Author Topic: A different layout in a Japanese Keyboard  (Read 2025 times)

Offline rdjack21

A different layout in a Japanese Keyboard
« on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 22:47:58 »
While browsing around ShopU I ran across this Japanese keyboard with a different layout than I had seen before. So thought I would share.

What makes it different other than the keys being lined up is that they have added a row of keys between the alpha rows and the space bar row. I actually think that is a great Idea. When I first saw this board the first thing I did is lay my hand down on my current keyboard and noticed that the natural position of my thumbs would be right where they have moved the space bar one row down so instead of moving my thumbs up to hit the space bar they would already be in the right position.

Also some other information on the board 1) brown cherry switches 2) The darn board is the same price as a Topre.

Picture:

Where I found it for more pictures and information ShopU

Manufacture ttools

Any thoughts on this layout in particular moving the space bar down a row.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 22:58:31 »
Found the keymap for this board as well. Take a look:

After looking at that I'm not sure I like the placement of the shift keys. I do like the fact that they have moved the enter key in one key compared to other Japanese layouts that puts it where I'm used to hitting it.

If it is not obvious the outlined part is a integrated number pad.

Wonder what that FN key is for. I really think this board is really aimed at the Japanese typer but still look at all those extra keys and image what you could do with them. I have to think about this one some more.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 22:59:33 »
Extra row & keys: good.
Moving down space: good.
Fn key doesn't steal Ctrl key position: good.

Moving down shift keys: not good!

Also grid layout is noteworthy, and sublect to personal taste.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:01:37 by Rajagra »

Offline ohdh2003

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:13:52 »
Japanese alphabet is called kana (it means letter). Because kana is not separate consonet and vowel, it needs little more characters. For example, a, i, u, e, o are placed left most column in the keyboard, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko were placed next column of a-i-u-e-o. the next next column is sa-shi-su-se-so, ans so forth. In the school of Japan, 50 sound table was taught. The very keyboard has the same arrangement of that table. I think it has no more meaning, in the sense of ergonomics.
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver! [Proverbs 16:16]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:15:37 »
I'm thinking that some key rearrangement just might make this a really nice keyboard.

Pretty much move all the bottom row keys except the space bar up a row so they are easer to hit with your pinky. Also move the shift keys up a row left shift goes to caps Lock and right shift goes to ] Ctrl goes to tab. Any ways just thinking..

I've also seen another board that moved the space bar down a row but did not move the rest of the keys. In place of the space bar they put the language shift keys (big ones). Now where did I see that one at...
Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:20:48 »
Quote from: ohdh2003;116869
Japanese alphabet is called kana (it means letter). Because kana is not separate consonet and vowel, it needs little more characters. For example, a, i, u, e, o are placed left most column in the keyboard, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko were placed next column of a-i-u-e-o. the next next column is sa-shi-su-se-so, ans so forth. In the school of Japan, 50 sound table was taught. The very keyboard has the same arrangement of that table. I think it has no more meaning, in the sense of ergonomics.

Very interesting thanks for the information. Is this particular layout common? I just think moving the space bar down a row may actually be a good idea for English keyboards. Hmm I may actually be able to simulate this layout but it would mean giving up function keys to do it. Hmm....
Keyboards

Offline ohdh2003

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:31:36 »
Quote from: rdjack21;116873
Is this particular layout common?

nope
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver! [Proverbs 16:16]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:53:25 »
Yea that is one of the reasons I'm thinking of playing with the layout a bit first by emulating it. Really the only part that I like about it is moving the space bar down one row. I think I'm going to put that on my project list along with a bunch of other stuff I've got going right now. Also I think I would have to do it on one of my tenkeyless boards. Don't think I want to try it on my Japanese board.

I also agree if it isn't common their may be a reason for it, like no one likes the layout because they moved to many of the control keys like the shift keys.
Keyboards

Offline JBert

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 02:17:45 »
This is terrible from an ergonomics point of view. Matrix layouts might work for the typematrix because they stuffed a few big keys in the middle, on this small 'board you'd probably have to stress your wrists too much.

I wouldn't use it for English. If you can get it cheap somewhere, cut it in two and you might have an ergonomical sound keyboard if you can remap the shift keys.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 02:27:21 »
For a multi-row non-staggered layout one of the programmable POS 'boards might be better, like this one with Cherry switches:

http://www.tysso.org/programmable_keyboard/programmable_keyboard.html

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today