Author Topic: Making My Own Keycaps with Injection Moulding  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Orphan Zombie Children

Making My Own Keycaps with Injection Moulding
« on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 20:59:11 »
Techshop has a Morgan injection molding machine. I thought it would be fun to try to create some keycaps using it. I don't have any experience with this kind of thing; anyone here know if this machine would be viable for making keycaps with? Any advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated!

Offline __red__

Re: Making My Own Keycaps with Injection Moulding
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 08:19:32 »
It's definately viable, you need to look at mold creation.

Given the high cost of tooling (tens of thousands) for normal injection molding I would suggest you start looking at epoxy-based tools methods.  It's  probably set you back a couple of hundred dollars in materials which you can use to make the few few molds with.

The difference is that you'll only be able to make a few hundred or a thousand caps before your mold starts to fail verses hundreds of thousands or millions.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 14:59:47 »
I mean caps from SP and Cherry are injection molded. That's how doubleshot caps are made.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:51:12 »
A simple mold will still set you back at least $5000. At these small numbers it just doesn't make much sense.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 15:53:15 »
A simple mold will still set you back at least $5000. At these small numbers it just doesn't make much sense.

Well...only if that mold was used in a production machine. This is a machine specifically built for low runs and rapid prototyping. Probably easier to make the molds. And I'm assuming if it's at a maker space, you'll be able to make the mold and save on costs there.

Offline Orphan Zombie Children

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 16:11:22 »
The cost of the mold is a valid point that I hadn't given consideration to. After doing some research, it looks like the Morgan press will probably require aluminum molds to be made - albeit that can probably be done in-house at the maker space as well.

It looks like double shot keys require a special injection machine, so that is also not possible with the Morgan press.

Offline Frogbot

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 22:07:59 »
I've been looking at getting into injection moulding.

If you want to do it yourself, I think a good place to start could be learning how to uses CNC router/mill to create the tools for injection moulding.

I'm probably going to go this way once I've done more research... I'll probably also need to learn solidworks...

I have no idea which CNC to get yet tho. There's some cheap ones on ebay but not sure if they could do aluminium.

It looks like it would be a lot of work to a final product but it could be worth it in the long run.

Offline __red__

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 07:02:42 »
You only need to CNC molds if you're doing large quantities of injection molded parts.  If you're doing lower quantities / prototyping you can make epoxy injection molds.