Author Topic: Mixed Linear and Tactile  (Read 1165 times)

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
Mixed Linear and Tactile
« on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 03:28:38 »
As has been noted here, well-designed keyboards will use different springs for keys customarily actuated by different fingers. Since the little finger, the pinkie, is not as strong as the index finger, the keys it handles get keys actuated by a smaller force, to provide the same subjective ease of pressing a key for all the keys.

A crazy idea has just occurred to me, and in this group, there would be people who have tried enough keyboards to know if it's ever been done.

A key switch with what is called a "tactile" response curve basically tells the fingers "you're done" once the "click" point is passed and the actuation force temporarily decreases.

That message makes sense for regular typing keys. But it's the opposite of the message you want to send for the shift keys (shift, ctrl, alt) which are to be held down while other keys are pressed.

Has anyone sold a keyboard where tactile key switches are used in most of hte positions... but the shift keys have linear switches?

Offline kw71

Mixed Linear and Tactile
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2009, 04:06:29 »
I think I have seen this before.  It may have been on a Zenith SuperSport.  That was a long time ago, so I can't be certain.