Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1223 times)

Offline rawkus

Greetings!
« on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:06:18 »
Hello GH,

Been lurking here for a few weeks, finally got my first mechanical keyboard.  White case ducky shine 4 with mx browns.

My first impression of mechanical keyboards, my typing stroke is too damn hard.  These mx browns feel like nothing and my key presses can wake the dead!  However, switching to this from a cheap rubber dome keyboard, my typing has improved a lot.  Prior to getting this keyboard, I tested my WPM and accuracy on 10fastfingers.com, and after going to the mx browns, my WPM went up to 110 on average, with a 99% accuracy rate, as opposed to 95 WMP with 95% accuracy with a Saitek Eclipse II.

I understand now the addiction of mechanical keyboards.  Now I want to find the best keyboard to type on, never thought it would be a concern of mine...

Time for some cool keycaps!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:12:51 »
Now I want to find the best keyboard to type on, never thought it would be a concern of mine...

Simple enough.  Some folks are still looking...  It might take a while.  Plenty of choices out there.  Hold your wallet tight!

Offline rawkus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:16:43 »
I've already spent so much time reading here...and I'm about a 20 minute drive from EK's showroom...

Should I just make the switch to topre now?  :eek:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 20:28:57 »
I'm about a 20 minute drive from EK's showroom...

:eek:

It's definitely worth a trip out there. You should be able to try out the switches for yourself. Plus, the owner seems like a super cool and knowledgeable guy.

If you like to live life on the edge and want to impulse buy, try to find a 45g Topre board. I jumped on the 55g Realforce not knowing what to expect (I am a fan of heavier MX switches like Greens/Clears/Blacks and Buckling Spring) but it's amazing.

And welcome!  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:38:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

+1 for visiting EK showroom if you can - meet the guy/s, get to try a bunch of keyboard, and have a whole lot of questions answered :)

But make sure you take lots of money with you, or your credit card - I suspect the temptation to buy something might prove too strong.

If you find the browns too soft, you could try MX clears next.  And/or try O-rings to dampen the bottom out sound a little.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with bottoming out - I do it all the time ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rawkus

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 10:47:21 »
Thanks for the welcomes all.  I've been looking a lot into the HHKB's, I've been considering the switch to a compact keyboard, as I've used full sized my whole life.  It's just too bad the silenced pro 2 does not come in black.

I'm planning on going to EK's showroom tomorrow...I might just take the leap straight to a topre board instead of going through mx switches.  I like rubber dome keyboards, and if they do feel like a hybrid from what I've read, I'm very interested to try it out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 05:52:48 »
Thanks for the welcomes all.  I've been looking a lot into the HHKB's, I've been considering the switch to a compact keyboard, as I've used full sized my whole life.  It's just too bad the silenced pro 2 does not come in black.

I'm planning on going to EK's showroom tomorrow...I might just take the leap straight to a topre board instead of going through mx switches.  I like rubber dome keyboards, and if they do feel like a hybrid from what I've read, I'm very interested to try it out.

Let us know what you decide :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ