Author Topic: Gateway 2000 Double shot key caps  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
Gateway 2000 Double shot key caps
« on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 22:54:33 »
I ran across one of the AnyKey Gateway 2000 boards today at a Goodwill in St. Paul MN.  They wanted $5 for it.  (No I did not buy it.)

I did pop a couple of keys of it to see what kind it was. (Rubber dome).  The thing that surprised me was that the keys attached in a cross pattern like the Cherry switches and keys.

But the real kicker was that the keys where all double shot!!  (you listening ripster?)
I wonder if these would fit on a Cherry board or a Filco.  They may be nice for a dye project.
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:06:35 »
I never knew they used rubber domes. How sad!
I'd still have bought it for $5.
Even if you don't want to use it/strip the controller, you could probably sell it for 10X that amount?

Offline msiegel

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 23:25:43 »
did someone say double-shot?

hmm... interesting :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_AnyKey

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 06:36:28 »
I had an AnyKey a while ago and it was a very good keyboard despite having rubber domes. If I remember correctly, it was also reinforced by a steel plate like the IBM's and older Dells's (including Quietkey's).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 September 2009, 20:13:49 »
I purchased today a rubber-dome keyboard which had the reversed-L layout, but with the |\ key between the space bar and the left Alt key, which was moved over to touch the ctrl key.

On the other side, it had a key marked Macro.

I did a web search to see if this keyboard really did the macro function itself, or if software on the computer just did it, and the key only sent a special scan code. I don't have an answer yet, but in that search, I turned up the Gateway AnyKey, and read about it.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of keyboard I would recommend that Unicomp make. After all, it wasn't popular enough for Gateway to keep it around, and the design is as bulky as a 122-key keyboard. But I do think that it would be nice if they could put similar functionality in a smaller keyboard.

One way to avoid the need for a lot of extra keys would be to have "Remap Orig" and "Remap Curr", so you don't need to worry about losing the ability to map the original function of a key you have already remapped something to.