Author Topic: Model M being advertised as F?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Model M being advertised as F?
« on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 02:19:32 »
Hey guys,

I just saw this tonight—someone has a keyboard on eBay that they've described as:

IBM 1394308 1395660 Keyboard Model F Keyboard

It's obviously a Model M, not an F. On the back, someone's stuck a small label over the original part number that says 1395660 (indeed, a p/n for a Model M-122 terminal). But where it usually says "Model M", another small sticker obscures the "M".

The description begins, "This listing is for a vintage IBM model F mechanical keyboard, model 1395660 or 1394308..."

I'm thinking the seller probably just doesn't know what they have. Do you think I should drop them a note? Or would that be presumptuous? What do you guys usually do in a case like this? Wonderingly, A.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 April 2015, 02:25:57 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

Re: Model M being advertised as F?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 02:33:19 »
My opinion on this listing is that there is no deception intended by the seller. The price isn't out of control. They seem pretty honest about condition and they are selling a bunch of other random vintage stuff. At worst I would say they are familiar with the model M reputation so to speak, but not knowledgeable.

If you see a listing on E'bay and you know in your mind that something is off then you should contact the seller. If you have no luck then you could try reporting it but I believe that E'bay arn't concerned unless there are a bunch of reports.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 04:16:58 »
I don't think the seller's trying to pull a fast one. I think they got the board with "Model M" already obscured, and maybe they did an image search, saw some F's, and figured this was one too.

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility of someone looking for an F who doesn't know that much about them—just that they're great, rare and highly desirable—and who buys this thinking it's one.

Maybe I'll just drop the seller a quick, friendly note pointing out the oversight, and see what happens. Cheers, A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 04:48:58 »
Okay, I dropped the guy a note:

Quote from: Ander
I know this is none of my business, so I'm sorry to bother you, and hope I'm not just being annoying... I thought I'd point out that this isn't a Model F; it's a Model M. Model F's are considerably older and their mechanisms are considerably different. They have metal backs, not plastic, and have a square metal IBM logo at the right side, rather than the newer printed IBM logo at the left.

If you're curious, Wikipedia's pages on "IBM Model F" and "IBM Enhanced Keyboard" (about the Model M) have photos and details.

I just thought it might save you and your potential buyers some trouble if I mentioned this. I'll stop bothering you now. :?) Cheers, Ander

He immediately responded:

Quote from: eBay seller
Gah! I hate you! So annoying! Jk. Thanks for the information. I'll change that once I get home. I am more familiar with alps and cherry switches. Although I really like the feeling of these buckling springs.

So, seems like it was the right thing to do. Gotta say, I jumped a bit when I read the first part—LOL. – A.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 04:54:49 »
Okay, I dropped the guy a note:

Quote from: Ander
I know this is none of my business, so I'm sorry to bother you, and hope I'm not just being annoying... I thought I'd point out that this isn't a Model F; it's a Model M. Model F's are considerably older and their mechanisms are considerably different. They have metal backs, not plastic, and have a square metal IBM logo at the right side, rather than the newer printed IBM logo at the left.

If you're curious, Wikipedia's pages on "IBM Model F" and "IBM Enhanced Keyboard" (about the Model M) have photos and details.

I just thought it might save you and your potential buyers some trouble if I mentioned this. I'll stop bothering you now. :?) Cheers, Ander

He immediately responded:

Quote from: eBay seller
Gah! I hate you! So annoying! Jk. Thanks for the information. I'll change that once I get home. I am more familiar with alps and cherry switches. Although I really like the feeling of these buckling springs.

So, seems like it was the right thing to do. Gotta say, I jumped a bit when I read the first part—LOL. – A.

Good result. He is a keyboard enthusiast also?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 05:05:14 »
To some extent, apparently... I invited him here and told him how cool it was, natch.