Author Topic: How do I add cherry keys and lock lights to a Model F?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
How do I add cherry keys and lock lights to a Model F?
« on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 19:47:30 »
I have a Model F currently wired up to a teensy. It is taking up the standard 4 pins on the teensy, so there are many spare pins that are going unused.

The spacebar is too long and I have removed it. I made the spacebar a 1.5u key, so there is plenty of space on either side of that key.

Now I would like to add some Cherry keyswitches to either side of the spacekey. I also want to add lock lights to the model F. I figure I will use hot glue to attach the switches, making them removable in future.

How do I go about executing this? Being uneducated in electricity I don’t really know how to do this wiring up. I also don’t know how to program the teensy to accept input from both a standard model F keyboard, as well as to recognize the direct wiring of some keys.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fanpeople

Re: How do I add cherry keys and lock lights to a Model F?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 02:45:18 »
I cannot help you but I am highly interested in this project and would like to see some photos.

I have cherry switches wired up to the teensy I use for my (was yours) 50key. I used the AUX Positions to wire in the switches with Soarers. But I think the Model F is used with a different program?

98815-0

I would avoid the next photo if you take pride/have OCD when it comes to wiring etc......

More
98817-1

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 06:11:07 »
fanpeople, that is one very nicely built device! But I can't understand your wiring. I am basically looking for idiot proof instructions eg wire lead x to pad y. But am I to understand that you used a Ps2 cable for the 50 key to the teensy box, then changed the scancodes in the teensy? That would leave many spare pads to play around with, which is what you seem to have now. And at the same time you have 3 additional Cherry switches? This looks very very good.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 06:42:30 »
fanpeople, that is one very nicely built device! But I can't understand your wiring. I am basically looking for idiot proof instructions eg wire lead x to pad y. But am I to understand that you used a Ps2 cable for the 50 key to the teensy box, then changed the scancodes in the teensy? That would leave many spare pads to play around with, which is what you seem to have now. And at the same time you have 3 additional Cherry switches? This looks very very good.

Cheers, that is exactly what it is. PS2 to the teensy and then using the extra inputs for the cherry switches. What program are you using with the teensy? I can do up a simple diagram if you are using Soarers? But if not then it wouldn't be any help.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 07:58:06 »
I cannot help you but I am highly interested in this project and would like to see some photos.

I have cherry switches wired up to the teensy I use for my (was yours) 50key. I used the AUX Positions to wire in the switches with Soarers. But I think the Model F is used with a different program?

(Attachment Link)

I would avoid the next photo if you take pride/have OCD when it comes to wiring etc......

More

Where did that box come from?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 18:32:22 »

(Attachment Link)

More

Where did that box come from?

It was originally a r/d numpad.

98983-0

Like the ones in this ended ebay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Vintage-IBM-keypad-ps2-/351299412958?nma=true&si=Qiqe7m%252FL0kOhPKGKnsPGSnP0U6Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557