Author Topic: mac-specific keyboards: DSI modmac,...?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline gio_italy

mac-specific keyboards: DSI modmac,...?
« on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 08:14:23 »
Hello there!

I've just bought a Macbook (I used to own a thinkpad running linux) and an external monitor and now I want a quality external keyboard.
First, I'm Italian but I tend to prefer the US layout so I don't really have problems buying US-only keyboards.

After looking around, I am now leaning toward the DSI modmac keyboard. Unfortunately it seems the keyboard sits a bit too high on the desk which is probably a problem for me since I tend to rest on the wrists as I type.

Do those who own the DSI modmac keyboard think that this is a problem? Should I just learn proper form or maybe buy a wristrest?

Are there other mac-specific options at a reasonable price that I missed?

Thanks in advance
Gio

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 09:31:15 »
I really liked the Datadesk 'lil Big Board:
http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_base.html

I think it had some sort of ALPS switches.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 13:53:43 »
Quote from: gio_italy;117245
Hello there!
Are there other mac-specific options at a reasonable price that I missed?

Are you buying "mac-specific" keyboards because you're concerned that you may have compatibility problems with other keyboards or is it for other reasons?

If you're worried about compatibility, I don't think you need to write off all "non-Mac" keyboards. I have a couple of Macs and I've hardly ever used a "mac" keyboard. The only keyboards I avoid are ones that have a lot of extra buttons that require bundled software to configure and the software is Windows only.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Meyvn

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 14:04:36 »
Personally I'm trying the "cheap route" first, and going with one of Micro Connectors's "flavored" boards.  Which, shipped ConUS, are $25USD.  Dunno if they ship internationally, but you can certainly ask them.  Supposedly they have black alps.  I'll be getting it in Monday and listing some impressions shortly thereafter.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 14:55:56 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;117307
Are you buying "mac-specific" keyboards because you're concerned that you may have compatibility problems with other keyboards or is it for other reasons?

Well, the Mac keyboard is incompatible with the PC keyboard in two areas. The Windows keys are on the outside of the Alt keys on a PC, but the Option keys correspond to the Alt keys on a Mac keyboard, and they are not the ones closest to the spacebar. Also, a Mac keyboard has an extra key on the numeric keypad.

A keyboard certainly could be designed to give maximum Mac and PC compatibility, but with existing keyboards, there are minor issues.

Offline rdh

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 15:44:55 »
Quote from: quadibloc;117319
The Windows keys are on the outside of the Alt keys on a PC, but the Option keys correspond to the Alt keys on a Mac keyboard, and they are not the ones closest to the spacebar.

This minor nuisance is easily tweaked away:
Run "System Preferences", click on the "Keyboard & Mouse" icon, then select the "Keyboard" tab, and click the "Modifier Keys" button.
The set of controls there can change the meanings of the Alt ("Option") and Windows logo ("Command") keys (among others), which you can use to swap 'em.
If you like, you could also reassign the meaning of the Caps Lock key while you're there.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline stevster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 16:19:57 »
I agree with the others, no need of a specific "Mac keyboard", the system preferences panel is all you need for customize every keyboard.

I'd like to have a keyboard without the ugly "windows" keys though.
IBM Model M 1391404
Apple Extended Keyboard
Apple Extended Keyboard II
Filco Majestouch

Very few tactile mech keyboards are available in Italian layout...

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 September 2009, 17:48:11 »
For any keys that you can't adjust in your OS X System Preferences, there's a program out there called Keyboard Maestro that gives you a lot more control over remapping your keyboard.

I use that program to mimic some of my favorite Matias Optimizer shortcuts on my Filco while I wait to see if the Tactile Pro 3 ever comes out and if it's any good.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline gio_italy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 02:23:56 »
Hello

Thanks to everyone for the quick and informative replies.

First, given that I am going to shell out >100 euros for a keyboard that will be used in a mac-only environment I would first consider mac-specific options (options&command keys in the right order, no windows logo... :-).
That said, if going mac-specific is too limiting I guess I can look around for non-mac keyboards. In this respect, is the menu key on the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch easily remappable in osx (without third party software) ?

Btw, any opinions on the DSI modular keyboard which is mac-specific and features volume keys?
Is the modular keyboard made by Fentec

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmmacbub.htm

a rebranded DSI modmac keyboard?

thanks in advance
Gio

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 10:00:00 »
Quote from: gio_italy;117411
In this respect, is the menu key on the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch easily remappable in osx (without third party software) ?

I have a Tactile Touch 104-Key with my Mac and yup it's very easily remappable. There's no special volume keys, but third party software can help you remap those too.
-

Offline rdh

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 13:17:15 »
In this respect, is the menu key on the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch easily remappable in osx (without third party software) ?

The settings panel I mentioned looks like this:

...so I believe third-party software is required to remap the Menu key.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 September 2009, 16:40:09 »
Hello

Thanks to everyone for the quick and informative replies.

First, given that I am going to shell out >100 euros for a keyboard that will be used in a mac-only environment I would first consider mac-specific options (options&command keys in the right order, no windows logo... :-).
That said, if going mac-specific is too limiting I guess I can look around for non-mac keyboards. In this respect, is the menu key on the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch easily remappable in osx (without third party software) ?

Btw, any opinions on the DSI modular keyboard which is mac-specific and features volume keys?
Is the modular keyboard made by Fentec

http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmmacbub.htm

a rebranded DSI modmac keyboard?

thanks in advance
Gio

I'm using a Filco on my Mac.  It works out great since the "alt" and "windows" (or in this case, "option" and "command") keys are the same size.  Meaning they can easily be popped off and swapped positions.  Then it's very easy to change your modifier keys in the mac osx preferences as I think somebody above illustrated.  And since my keyboard is blank I don't have to look at windows logos on my keys.:smile:  But I still get the little round bump on the often-used "command" key.

You should be able to use just about any usb keyboard.