Author Topic: MX switch tool  (Read 2582 times)

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
MX switch tool
« on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 11:48:36 »
I was wondering if anybody who has a switch tool can do me a favor.  I was thinking of producing these, and I could try my own measurements, but it would be a huge help if someone who has a tool or knows the precise measurement of the spacing and depth of a switch, and can share that it would help me.

*edited for clarity
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 00:51:26 by whizzard »

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
Re: MX switch tool
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:44:39 »
There's a google sketchup with all of the specifications, which I think will be more precise than the ruler-picture method  ;D
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:48:54 by JonasDK »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 12:54:00 »
If you plan on producing something for sale, you should be doing your own R&D and not copying the work of others. Sorry if this comes off as being ****ish, but it is pretty easy to mock something up in TinkerCAD and to pull out a pair of calipers and measure the switch.  If you don't have decent calipers, I'm sure people would be willing to give you some measurements of the switch housing.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 00:48:36 »
If you plan on producing something for sale, you should be doing your own R&D and not copying the work of others. Sorry if this comes off as being ****ish, but it is pretty easy to mock something up in TinkerCAD and to pull out a pair of calipers and measure the switch.  If you don't have decent calipers, I'm sure people would be willing to give you some measurements of the switch housing.

I was not 3D printing one if that is what you meant (no 3D printer), I am making it from scratch... mocking something up in TinkerCAD wouldn't help I don't think.

I was not planning on copying the work of others... maybe I should have worded it more properly.  I do not have a caliper... and need the measurements of the switch that a tool can fit into if someone has it.  I am not copying anyone's design, just the measurements of the part that interacts with the switch.  That is what I wanted a picture of.  Kind of like someone who makes tools trying to find out the measurement of the head of a #10 Phillips Head Screwdriver.  I should have chosen my words more carefully... and edited the original request.  I don't want to use or make a cast or copy of someone else's tool... it is a precise measurement and I wanted to get it as easy as I could to save a lot of time.

I think I might just pick up a caliper, as I will need one to produce my own anyhow.  Also, I am not sure how to figure out the depth the prongs should go, but I guess I could just trial and error that part.

I also wasn't really planning on selling them.. just do a lot of work on switches and can't find a tool for sale anywhere.  Maybe give some to friends or members that I deal with...  If you know of any for sale, let me know.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 01:12:00 by whizzard »

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 01:02:26 »
There's a google sketchup with all of the specifications, which I think will be more precise than the ruler-picture method  ;D

Just to be sure, this diagram has the exact specs of a cherry mx switch?  I tried finding the specs but could only find measurements of the switch without the spacing and depth of the "prong holes" or whatever they are referred to.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 01:54:46 »
I can't help you with the design. But I think the switch tool for Cherry MX switch is simple.
So far, the switch tool (Titanium) from beast is simply the best. If you can come up with a different design, it would be great.

However, for me, since I only have my DIY half-switch-tool so I can only know the distance between 2 prong holes is about 6mm, the width of prong hole is about 2mm.

99182-0
I like linear switches

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 02:11:36 »
I can't help you with the design. But I think the switch tool for Cherry MX switch is simple.
So far, the switch tool (Titanium) from beast is simply the best. If you can come up with a different design, it would be great.

However, for me, since I only have my DIY half-switch-tool so I can only know the distance between 2 prong holes is about 6mm, the width of prong hole is about 2mm.

(Attachment Link)

Thank you... this was just the info I was looking for.  I guess it is a moot point though, as I will need to get my own caliper anyways unless I want to spend a ton of time with trial and error... and I can use that to measure the switch.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 02:17:49 by whizzard »

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 05:21:11 »
Here are some additional pictures on caliper but indeed you must do a ton of trial and error before coming up with the design.

Basically, a screwdriver with slotted tip can easily and harmlessly open the switch (the tip specification: 0.3mm thickness, 2mm width, 5mm long)
I like linear switches

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:44:47 »
Here are some additional pictures on caliper but indeed you must do a ton of trial and error before coming up with the design.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Basically, a screwdriver with slotted tip can easily and harmlessly open the switch (the tip specification: 0.3mm thickness, 2mm width, 5mm long)

A big thank you for doing this for me... it will help me out a lot.  I can get started with what you provided.  Much appreciated.  If and when I ever get a working tool finished I will send one your way  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 May 2015, 10:50:44 by whizzard »