess less people are building computers these days, and more are buying pre-built machines and trendy peripherals.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:21:31 »

The first thing I got from PCCG was my first Ducky Shine!  Before that I used to shop at Computer World in Dandenong, before they went all corporate.

I guess less people are building computers these days, and more are buying pre-built machines and trendy peripherals.

Yes probably why they are soo big now, got to move with the times. I still think those biege cases with the home cut holes and molding and a few neon lights looked awesome. I don't really like that stuff anymore especially when everything looks like it was meant to be that way.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:23:03 »
Always good to see more Aussies joining, especially when they're from WA! Welcome :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 06:58:47 »
Always good to see more Aussies joining, especially when they're from WA! Welcome :)

Cheers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 05:38:22 »

Big place, WA.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 06:27:30 »

Big place, WA.
Oh yeah. South of Perth is quite nice but the further north you travel the more you realise how barren Australia is. Very nice coastline though.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 22:41:12 »

Big place, WA.
Oh yeah. South of Perth is quite nice but the further north you travel the more you realise how barren Australia is. Very nice coastline though.

I've only been in the vicinity of Garden Island.