Author Topic: Dealing directly with Cherry?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline kw71

Dealing directly with Cherry?
« on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 03:13:56 »
Hi guys.  I have been using the same 71G4644 for almost 15 years.  I'm getting old now and it's time for something better.

I used to have a BS Model M in the garage, and that started to hurt my hands, and it broke, so I tossed it when I moved.  I really like the buckling spring, and if its heaviness didn't hurt me I would be talking to Unicomp.  A Cherry based keyboard may suit me well.

First of all, I would like to try the blue and brown to see if I can determine which I prefer without buying a whole keyboard.  Has anyone had luck getting MX keyswitch samples from Cherry?

Another important item is that I need a Cyrillic layout now, and am tired of the stickers.  Cherry has several that will be suitable, such as RB and RG, but for a G80-3000 keyboard, this is probably some kind of special order option.  Has anyone approached them about this before?

If I could find the G80-3000 with the housing and switch colors I prefer, would they sell me a set of keycaps?

Even if I had to buy ten complete keyboards, I am reasonably certain that I could sell the remainder, as long as they do not cost $200 each.  I just want to know where to start with them.

I'm in the United States.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 03:25:00 »
Quote from: kw71;116910
First of all, I would like to try the blue and brown to see if I can determine which I prefer without buying a whole keyboard.  Has anyone had luck getting MX keyswitch samples from Cherry?

I don't think Cherry would send you single switch samples.. however you can order single switches at DigiKey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CH196-ND

Personally I don't think going for single switches is a good idea to really test out a switch.. I think you need to type on it properly to judge it.

Quote from: kw71;116910
Another important item is that I need a Cyrillic layout now, and am tired of the stickers.  Cherry has several that will be suitable, such as RB and RG, but for a G80-3000 keyboard, this is probably some kind of special order option.  Has anyone approached them about this before?

If I could find the G80-3000 with the housing and switch colors I prefer, would they sell me a set of keycaps?

I sent a custom OEM order request to the German Cherry distributor a while ago. They were able to offer me a single board with a simple request (I wanted blank keycaps) for around 35% more of the retail price of the normal keyboard (with printed keycaps). I was told that keycaps alone are impossible to order (at least from the distributor).

They did let me choose between Cherry MX black and Cherry MX blue. As far as I know browns are hard to get, even on OEM orders. They probably require a bigger order number.

PS: I made one more requests to them and asked for US layout instead of the European ISO layout. The custom order for only one piece was impossible then and they told me I had to order at least 50.

Hope that helped you a bit.

Offline kw71

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 03:41:00 »
Hi sixty, many thanks for the fast reply.

I am more interested in seeing the differences between the two switches for myself.  Digi-Key's prices are so high that I rarely use them, but frequently order from Mouser so will see if they have stock.

I am very glad to hear that they accommodated your special order for only a nominal cost increase.  Do you know if it's possible or customary for a company in Germany to withhold German tax for an export order?

Hmmm... keybo.de is selling blue and brown G80 with the DE layout for €63 + shipping.  So about €55 without tax.  That is not a bad price, but it may be difficult to get them to ship overseas.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2009, 03:47:16 by kw71 »

Offline spremino

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 04:36:11 »
A cheap solution to try browns is getting an used G80-11800.

Indeed, Cherry keyboards are very difficult to get even here in Europe (Italy). Maybe Webwit is right.

Please let me know by PM (since I'll be away for a while and could lose track of this post) if you succeed in getting blank Cherry keycaps.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline huha

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 07:51:59 »
Which country are you in?
I, for one, do think Cherry will give you switch samples, but you should be in a country they heave a branch in. I'd do everything in writing and send them nice letters detailing your situation and asking for a few switch samples of their switches (be sure to give them the model numbers, they're easily confused by stem colour). For your reference (PCB mount, jumper wire, i.e. what they'll most likely have laying around their factory anyway):

Blues: MX1A-E1JW
Browns: MX1A-G1JW

My experience with Cherry so far: I had some questions. I'm just a hobbyist, so I asked them to take their time, as I'm not interested in making large purchases from them, so bothering with me is just catering to a person interested in the technology (i.e. idiot wasting precious support time without buying lots and lots of keyboards). That said, I got what I wanted and then some, but it took a long time. I don't know how fast they are when it comes to doing business, though, and the fact they'll cater to geeks is a large plus for me (although in the end, they were slightly annoyed when I noticed they forgot to give me one datum and when I asked if they had this as well--apparently, giving out force-displacement diagrams of switches not in their switch datasheet (linear, soft, click, alternate action) has to go through R&D). I received the missing datum printed on a sheet of paper by mail, and they even bothered to include (without me asking them to) 10 (read: 17) switches, although they're the most pathetic switches Cherry produce (the dreaded MX1A-D1JW, aka. MX browns spacebar no one likes).

So I'd say the probability of getting Cherry to send out switch samples is at least not zero. Give it a try, but I'd do everything with letters. E-Mails just don't cut it nowadays, they're quickly and easily sent and no one cares about them. Calling them's a bit better if you like to waste other people's time, but letters are at least persistent and can quickly be given to the people responsible, so I'd go for that.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)