Author Topic: Anybody had issues with Keyboard not letting windows load  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Lycoth

Anybody had issues with Keyboard not letting windows load
« on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 14:06:28 »
Hi guys, i hope you're all well!

Sorry for my long absence. I've been so incredibly busy over the last 8 months or so. No time for keyboards or anything computer related! More recently I've had time to get involved and started lurking again. I came across a really weird issue last night. I know this isn't tech support but as well as needing help (And I know most of you are way more intelligent than I) I think it would also be interesting given it seems somewhat keyboard related.

So. Last night I got a new headset, plugged it in, booted and then suddenly issues.

So what is happening is, I boot, it all loads fine, can get into BIOS, mouse and keyboard power on fine, then the windows logo comes up, the keyboard will power down and then it just sits on a black screen instead of showing the log in screen (mouse still has power).

If I unplug the keyboard and boot, it boots fine. Also, if I go into BIOS and change a USB setting such as Intel xHCI Mode, it will then boot fine, but the next time it will do the same issue. Leaving these settings changed does not resolve the issue.

As I said, it only started since I plugged the headset in, however it is still doing it with the headset now removed, so it may very well be coincidence. It does this on both USB 3.0 and 2.0.

I believe that windows was trying to update at the time when I powered it on and experienced this issue for the first time. I am currently waiting for a new keyboard to try that to see if it's a keyboard issue (Ducky Mini, MX Reds, my first ever Reds!), but I thought I'd post to see if anybody else had experienced this beforehand.

Windows 8.1, ASUS Maximus VII Ranger, Ducky Shine 3.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. My lack of Geekhacking has left me unable to correctly forum!  ;D

Hope you all have a nice day!

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Anybody had issues with Keyboard not letting windows load
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:16:26 »
Did you try removing software / drivers relating to the headset?

Have you tried a windows rollback?

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:23:22 »
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I didn't think to remove drivers. This issue happened the very first time I started up the PC after plugging it in, so I was under the impression that drivers would be irrelevant as they would not install until windows was actually booted. There is no software for the headset. Its plug n play.

I haven't yet tried a windows rollback. I was interested to see if anybody had a solution / knowledge of this issue first. On the only other thread I found around this issue, the guy said he done a reinstall but it had not helped the issue at all.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:31:42 »
I'll probably read through this when time allows but I have had this with my 4704 IBM f keyboard with an xwhatsit USB controller.  Very intermittent.  Unplugging and plugging back in solves this 100% of the time for me.  Reinstalling drivers did not fix the issue.  Running windows 8.1 pro.  UEFI bios on a gigabyte mobo.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:41:10 »
Thanks Touch_It. I don't think I actually tried a simple unplug, plug back in, I always tried switching USB ports and as you said, it did work after, until the next time I'd shut down.

I should mention, this keyboard hasn't had an issue for the year I've had it. It simply just started this suddenly. The only issue I've had with it is needing to plug the cable in only halfway, as it doesn't work when its fully in (the result of a cup of tea iirc).

This whole thing took me by surprise. I figured a USB keyboard would either work, or wouldn't work. I never thought it would cause windows to fall over.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:34:06 »
I have had a lot of trouble with USB 3.0 ports that never turned up under earlier versions.

The first thing that I would do would be to make sure that everything was plugged into basic USB ports.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 18:44:37 »
At the moment my keyboard is plugged into 2.0 and other stuff in 3.0. When I'm home I can take everything out and try with only keyboard and mouse in 2.0 (only 2 slots for 2.0), but as the problem only seems related to the keyboard, I am doubtful it will help.

Thanks for your reply :)

I'm not sure if I'll be more happy or annoyed if the new keyboard tomorrow fixes it. I hate not know why something is doing what it is.

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 19:05:23 »
Just an update,

I found this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2721719

It seems more or less what I'm experiencing. I don't understand the details of how it handles all of this, however it seems like for whatever reason my keyboard is stopping this from happening.

Would anybody have any ideas with this new found information?

Thanks all for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Offline Lycoth

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 04:27:22 »
Hi friends,

Just wanted to update you. I tried a restore, no help. I fiddled around more (As I always want to do stuff like this when i'm tired and i just got home from a 12 hour nightshift!) and I managed to get it to fault even with the keyboard unplugged. This led me to believe that the times before were potentially just a ridiculous coincidence. I ended up just doing a clean install of windows. Formatted both hard drives and whipped it back on. So far so good. I've restarted a few times without problem. I must admit, considering how my computer was booting before to now, there is a HUGE difference. I had Windows on an SSD and before it seemed to be taking longer than it should. Now it's almost instantaneous.

So thanks for all your help, but maybe it wasn't keyboard related after all. What a crazy (and annoying turn of events!). I hope you all have a great weekend!