Author Topic: Ergodox first Keyboard project, left hand not working  (Read 1435 times)

Offline atlee

Ergodox first Keyboard project, left hand not working
« on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 23:51:04 »
Hi guys,

first of all thanks for all the helpful info on this topic already on this forum.  It has given me troubleshooting ideas that I would not have come up with otherwise.  I have finished soldering my Ergodox, but upon trying it out I have found that my left hand doesn't work.  By that I mean that if I just plug in the right hand of the keyboard, I am able to type any character on that side of the board, but as soon as I connect the TRRS connecter to join the two sides, the computer no longer recognizes the board as a usb device, and it therefore won't read keystrokes from either hand. 

I would like to take existing advice on this topic from other posts and apply it to my situation, but my problem is I don't know how to execute many of the troubleshooting techniques that others have suggested on here.  For instance, in this post (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55947.0) he says that he used a multimeter in order to verify the left hand is getting 5V.  I have next to no experience with using a multimeter, and so I was unable to figure out how to measure that with the one I have.

The things I do feel confident about are
  1. my IO Expander is on the correct direction (my friend who I was working with put his on backwards, and he had to reverse it to make his keyboard work)
  2. my diodes are all working (giving a reading of ~.6 on the multimeter) and placed in the correct direction (I checked 1000 times)
  3. my jump cables next to the TRRS connecter are on the right pair of holes.

I would appreciate any step by step instructions (like I'm a 4 year old) of how to measure anything related to the IO Expander or TRRS connectors using a multimeter (the only thing I have to measure with).  I believe the problem lies with one of those two things, but I'm new to this so I could be completely wrong.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Offline jacobolus

Re: Ergodox first Keyboard project, left hand not working
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 23:57:16 »
Welcome to geekhack!

You need to connect the two halves together first, before plugging into the computer. Also, if you keep having trouble and don’t get sufficient response in this thread, try putting your question in the Ergodox thread; it might get more replies there.

Offline atlee

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 00:03:45 »
Thanks for the quick reply and for the warm welcome to geekhack.  I have tried with the two halves connected prior to plugging it in, I see the behavior I described above, where no keystroke is recognized.  Unplugging the ergodox from the PC, disconnecting the TRRS connector, then plugging the right half back in still lets me enter using that hand.

Also thanks for the suggestion about the Ergodox thread, I will try that one out if I don't get interest here.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 23:22:14 »
Maybe try posting front and back pics of the pcb for left and right hand.